The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimib5863
Erm.....so has everyone done their GAMSAT before they apply? I was thinking of doing GAMSAT in Sept 2016 and then apply for October. I don't know if it's possible or if the results get released before October.

Have people got in to St Georges? Nottingham? Hows things going. How did you do? I have covered so far, physics, maths, chemistry and biology, I need to cover the humanities sections.

Results are NEVER released before application deadline. The exam is mid/end September and deadline is 2nd week October. Results always come in November, so essentially you apply blind in the hope you've done well enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those who sit in March have the March results though going by previous posts I have read on here. But I may be wrong.
Original post by lyra1987
Those who sit in March have the March results though going by previous posts I have read on here. But I may be wrong.

Is it true the GAMSAT is at year 1 chemistry degree difficulty?
Original post by lyra1987

That is correct. But it is GAMSAT Ireland and more expensive iirc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it true the GAMSAT is at year 1 chemistry degree difficulty?

Year one degree/A2 (which in my undergrad was similar for at least the first half of the year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone sat the March GAMSAT if you don't me asking how well did you do?

Has anyone here been successful previously and is now studying medicine?

I know with St George's if you meet their score you get an interview. But it still must be tough to get in even with an interview. Lucky for me I'm awesome lol.

I know with St George's if you meet their score you get an interview. But it still must be tough to get in even with an interview. Lucky for me I'm awesome lol.

I sat the march gamsat in london, costs a bit more but you get results in may and can resit in sept if you like.

If you have zero science background then you may struggle in the short timeframe. I started revision early dec with triple science at A-level equilent (3xA*) and a medical science degree. I got 72 and a friend with the same background got 60 with revision over the same time period.
Original post by neuronerd
I sat the march gamsat in london, costs a bit more but you get results in may and can resit in sept if you like.

If you have zero science background then you may struggle in the short timeframe. I started revision early dec with triple science at A-level equilent (3xA*) and a medical science degree. I got 72 and a friend with the same background got 60 with revision over the same time period.

That's amazing! Congrats. How did you prepare for the essay writing section? Did you get an interview? You guys are serious competition! I have a lot work to do.
That's amazing! Congrats. How did you prepare for the essay writing section? Did you get an interview? You guys are serious competition! I have a lot work to do.

I didnt prepare for section 1 or 2, only section 3. I have 2 confirmed interviews (liverpool and swansea) 1 expected interview (nottingham) and 1 rejection (oxford which uses BMAT not gamsat)

I sat September GAMSAT back in 2011. Did almost no prep for the science section (only looked up some physics equations which didn't even help me in he end because I forgot them).

Read through relevant sections of the gold standard book for sections one and two.

I was in year 3 of a pharmacy degree with a large amount of Chem and biochem content. I had also done A Level Chemistry and English lit plus AS biology in sixth form.

Got a score of 60 something. Got a st Georges interview and an offer after my second attempt at the mmi. I'm doing grad med at Imperial.

Just to show something can be achieved in a short timeframe especially if you have good base knowledge. But I definitely wouldn't recommend my approach. GAMSAT in March is great if you have the money and are happy for it to be potentially wasted. It could great practice in terms of the paper and the whole stressful exhausting day and provide a baseline if nothing else (though practice papers are available). Best case scenario you get a great score and can use it for 2017 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by manupalace
I sat September GAMSAT back in 2011. Did almost no prep for the science section (only looked up some physics equations which didn't even help me in he end because I forgot them).

Read through relevant sections of the gold standard book for sections one and two.

I was in year 3 of a pharmacy degree with a large amount of Chem and biochem content. I had also done A Level Chemistry and English lit plus AS biology in sixth form.

Got a score of 60 something. Got a st Georges interview and an offer after my second attempt at the mmi. I'm doing grad med at Imperial.

Just to show something can be achieved in a short timeframe especially if you have good base knowledge. But I definitely wouldn't recommend my approach. GAMSAT in March is great if you have the money and are happy for it to be potentially wasted. It could great practice in terms of the paper and the whole stressful exhausting day and provide a baseline if nothing else (though practice papers are available). Best case scenario you get a great score and can use it for 2017 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is great. Congratulations. I am applying for Radiography sept 2016 as a back up. If I feel ready I will take the GAMSAT in Sept and apply in Oct. I have no science background at all. I wish I took a science degree when I was 18!
That is great. Congratulations. I am applying for Radiography sept 2016 as a back up. If I feel ready I will take the GAMSAT in Sept and apply in Oct. I have no science background at all. I wish I took a science degree when I was 18!

If you start a degree in 2016 you will not be able to leave it and do medicine in 2017! Entry for medicine 2016 closed in October so you either wait until next year and apply for 4 med school and 1 back up or just do radiography.
Original post by neuronerd
If you start a degree in 2016 you will not be able to leave it and do medicine in 2017! Entry for medicine 2016 closed in October so you either wait until next year and apply for 4 med school and 1 back up or just do radiography.

Why couldn't I leave the degree in Radiography? If I got an offer for 2016 medicine application, I would simply drop out of radiography. Or I might do radiography and apply for Grad medicine deferred entry 2018, which would actually start 2019 ( when my radiography degree finishes). I'd have to take the GAMSAT closer to 2019 though then. As you are only allowed to have a GAMSAT that is no more than 1 year old.
Why couldn't I leave the degree in Radiography? If I got an offer for 2016 medicine application, I would simply drop out of radiography. Or I might do radiography and apply for Grad medicine deferred entry 2018, which would actually start 2019 ( when my radiography degree finishes). I'd have to take the GAMSAT closer to 2019 though then. As you are only allowed to have a GAMSAT that is no more than 1 year old.

Most medical schools won't accept applications from people in their first or second year of their degree. No one is going to advise you to do a different degree if you can get into medicine directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Most medical schools won't accept applications from people in their first or second year of their degree. No one is going to advise you to do a different degree if you can get into medicine directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would they know I am in a degree? Can they check through UCAS or something?
How would they know I am in a degree? Can they check through UCAS or something?

You would have to declare it.

You need to decide if you want to be a doctor or a radiographer. If you want to do medicine, work your ass of for the gamsat, take a level biology and chemistry and if needs be take a gap year and gain work experience. Doing an additional undergraduate degree won't help you get in to medicine. Don't take one of the last nhs funded places away from someone who actually wants to be a radiographer just as a stepping stone to get in to medicine. There are far easier ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You would have to declare it.

You need to decide if you want to be a doctor or a radiographer. If you want to do medicine, work your ass of for the gamsat, take a level biology and chemistry and if needs be take a gap year and gain work experience. Doing an additional undergraduate degree won't help you get in to medicine. Don't take one of the last nhs funded places away from someone who actually wants to be a radiographer just as a stepping stone to get in to medicine. There are far easier ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. I'm getting old. Can't risk waiting another year if I failed the GAMSAT. I will email the unis regarding the subject of applying. It's not like I don't want to do radiography it's a great subject. If I can't be radiologist, then this is what I want to do. Thanks for your help.
Fair enough. I'm getting old. Can't risk waiting another year if I failed the GAMSAT. I will email the unis regarding the subject of applying. It's not like I don't want to do radiography it's a great subject. If I can't be radiologist, then this is what I want to do. Thanks for your help.

How old is old? Plenty of people study medicine in their 30s and 40s (and above), just so you know.
How old is old? Plenty of people study medicine in their 30s and 40s (and above), just so you know.

I am 30 next year! : (

I have found this information. Apparently some universities do accept applicants, who are studying another degree:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1245817

Although they are out of date, I should email the unis about it. I would rather complete the degree though and then apply grad entry. The way I see it. A normal medical degree is 5-6 years, so I might as well spend those 3 years getting a degree haha. Then 3 years grad med, at least then I would have a nice part time job as a radiographer to cover uni fees.
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone, despite having a high cut-off, been rejected from Liverpool because their 'score' wasn't above cut-off?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending