The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Funky_Giraffe
In truth, they want to look at your UMS percentages rather than the module grades. Clearly it's more favourable if your UMS percentages are higher. Presumably they use this as a numerical comparison between you and other similar candidates as part of their selection process for interviews.

But not everyone is asked for ums, I was asked solely for module grades and I have an interview
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
In truth, they want to look at your UMS percentages rather than the module grades. Clearly it's more favourable if your UMS percentages are higher. Presumably they use this as a numerical comparison between you and other similar candidates as part of their selection process for interviews.

Even though people have mentioned their Ums Percentages in their references they have still asked for module grades.
Original post by blxckatoro
But not everyone is asked for ums, I was asked solely for module grades and I have an interview

Original post by 
Even though people have mentioned their Ums Percentages in their references they have still asked for module grades.

I was also asked for "Module grades" as was the subject of the email. Nowhere in the email did it ask specifically for UMS but some of my friends who got an identical email only sent Module Grades (no UMS marks) and got a reply email stating they had to include UMS and therefore to resend.
I was also asked for "Module grades" as was the subject of the email. Nowhere in the email did it ask specifically for UMS but some of my friends who got an identical email only sent Module Grades (no UMS marks) and got a reply email stating they had to include UMS and therefore to resend.

Which shows there's no correlation 😂 A friend of mine has an offer and he hasn't been asked of his module grades ums or work experience

Yeah, okay, but even though UCL already know about UMS of the subject they wanted module grades. Perhaps it's the UMS of each module needed rather than the ums of the whole subject but i don't see any reason for that.
Original post by Pellucid
Any other gap yearers still waiting to hear?

I am too, Im not sure if there any spaces left for us? but surely we would of had a rejection by now?
Reply 466
I got rejected from UCL with a 97% UMS average across 4 subjects stated in my reference and a BMAT score of 6.3 6.9 3A. So either my reference was left unread or some other part of my application was used as an excuse to reject me.
Original post by mh0133
I got rejected from UCL with a 97% UMS average across 4 subjects stated in my reference and a BMAT score of 6.3 6.9 3A. So either my reference was left unread or some other part of my application was used as an excuse to reject me.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection but I'm sure with these stats you would probably be able to easily get in somewhere else!
May I ask are you a school leaver or a gap year or an international student?
Reply 468
Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UCL?
Reply 469
Original post by ajf258

Many, including me :smile:
Original post by 
Yeah, okay, but even though UCL already know about UMS of the subject they wanted module grades. Perhaps it's the UMS of each module needed rather than the ums of the whole subject but i don't see any reason for that.

How do they know the UMS of each subject before we told them?
How do they know the UMS of each subject before we told them?

I'm saying, some people have already stated the ums of each subject in their reference and they still asked for module grades.
Original post by 
I'm saying, some people have already stated the ums of each subject in their reference and they still asked for module grades.

That's because in many people's references they will only quote the UMS of certain modules within an exam which the pupil has done particularly well so in that sense the reference can be manipulative - ie. if a student gets 100% UMS in practical chemistry but only 75%UMS in unit 1, then saying "this pupil got 100%UMS in practical chemistry" is not representative. In order to make a fair comparison for those people UMS was asked of, the official exam slip is needed.
Original post by funky_giraffe
that's because in many people's references they will only quote the ums of certain modules within an exam which the pupil has done particularly well so in that sense the reference can be manipulative - ie. If a student gets 100% ums in practical chemistry but only 75%ums in unit 1, then saying "this pupil got 100%ums in practical chemistry" is not representative. In order to make a fair comparison for those people ums was asked of, the official exam slip is needed.

i am saying that some people have quoted the ums of the whole subject and have still been asked for module grades. The whole subject.
Original post by 
i am saying that some people have quoted the ums of the whole subject and have still been asked for module grades. The whole subject.

So reason would still be to get a fair comparison across the board, not just the overall subject.
So reason would still be to get a fair comparison across the board, not just the overall subject.

The fairest comparison is surely the average grade of all modules, so the grade achieved in the subject as a whole.
Original post by ajf258

Me
Original post by 
The fairest comparison is surely the average grade of all modules, so the grade achieved in the subject as a whole.

You have a point, but it could be that they are looking at certain modules to make comparisons and also to see if performance has been constant (all As in each module) or otherwise. I suppose that can give them a lot of information about preparation etc. etc.
Original post by ajf258

Aye
Reply 479
Does anyone know how long the interview is or are they quite flexible with their timing?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending