The Student Room Group

drop out of school with unconditional?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by watchingyouwatch
You may or may not be disadvantaged but that doesn't mean there isn't an advantage to doing it. If you want to study the subject at university having a greater understanding of it is going to be a good thing. You will also end up at university with English students who will have done A level and Scottish students who did do Advanced Higher therefore you will be playing catch up with them. You say you can't stand school- that well maybe- but what if you don't like university , or some of the lectures- will you just walk away from that to? It is only 6 months till you leave- why can't you just put your head down- work hard and do well in the exams.
? What would you do with the time if you quit- If you don't use it in a constructive way what exactly have you achieved by quitting ?

You say you don't want comments about what dropping out of school says about your mindset but the fact that you don't want to hear valid criticisms of your plans says something about your mindset as well. IN fact you don't actually want advise at all. As neonpingu said- you seem to have already made up your mind and just want people to make you feel OK about the decision.

If you want to drop out, drop out it is your life but maybe before you go to university try and learn that ignoring advise and other points of view without at lest thinking about it probably will not stand you in very good stead once you start University level education.

I suppose I should thank you for your long response. However, what you have said is mostly unrelated to my original question.
I simply wanted to know if a uni would retract my unconditional if I left school, which thankfully some people have answered (thank you, those people).
The reasons why I want to leave school are issues I don't want to share, but I know I would not be affected by them if I left school, hence why I'm keen to leave.
The majority of Scottish students do not sit advanced higher or continue into 6th year. My school is unusual in the fact that they only help us to apply for uni when we get into 6th year, hence why I am currently doing a 6th year. Several other students in my year have left, having got help from the school to apply.
I don't feel like I have to tell you what I'd do with my time if I quit, but of course I would spend it constructively.
By saying that I don't want criticism of my mindset means that my mindset is not what's important here- as I said earlier, I want to know if a uni would retract an offer. My decisions/mindset have nothing to do with this.
I didn't post this for advice, I simply wanted to know if leaving school would change an unconditional offer.
Don't ask advice if you're going to argue against every single piece of advice you're given and keep on at people with a different view to yours. You've obviously already made your mind up so I don't know why you're even asking. End of.
Original post by Riverstar
I suppose I should thank you for your long response. However, what you have said is mostly unrelated to my original question.
I simply wanted to know if a uni would retract my unconditional if I left school, which thankfully some people have answered (thank you, those people).
The reasons why I want to leave school are issues I don't want to share, but I know I would not be affected by them if I left school, hence why I'm keen to leave.
The majority of Scottish students do not sit advanced higher or continue into 6th year. My school is unusual in the fact that they only help us to apply for uni when we get into 6th year, hence why I am currently doing a 6th year. Several other students in my year have left, having got help from the school to apply.
I don't feel like I have to tell you what I'd do with my time if I quit, but of course I would spend it constructively.
By saying that I don't want criticism of my mindset means that my mindset is not what's important here- as I said earlier, I want to know if a uni would retract an offer. My decisions/mindset have nothing to do with this.
I didn't post this for advice, I simply wanted to know if leaving school would change an unconditional offer.

My reply was in response to your post saying that you wouldn't be disadvantaged- I felt that this was not necessarily true - you of course are at liberty to disagree with that but it is a little rude of you to suggest that I shouldn't have responded to it. :smile:

Of course you don't need to tell anyone on a forum anything you don't want to and if you check with the university that made you the offer that they are happy for you to quit ( the advise that I, and many others, gave earlier in the thread) then you can leave school and take up your place next September.

You keep saying the majority of students don't take Advanced Higher and of course statistically that is true ( About 18% of pupils in Scotland took at least one Advanced Higher in 2014) However what you have to consider is that only about 34% pupils in Scotland get 4 or more Highers (at any grade) and the number of pupils with 4 or 5 A's will be very small. It is therefore not difficult to work out that many of the pupils applying to the more prestigious universities will have taken one or more Advanced Higher and most of the English students will have an A level in it. Just because people have left your school after getting an unconditional offer doesn't automatically mean that it is the best course of action to take.

Also the vast majority of Scottish students who go to university do go to 6th year - the number who go straight from 5th year is very small.

You don't want advise- fair enough- maybe you don't need it, but your dismissive attitude to anyone who suggested that you might not have considered the advantages of continuing school,and your sarcastic reply to me suggest that you are being extremely defensive of your decision.

As you are unhappy at school- I hope that who ever made you an offer is happy for you to leave school and that you enjoy and excel at University when you get there but please consider that just occasionally people might be giving you advise that is at least worth considering - even if it isn't what you wanted to hear .

I
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by emiloujess
Don't ask advice if you're going to argue against every single piece of advice you're given and keep on at people with a different view to yours. You've obviously already made your mind up so I don't know why you're even asking. End of.

As I said, all I wanted was a simple answer: would a uni retract an unconditional if I left school?
I'm not particularly wanting advice, but I'll answer those who give it.
Reply 24
Original post by watchingyouwatch
My reply was in response to your post saying that you wouldn't be disadvantaged- I felt that this was not necessarily true - you of course are at liberty to disagree with that but it is a little rude of you to suggest that I shouldn't have responded to it. :smile:

Of course you don't need to tell anyone on a forum anything you don't want to and if you check with the university that made you the offer that they are happy for you to quit ( the advise that I, and many others, gave earlier in the thread) then you can leave school and take up your place next September.

You keep saying the majority of students don't take Advanced Higher and of course statistically that is true ( About 18% of pupils in Scotland took at least one Advanced Higher in 2014) However what you have to consider is that only about 34% pupils in Scotland get 4 or more Highers (at any grade) and the number of pupils with 4 or 5 A's will be very small. It is therefore not difficult to work out that many of the pupils applying to the more prestigious universities will have taken one or more Advanced Higher and most of the English students will have an A level in it. Just because people have left your school after getting an unconditional offer doesn't automatically mean that it is the best course of action to take.

Also the vast majority of Scottish students who go to university do go to 6th year - the number who go straight from 5th year is very small.

You don't want advise- fair enough- maybe you don't need it, but your dismissive attitude to anyone who suggested that you might not have considered the advantages of continuing school,and your sarcastic reply to me suggest that you are being extremely defensive of your decision.

As you are unhappy at school- I hope that who ever made you an offer is happy for you to leave school and that you enjoy and excel at University when you get there but please consider that just occasionally people might be giving you advise that is at least worth considering - even if it isn't what you wanted to hear .

I

Thanks for your polite reply, sorry I was such a dick earlier. I can be really mean online and forget that it affects someone just as much as if it were face-to-face. Sorry again.
Original post by Riverstar
Thanks for your polite reply, sorry I was such a dick earlier. I can be really mean online and forget that it affects someone just as much as if it were face-to-face. Sorry again.

No problem I didn't take offence but I appreciate the apology anyway :smile: Good luck and enjoy university when you get there.
Reply 26
Wow. The amount of people who didn't understand the Scottish system was hilarious:')
you will have difficulty applying for graduate schemes without A-Level grades; a lot of them have a UCAS points filter.
Read the thread, OP has the Scottish Higher grades already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending