The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingmaker247
Has anyone heard anything from Kings yet?

I haven't. My interview was on the very first day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
As always feel free to ask questions about the course (As I previously studied it :h:). And a continuing good luck to all the applicants!
Original post by MrDystopia
As always feel free to ask questions about the course (As I previously studied it :h:). And a continuing good luck to all the applicants!

What do you think the pros and cons of the King's medical school is - I'm trying to decide between King's and Imperial and I would totally appreciate the help! :biggrin:
Original post by kingmaker247
What do you think the pros and cons of the King's medical school is - I'm trying to decide between King's and Imperial and I would totally appreciate the help! :biggrin:

Loaded question! I'll try and keep it brief, but feel free to ask follow ups on anything. Bear in mind I have no real knowledge on what the course is like at Imperial, so for that side of the discussion you might want to ask in the Imperial forum here.

I'll start with the pros, of which there are many. Excellent, distinguished lecturers are one of the ones that spring to mind, we really have some outstanding teachers in that respect. The course structure at KCL I think is very balanced in that even from first year, you get a lot of practical elements thrown in. In year 1 for example you'll have dissection on cadavers from the outset to supplement learning for the anatomy portion of your course. So yep, scalpels and all from term 1 :tongue: You'll also have GP/hospital visits. The online learning system, Virtual Campus, is also an incredible resource. Lets you watch every lecture (As they're all recorded), ask questions on specific lectures that the lecturer themselves will answer. The staff are all supportive in many senses of the word so it's a good feel all round, whether you're stuck or have another problem. Good library spaces, the main library on campus I believe being opened 24 hours now (I may have that wrong but if it's not it's certainly open the longest). Oh and the medical school has it's own set of sports teams separate from the rest of KCL (The wonderful GKT sports team) which is definitely a pro :wink:

Cons? Well I think the one thing that jumps out at me is often the slightly chaotic management of lectures. In that, I mean in the past lectures have been cancelled but students not informed, or lecture recordings are sub par in terms of quality. I guess a 'con' (If it even counts as one) is that KCL is often overshadowed by Imperial/UCL in terms of prestige, but I think that only really depends on how much emphasis you place on that sort of thing (Certainly once you arrive at uni you quickly realise nobody actually cares about uni rankings whatsoever).

I think this is a fairly balanced answer, though obviously I've swayed to the positives cause I'm biased :lol:
When will offers start coming in?
Original post by hfj,xdbkjbvjkvh
When will offers start coming in?

No-one has a clue, hopefully soon though XD
Original post by thechemistress
No-one has a clue, hopefully soon though XD

When were they given out last year?

pics or it didn't happen

When? Did they email you? Undergrad or grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same :biggrin: omg, when did you have your interview??
Original post by .georgie
Same :biggrin: omg, when did you have your interview??

When was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hopefulmedic97
When was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 14th of December :smile: i think it was at 2:15...
Original post by .georgie
The 14th of December :smile: i think it was at 2:15...

When did you hear? Was it by email or on kings apply? Congratulations 🎉!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When did you hear? Was it by email or on kings apply? Congratulations 🎉!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

About an hour ago via email... Thank you i'm so chuffed :biggrin:
Kings give 700 odd interviews and there's 355 places.

Does that mean I have to beat half of you lot ffs
Original post by DoctorPles
Kings give 700 odd interviews and there's 355 places.

Does that mean I have to beat half of you lot ffs

Well technically you don't even have to beat half because they always over offer and send out 500+ offers :P
Original post by cyberchibii
Well technically you don't even have to beat half because they always over offer and send out 500+ offers :P

seriously? but wouldn't that mean they have too many people for the course?
When? Did they email you? Undergrad or grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got an email at 7.37pm today that Kings Portal had been updated, checked it, a letter confirms unconditional offer (gap year student)!
This is for undergrad normal 5 year course.
Interview was on 15th Dec at 1.15pm

Good luck to everyone else xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samim_s
seriously? but wouldn't that mean they have too many people for the course?

A lot of people choose to go elsewhere or fail to make their offers. I've been digging around various websites for a while and I've compiled the following which some of you might find useful:

2015 entry: 3340 applicants 968 interviews 555 offers

2014 entry: 3352 applicants 962 interviews 577 offers

2013 entry: 3261 applicants - couldn't find the rest of the data

2012 entry: 3414 applicants 1085 interviews 637 offers