The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by phantompower
Has anyone who applied for Engineering (PhD) already seen any change to their application status?

Nope. Still patiently waiting. We engineers need more love
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by omoz
Nope. Still patiently waiting. We engineers need more love

agree
I guess what I meant is that after the meeting of the Degree Committee your status is likely to change soon thereafter from "Under Consideration by Department" to the next step.

I went through this process two years ago for the MPhil, and after the Degree Committee meeting, I went to BOGS only a week later!
Interview done.. Here's hoping 🙏🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone,

I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina, and I received an offer for an MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics a few weeks ago. I also had my college membership confirmed- Hughes Hall. I'm waiting on funding now.

Does anybody have any updates on the Gates scholarship? Or perhaps any tips on external sources of funding?

Cheers :smile:
Original post by 05autyt
I seem to remember that someone had an interview today for MPhil psychology and education. I hope it went well for you? Did they give you any idea as to when you might here back!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I did have one today. I think it went fine, 30 minutes and done, how about you? They told me I should recieve my decision in a week or two. You?
Original post by LingHin
Yeah, I did have one today. I think it went fine, 30 minutes and done, how about you? They told me I should recieve my decision in a week or two. You?

I had mine today too, and I think it went well :smile: I hope it did anyway. Yeah they told me the same and if I hadn't heard in a month to contact them :smile: I wonder how soon we will actually hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
I had mine today too, and I think it went well :smile: I hope it did anyway. Yeah they told me the same and if I hadn't heard in a month to contact them :smile: I wonder how soon we will actually hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope a week will be enough for them, but at this point I am relaxed. They made it really clear that if they don't take me it means my interests and plans do not suit theirs. I was explicit in my application and I simply hope they decide that the faculty and what I want to do is compatible.
Was there anybody from your area of interests on your interview?
Original post by LingHin
I hope a week will be enough for them, but at this point I am relaxed. They made it really clear that if they don't take me it means my interests and plans do not suit theirs. I was explicit in my application and I simply hope they decide that the faculty and what I want to do is compatible.
Was there anybody from your area of interests on your interview?

Yeah I'm going to relax too they sound they found my written work really interesting and I think I did the best that I could! I really hope they want me aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
Yeah I'm going to relax too they sound they found my written work really interesting and I think I did the best that I could! I really hope they want me aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck to you then! I hope we hear back soon. :smile:
Reply 810
Original post by pinkfloyd92
Does anybody have any updates on the Gates scholarship? Or perhaps any tips on external sources of funding?

U.S. Gates applicants have already learned whether they have received the award. The timeline for international students can be found on the website. (Hint: if it's past the 'invited to interview' date and you haven't heard, take that as your rejection.)

Browse the Cambridge Trust website for special scholarships that your college may offer. If I remember correctly Hughes Hall has a few.
Original post by Impune
U.S. Gates applicants have already learned whether they have received the award. The timeline for international students can be found on the website. (Hint: if it's past the 'invited to interview' date and you haven't heard, take that as your rejection.)

Browse the Cambridge Trust website for special scholarships that your college may offer. If I remember correctly Hughes Hall has a few.

Hey, thank you for the info. I read that international students (outside the US) should be shortlisted in March, but was just curious whether they already sent emails to some people. I will definitely look into college scholarships.

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by pinkfloyd92
Hello everyone,

I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina, and I received an offer for an MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics a few weeks ago. I also had my college membership confirmed- Hughes Hall. I'm waiting on funding now.

Cheers :smile:

Hi I also applied for Linguistics but i applied for Phd. If you don't mind may I ask for your timeline, and whether you were asked to do an interview at all? I submitted my application on 21 Nov (References were in on 4 Dec) and it's still under consideration by Department.

Thanks!
Original post by elysium11
"UK applicants for MPhil/PhD (including EdD) will be automatically considered for the funding above through CHSS if they have applied for admission by 6 January 2016 indicating that they wish to apply for funding." - http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/fees-and-funding/funding/cambridge-home-scholarship-scheme-chss-graduates-only

For more information on what is available as part of the CHSS competition consult the link above. To see your eligibility for the CHSS named awards, follow: http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/fees-and-funding/funding/cambridgehome-scholarship-scheme-chss-graduates-only/named-awards

As you said, the Cambridge Trust website states they don't have any scholarships available for part-time post-grads, so I don't know if there's any point filling it in on your application form. CHSS is separate from the Cambridge Trust and automatically considered based on the rest of your application, so an entry in the 'Cambridge Trust' field doesn't seem necessary. I suppose there's no harm in writing the statement, but it might just be a waste of time.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice Elysium, much appreciated. It turns out you were right, I was ineligible for the Cambridge Trust awards, and thus didn't bother to fill in the statement which was just as well, as I just didn't know what to write.
I submitted the online application form on Monday, and currently submitting the required additional documents.

I am worried about my PhD research proposal. I have gone slightly over the word limit (which is 1000 words) and can no longer delete anything else without ruining what I am trying to explain, but it's less than two pages, and is concise as I possibly can get it. I haven't submitted it yet, but a tutor at my previous university warned they could have word count software and chop off anything that goes over the word limit when submitted. I don't think this would be the case, as they ask for the proposal to be in a PDF and under 2 mb, which the file is, but I just don't know. My proposed supervisor has seen a draft and says it was alright.

Thanks.
Original post by PanditScholar
I submitted the online application form on Monday, and currently submitting the required additional documents.

I am worried about my PhD research proposal. I have gone slightly over the word limit (which is 1000 words) and can no longer delete anything else without ruining what I am trying to explain, but it's less than two pages, and is concise as I possibly can get it. I haven't submitted it yet, but a tutor at my previous university warned they could have word count software and chop off anything that goes over the word limit when submitted. I don't think this would be the case, as they ask for the proposal to be in a PDF and under 2 mb, which the file is, but I just don't know. My proposed supervisor has seen a draft and says it was alright.

Thanks.

I applied for an MPhil and my word count was well over the word count. Still got an offer.
Reply 816
Original post by PanditScholar

Thanks.

Different department, but my experience is that Cam is more interested in the substance of what you say than a few words over. (I've never heard of that type of software being used at Cam at all tbh, whether for admissions or assessment.) most importantly, if your proposed supervisor is alright with it, you should be fine.
Would the fact I haven't been offered an interview and my application is still under consideration indicate it's probably going to be an outright rejection?
Original post by littlelee
Hi I also applied for Linguistics but i applied for Phd. If you don't mind may I ask for your timeline, and whether you were asked to do an interview at all? I submitted my application on 21 Nov (References were in on 4 Dec) and it's still under consideration by Department.

Thanks!

Sure- I submitted my application on the 7th Nov, references were submitted within a few days. I was under consideration by the department for a while ( have no idea when it changed to degree committee cause I wasn't checking my account that often), and then I checked it in the middle of December and it was already at the BoGS stage. On the 21st Dec, I got the offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SiaSiaSia
Would the fact I haven't been offered an interview and my application is still under consideration indicate it's probably going to be an outright rejection?

No, if it was going to be an outright rejection - compared to the quality of the rest of the field they have seen to date - then they'd have rejected you.

Quick Reply

Latest