The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I attempted this a few years back with cam while studying at UCL. I had to have written support from my uni saying they're happy for me to apply (only some cam colleges said this).

After a while though I decided UCL was for me and that starting again at cambridge didn't have that great a benefit after all.

So basically contact colleges after results if you get rejected and work from there.
Reply 2
People ask this every year, both around interviews time and close to A level results day. In practice, there are very few people that seem to actually make the leap. If you take up a place at another university but end up going to Oxford a year later, you'll be paying unnecessarily for tuition and accommodation and you're probably not going to be much better off academically people who are likely to get into Oxford but miss out will almost always end up at another top university.

If you're completely committed to giving Oxford another go, it might be better to take a gap year and do something worthwhile (e.g. getting some life experience); you could see a lot of the world for £9k.
Reply 3
Original post by thescottie
I'm terrified that I'm going to get a rejection tomorrow, so I was just curious; if I don't get it and take up an offer at another university (my second choice is King's), can I drop out after a year and reapply to Oxford if I really don't enjoy my second choice?
You can, but it's a high risk strategy, because you might not be successful, and then you will have lost out on what you did have.

If it doesn't work out today, then the decision to make is whether to take a gap year and reapply next year. However, you can leave that decision until Results Day - so if you get stellar grades and your interview feedback from Oxford gives you something to work on to improve your chances, you can make an informed decision as to whether it's worth another shot. At least if you were to be unsuccessful again, you would have other options to choose from, whereas if you have dropped out from a course you would have to start all over again. Expensive as well as demoralising.
Reply 4
Okay, so I got a rejection. I'm going to try out King's for a year, but if I really don't like it, I'm definitely allowed to reapply if I've done a year somewhere else?
Reply 5
Okay, so I got a rejection. I'm going to try out King's for a year, but if I really don't like it, I'm definitely allowed to reapply if I've done a year somewhere else?
I'm sorry to hear that - I know it's disappointing.

While I wouldn't recommend it, as I've already said, you can certainly reapply having done a year somewhere else, but only for first year entry (ie you can't transfer into year 2), and not (as far as I know) while you are a current student at another university.
Reply 6
Original post by Minerva
...not (as far as I know) while you are a current student at another university.

IIRC it's discouraged at Cambridge (you're a Tab/ex-Tab I presume?) but 'Oxford University welcomes applications from students who are currently studying at another university'

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547
Reply 7
Original post by shoshin
IIRC it's discouraged at Cambridge (you're a Tab/ex-Tab I presume?) but 'Oxford University welcomes applications from students who are currently studying at another university'

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547
Nah, Tabland decided they could do without me :smile:

Thanks for that link - helpful.
Reply 8
Original post by Minerva
Nah, Tabland decided they could do without me :smile:

:console: Their loss :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by shoshin
:console: Their loss :yep:
Well, I've always thought so :lol:
Hi

I'm more curious about as to how Oxford admissions usually view applicants from other (arguably) top universities in UK?

Would they be more selective towards those applicants, for whatever reason it may be? Would they also be concerned about the one year gap with normal undergraduate applicants?

Or, would they, just as they say on their prospectus, select applicants solely based on academic excellence, potential etc etc... and would not disadvantage those who are already taking an undergraduate course/gap year?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by AutumnBreeze321
Or, would they, just as they say on their prospectus, select applicants solely based on academic excellence, potential etc etc... and would not disadvantage those who are already taking an undergraduate course/gap year?

Thanks in advance!
I've highlighted the key words here. If that's what it says, that's what they mean.
Original post by Minerva
I'm sorry to hear that - I know it's disappointing.

While I wouldn't recommend it, as I've already said, you can certainly reapply having done a year somewhere else, but only for first year entry (ie you can't transfer into year 2), and not (as far as I know) while you are a current student at another university.

So would I have to inform the university that I will be studying that I am applying to Oxford?
So would I have to inform the university that I will be studying that I am applying to Oxford?
Well, normally I would say yes, because you'd be asking them for an academic reference. However, with the deadline being so early, no-one at the uni would have anything much to say yet, so I suppose it's up to you.

However, you will have to enter the uni you are attending on your UCAS, so Oxford will know you are there.
Reply 14
I have a family friend who did this two years ago. Key point is he didn't tell oxford he was already studying Economics at Durham and got in for PPE. He applied with a reference from one of his teachers at his old school and dropped straight out of Durham literally a few weeks after hearing he got an (obviously unconditional) offer... At interview they asked him 'what he'd been up to' and he pretty much lied and said travelling, studying etc. but he said they asked it just to open the interview and calm nerves etc. they didn't actually seem to care about what he was doing... (he also applied to the LSE for Econ and Gov and was rejected around February - after he had dropped out of Durham)
Original post by UTG8
I have a family friend who did this two years ago. Key point is he didn't tell oxford he was already studying Economics at Durham and got in for PPE. He applied with a reference from one of his teachers at his old school and dropped straight out of Durham literally a few weeks after hearing he got an (obviously unconditional) offer... At interview they asked him 'what he'd been up to' and he pretty much lied and said travelling, studying etc. but he said they asked it just to open the interview and calm nerves etc. they didn't actually seem to care about what he was doing... (he also applied to the LSE for Econ and Gov and was rejected around February - after he had dropped out of Durham)
If your friend is telling the truth, in that case his application was technically fraudulent, as you are required to declare all educational institutions attended since the age of 11, including universities. It is theoretically possible, if this omission came to light, for him to be thrown out on the basis that his application was knowingly incomplete.

Is it really about if you don't like it though or is it just the prestige? I don't see how you won't like KCL, I love it. Doing postgrad so might be different but I think it's amazing. Plus being in London has a lot of advantages.
Hi

I'm more curious about as to how Oxford admissions usually view applicants from other (arguably) top universities in UK?

Would they be more selective towards those applicants, for whatever reason it may be? Would they also be concerned about the one year gap with normal undergraduate applicants?

Thanks in advance!

I applied to Oxford after dropping out of UCL for a completely different subject, in a path which means I will be 2 years older than the other Oxford freshers come Oct. I was asked about this in interview (why I dropped out etc.) but I just answered honestly and the interviewers were very understanding and nice about the whole thing. I still got an offer so I feel like they genuinely don't hold it against you, they just want to know why you dropped out of uni and what you're doing now.

I know it's a different situation to yours but I want to show that even on a strange path like mine they are really only looking for academic excellence and potential for the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Minerva
If your friend is telling the truth, in that case his application was technically fraudulent, as you are required to declare all educational institutions attended since the age of 11, including universities. It is theoretically possible, if this omission came to light, for him to be thrown out on the basis that his application was knowingly incomplete.

I see what you're saying and you're right - but in fairness he had submitted UCAS before actually starting at Durham - would that still need to made explicit? I've seen another thread saying it's not, doubtful about how reliable it is though...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1974196&page=2

EDIT: extra info - He submitted his UCAS application in very late September
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UTG8
I see what you're saying and you're right - but in fairness he had submitted UCAS before actually starting at Durham - would that still need to made explicit? I've seen another thread saying it's not, doubtful about how reliable it is though...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1974196&page=2

EDIT: extra info - He submitted his UCAS application in very late September
And did so knowing that he was heading for Durham? Technically dishonest, I'd say, but as he wouldn't have actually enrolled at that point it's a bit of a moot point. However, his being economical with the truth at interview - if not actually telling barefaced lies - doesn't encourage me to be positive about his honesty and integrity. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, personally.

Latest

Trending

Trending