The Student Room Group

PGCE Math Bursary - would I need to pay it back

I currently work in a school and am hoping to get a place on the Flexible PGCE Maths in September 2016. At present there is a bursary which would be a great help. However looking to the future there is more likely to be openings in my present workplace in other subjects. Does anybody know if I am offered a different subject to teach will I need to pay the bursary back?
You wouldn't need to pay back the bursary if you were to teach another subject; it is worth pointing out though that you might struggle to be employed to teach another subject outside of maths (it would be a question of convincing an interview panel that you would be just as capable as those who hold QTS and who have taught that subject as part of their QTS/PGCE year). It would also depend on your academic background.
Reply 2
Original post by pillinois
You wouldn't need to pay back the bursary if you were to teach another subject; it is worth pointing out though that you might struggle to be employed to teach another subject outside of maths (it would be a question of convincing an interview panel that you would be just as capable as those who hold QTS and who have taught that subject as part of their QTS/PGCE year). It would also depend on your academic background.

Thanks for the reply. I currently work in a school and have taught various other subjects as a HLTA. Its the headteacher that's mentioned it that if something does come up would it need to be maths for me to be able to apply. It just got me thinking.
Reply 3
As far as i know the bursary will be paid in full and never needs to paid back as long as you complete the course
Why do you even want to teach maths without an analytical degree or even maths a-level? Courses will just assume you want the bursary and have no real passion in maths.
Reply 5
Original post by TunaTunnel
Why do you even want to teach maths without an analytical degree or even maths a-level? Courses will just assume you want the bursary and have no real passion in maths.

Unfortunately years ago family circumstances dictated that I could not study a Maths degree and teach and so years later I took the next best thing working my way up in the world and became a Finance Manager within a secondary school. Still wanting to teach maths I took a large paycut and started down the road of teaching assistant with the support of a fantastic headteacher. Its took ten years but whilst supporting a family and working full time (37hours) a week I have seen myself as a HLTA supporting in the Mathematics department and now work in a secondary Pupil Referral Unit. I was directed (possibly wrongly) down the route of a Teaching Learning and Mentoring Degree four years ago as it was on a flexible programme, could be done around a full time job and at the time offered QTS, however, half way through the degree this option was withdrawn. With hindsight I should have taken a Maths degree but unfortunately it was not an option as I needed a flexible degree. I do have a passion for Maths but realise that with my lack of Maths A level/degree it could be frowned upon but I am in the process of completing my A level and hope to get it. I do hope that my experience will show them that it is more circumstances rather than lack of passion that has found me in this position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending