The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinkfloyd92
Sure- I submitted my application on the 7th Nov, references were submitted within a few days. I was under consideration by the department for a while ( have no idea when it changed to degree committee cause I wasn't checking my account that often), and then I checked it in the middle of December and it was already at the BoGS stage. On the 21st Dec, I got the offer.

Thank you very much for the information. And good luck with the funding!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I have been watching this thread for some time and am absolutely delighted to post that I have just received an offer to study for an MPhil in Criminology! Absolutely delighted!! 🎉😃🎉

Just in case, anyone is interested, my timescale was -

4 Dec: Application submitted
8 Dec: Under consideration by dept
6 Jan: BoGs
8 Jan: Offer!!
14 Jan: Accepted at Jesus College :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 822
Original post by pinkfloyd92
Hey, thank you for the info. I read that international students (outside the US) should be shortlisted in March, but was just curious whether they already sent emails to some people. I will definitely look into college scholarships.

Thanks again :smile:

They won't be emailing anyone this early. Just hold tight. If April rolls around and you haven't heard anything, start looking for other funding.
Original post by bobbypin
For POLIS, the next Degree Committee meeting is January 21, which means all those who applied in December and right after the holidays, should expect to hear around early to mid-February.

http://www.student-registry.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/dc_meeting_dates_-_2015-16_v2.pdf
(POLIS: Human, Social, and Political Sciences)

Everyone else in other departments also in the "Under Consideration by Department" stage can take a look at the above link for when your Degree Committee will meet next. (Knowing helps to ease the pain of the looooooong wait!)

I think it's been said a few times before on here, but meeting dates don't necessarily correlate with response dates. I applied for an MPhil in the POLIS department in early October; there have since been two meetings and my application is still under consideration by the department.
Original post by lostkauze
Does Cambridge give unconditional offers to undergrads applying for Master degrees, or is it always contingent on a graduation mark?

Anyone?

Also, just found out about the announcement which claims that UK/EU Masters students this year will benefit from a 10k student loan :O. Now if only I could get that offer.
Reply 825
Anyone?

Also, just found out about the announcement which claims that UK/EU Masters students this year will benefit from a 10k student loan :O. Now if only I could get that offer.

I think they only give conditional offers to ug students.
Reply 826
Original post by Josb
I think they only give conditional offers to ug students.

Do you mean UNconditional offers to undergraduate students? I've never heard of a postgraduate receiving an unconditional offer, but conditional offers are very common.
Reply 827
Original post by Impune
Do you mean UNconditional offers to undergraduate students? I've never heard of a postgraduate receiving an unconditional offer, but conditional offers are very common.

Why would they give an unconditional offer to someone that hasn't finished his degree yet?
Reply 828
Anyone?

Original post by Impune

Unconditional offers would only be given to applicants who have completed an undergrad degree before applying. (Technically the offer would still be conditional - on submitting proof of transcript, finances etc, but I assume lostkauze is talking about grade conditions.)
Original post by sj27
Unconditional offers would only be given to applicants who have completed an undergrad degree before applying. (Technically the offer would still be conditional - on submitting proof of transcript, finances etc, but I assume lostkauze is talking about grade conditions.)

This.

I applied after I had completed my undergraduate degree and was made a conditional offer (based on proof of English competency and other administrative requirements).
Original post by legaleagle26
I have been watching this thread for some time and am absolutely delighted to post that I have just received an offer to study for an MPhil in Criminology! Absolutely delighted!! 🎉😃🎉

Just in case, anyone is interested, my timescale was -

4 Dec: Application submitted
8 Dec: Under consideration by dept
6 Jan: BoGs
8 Jan: Offer!!

Ah, we have some more good news :biggrin: Many congratulations! :party:
Reply 831
There was actually a case on here of someone a couple of years ago who started at Cambridge before she had received her final undergrad grades, iirc her grades came about a week after she started her MPhil. She missed her offer...and they made her leave.
My second referee is taking ages to provide a reference. (I am applying for a postgraduate taught course) Are places likely to be filling up at this point?
Original post by sj27
There was actually a case on here of someone a couple of years ago who started at Cambridge before she had received her final undergrad grades, iirc her grades came about a week after she started her MPhil. She missed her offer...and they made her leave.

Omg that is horrendous 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sj27

Ouch!
Does anyone know what the usual conditions are for offers? Is it just get a 1st, or can they ask for a specific percentage? I've applied for the Mast in applied maths if that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 836
Original post by Tedward
Does anyone know what the usual conditions are for offers? Is it just get a 1st, or can they ask for a specific percentage? I've applied for the Mast in applied maths if that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending where you are from, I've seen reports in the past of 75-80% being asked for Mast Maths - I'm pretty sure it's the strictest in terms of grades of all the masters courses. Then again it is supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, in the world...
Reply 837
Original post by Josb
Why would they give an unconditional offer to someone that hasn't finished his degree yet?

What I meant was: they'll only give unconditional offers to students who've finished their undergraduate degrees with flying colors.

Original post by Tedward

The conditions are, at least for international students, pretty straight forward: financial solvency, ownership of a valid passport, and getting a visa.

You need to meet a certain minimum grade to even be considered for admission, so they evaluate that before even getting to the point of making an offer.

I know for my degree (MPhil in International Relations and Politics) the application requires a "firs class honours degree," without which your application wouldn't even be considered.
Original post by threeportdrift
No, if it was going to be an outright rejection - compared to the quality of the rest of the field they have seen to date - then they'd have rejected you.

By when though? I have no idea how this process works!
Original post by SiaSiaSia
By when though? I have no idea how this process works!

For departments that have rolling admissions, they just slice off the bottom 'No' applications and the top 'Yes' applications as they begin to see the potential of the applicant pool develop. So initially there are very few Yes responses, but there are always a number of Nos from applicants who have misunderstood the requirements. But the timing depends on a number of things, not least the timing of applications, if people leave applications til late, decisions will be later. Usually, the majority of 'middle of the cohort' application decisions are made in Feb and March. They are then harder decision to make, because there are limited places left and the applications tend to be more homogenous, so then there is little or no sense of 'batching' so little point in comparing dates with other people.

Then it also depends on availability of the right Supervisors to assess applications, conference dates, submission dates, publications, papers etc that are on-going in an academic's life. These decisions aren't made by admissions staff who are just waiting to read applications and make decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending