The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misstac
is that a forbidden topic of interview discussion?

What makes you think that it will be? :tongue:
Original post by usycool1
What makes you think that it will be? :tongue:

there was absolutely no mention of it in my interview before christmas, so i was just wondering before the next one! :smile:
Original post by misstac
there was absolutely no mention of it in my interview before christmas, so i was just wondering before the next one! :smile:

Hi there,

Always best to stay informed on it just in case! Check out these links:

BBC

Guardian

Telegraph (this links to the general 'Health' section, which has lots of useful articles on the Junior Doctors Strike news.)

If you are researching the Junior Doctors Strike, try and read a number of different sources to ensure that you have a well-rounded point of view!

The Medic Portal
Original post by Azula
In terms of keeping up with medicine in the news, would reading the medicine section on the guardian website be enough? Thanks :smile:

Original post by Bloom77
I'd like to know this too, although I read the bbc news health section (health, NHS, medicine sections) instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely a good start! I would without doubt recommend NHS Behind The Headlines which is the official NHS response to news articles and they demystify/debunk stories and give the plain facts.

EDIT: 9000th post :woo:
Reply 604
Hey guys!😊
Does anyone have information about KCL interviews? Like generally what type of questions are asked and what the process is?
Original post by Cpie21
Hey guys!😊
Does anyone have information about KCL interviews? Like generally what type of questions are asked and what the process is?

Sorry, they make you sign an non-disclosure agreement on the day, so we're not allowed to talk about it :/
Reply 606
Original post by Clunkles
Sorry, they make you sign an non-disclosure agreement on the day, so we're not allowed to talk about it :/

Sorry I worded that wrong.. i didnt mean i want to know the exact questions i meant as in are the questions more focused on you as an individual or are they more related to whether youre upto date with medicine news & about the uni etc.. are there ethical scenarios too?
I hope that makes sense haha
Original post by Cpie21
Sorry I worded that wrong.. i didnt mean i want to know the exact questions i meant as in are the questions more focused on you as an individual or are they more related to whether youre upto date with medicine news & about the uni etc.. are there ethical scenarios too?
I hope that makes sense haha

That's covered by the NDA too :tongue:
Hey guys, I've recently received an interview for Nottingham Medicine and was wondering how to prepare for this.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by sugarmelodies
Anyone able to help with this ethical scenario??

"You are a genetic counsellor. One of your clients, Linda, hada boy with a genetic defect that may have a high recurrence risk, meaning hersubsequent pregnancies has a high chance of being affected by the same defect.You offered genetic testing of Linda, her husband, and their son to find outmore about their disease, to which everyone agreed. The result showed thatneither Linda nor her husband carry the mutation, while the boy inherited themutation on a paternal chromosome that did not come from Linda's husband. Inother words, the boy's biological father is someone else, who is unaware thathe carries the mutation. You suspect that Linda nor her husband are aware ofthis non-paternity. How would you disclose the results of this genetic analysisto Linda and her family? What principles and who do you have to take into considerationin this case?"

Should the information only be revealed to Linda or both her and her husband, since they have both given consent for the genetic test?

Linda is your 'client' (patient), and she has a right to confidentiality (ethical principle of autonomy). You'd have to discuss with her whether she wants the information to be revealed to her husband or not.

I don't know how the other 3 principles play into this. I think justice does, because you withholding the information may mean that the actual father of Linda's child potentially continues to father children who may inherit the defective allele (so he and his other partners have a right to know).
Beneficence + non-maleficence: telling Linda's husband: you're neither doing anything good to her, and actually you may cause her harm in another way (how would Linda's husband react? etc.)

Thoughts?
Hi! does anyone know anything about the MMi system in Queen Belfast?
Thank youu!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by skittles100
Hi, does anyone have any steps to roleplay in breaking bad news and ethical questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by xsashax
Hi! does anyone know anything about the MMi system in Queen Belfast?
Thank youu!

Hi (I'm a 1st year Cardiff medic) I'll do my best to help. I had an interview at Belfast last year and when I asked for feedback my good stations where I performed above average were the roleplay ones.

You could be presented with any type of roleplay ranging from Breaking bad news, consouling a friend or it may just be having a general chat. QUB tend to be very very unpredictable in their MMI stations and I remember a scenario which was very odd but again if your naturally a nice person and can talk to someone with empathy honestly these stations are a breeeeze and are sooo enjoyable.
Also please remember that you are not the actor. They aren't looking to identify an actor in you rather all they want to see is that you have some form of empathy and communication skills which obviously are essential in medicine.

Have a look at the sample station they've given you on their website.
The way I prepared for these roleplays is to grab a friend or family relative (i.e my sister helped me loads) and practice out loads of scenarios with them.
You'll find that once you develop a generic stratagy for each type of roleplay in your mind then all you have to do is to just adapt yourself to the scenario.
I.e introduce yourself, listen, empathise with them, ask if there's anything you can do.

Your body language and tone of voice is absolutely VITAL. You could be saying the sweetest things with your mouth but if you've got a closed or arrogant body language you will lose marks.

For ethical statios my advise would be to read the ICS book to gather knowledge about medical ethics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi (I'm a 1st year Cardiff medic) I'll do my best to help. I had an interview at Belfast last year and when I asked for feedback my good stations where I performed above average were the roleplay ones.

You could be presented with any type of roleplay ranging from Breaking bad news, consouling a friend or it may just be having a general chat. QUB tend to be very very unpredictable in their MMI stations and I remember a scenario which was very odd but again if your naturally a nice person and can talk to someone with empathy honestly these stations are a breeeeze and are sooo enjoyable.
Also please remember that you are not the actor. They aren't looking to identify an actor in you rather all they want to see is that you have some form of empathy and communication skills which obviously are essential in medicine.

The way I prepared for these roleplays is to grab a friend or family relative (i.e my sister helped me loads) and practice out loads of scenarios with them.
You'll find that once you develop a generic stratagy for each type of roleplay in your mind then all you have to do is to just adapt yourself to the scenario.
I.e introduce yourself, listen, empathise with them, ask if there's anything you can do.

Your body language and tone of voice is absolutely VITAL. You could be saying the sweetest things with your mouth but if you've got a closed or arrogant body language you will lose marks.

For ethical statios my advise would be to read the ICS book to gather knowledge about medical ethics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by skittles100
Thank you so much for that, I was feeling very worried for that station! For breaking bad news, would you break the news straight after you have introduced yourself or would you break the news slowly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi your very welcome :smile:

From what I remember from last year without going into specifics was there were about 3 roleplay stations but they didn't all fit into the typical categories and were quite random so remember to be flexible on your approach and don't just think that you have to go in and things will pan out the way you expect.

But in general if you do have to break a bad news what I would do is to firstly understand your scenario and relationship to the actor i.e do you know them, what news are you breaking etc...

Lets for argument sake use the example of you ran over your neighbours cat.

So firstly I would walk in greet the person and ask if you could talk to them for a while about something that's been bothering you. Then engage your body language with them. I find it easier to be sitting in front of the person and use an open body language. So be sure to be facing the person and giving them your full attention.
Then explain the whole story in a soft calm tone and in an empathetic manner.
Now they will start crying or getting emotional. DONT PANIC OR FREEZE. You may feel a little awkward here but this is your real test, how you manage this situation.
Give them a little while to cry and understand the situation.
Then they will most likely start getting emotional and start talking about how much the cat meant to them and how close they were etc.... If they don't then you could ask that.
Then when there talking keep showing your empathy,interest and open body language. Keep nodding along again facial impressions are key aswell and let them know how sorry you are.
Lastly finish off by saying is there anything I can do to help or make you feel better.

Then 5mins should be over.

What I would recommend doing is watching some youtube videos of different scenarios and check out this link also:
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/medicine/Prospectivestudents/MultipleMiniInterviews/

Hope that helps not only you but everyone (hence that's why I'm posting on this general interview thread)
:smile:

Thank you soooo much! Do you remember how much time you had before each station? and were there a lot of questions like "why medicine, talk to me about leadership etc?"?
Original post by xsashax
Thank you soooo much! Do you remember how much time you had before each station? and were there a lot of questions like "why medicine, talk to me about leadership etc?"?

You had 1 minute to read the instructions displayed outside the station. They will explain all of this information to you in the briefing prior to your interview so don't worry.

I can't reveal the specifics but yes there was one station asking personal questions.

I think with QUB MMIs everyones whom I've spoken to said that it was nearly impossible to prepare for it simply due to how unpredictable their stations are and they do this on purpose.
You had 1 minute to read the instructions displayed outside the station. They will explain all of this information to you in the briefing prior to your interview so don't worry.

I can't reveal the specifics but yes there was one station asking personal questions.

I think with QUB MMIs everyones whom I've spoken to said that it was nearly impossible to prepare for it simply due to how unpredictable their stations are and they do this on purpose.

okay thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by olivia7001
What would you say for an ethical situation saying that a patient/Jehovah's Witness is refusing a blood transfusion and will otherwise die?

Is the patient able to give their consent? Are they lucid and able to tell you they don't want one? Then you can't force them to have one. But remember to talk about how that's a difficult situation - no-one is a portable ethics-o-meter, and there are nuances to the debate. Like what if you knew for a fact that they were a Jehovah's Witness and would refuse a blood transfusion, but they're passed out/nearly dead? Do you still withhold a transfusion?
It's all very difficult!
Hi,
In my personal statement I have mentioned that I have read the Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine, what sort of questions could they ask on it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending