The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Sports Personality coming up soon, will Andy Murray win it, or come in the top 3 do you think?
Original post by RDB1826
Sports Personality coming up soon, will Andy Murray win it, or come in the top 3 do you think?

No chance of him winning it. It'll probably be Hamilton again.
I imagine Djokovic will win in Australia and the US (defeating Murray both times). Paris and London are largely open.
Original post by Smash50
No chance of him winning it. It'll probably be Hamilton again.

Oh how the tables have turned my son.
Well done Andy Murray for SPOTY. The most redundant prize in all of sport.
Reply 4545
Robin Soderling has officially announced his retirement. Translation:

"With this letter I want to inform you that I have decided to end my career as a professional tennis player. A few weeks before the ATP race the Swedish Open in Bastad in 2011 I became ill in glandular fever. Since I was not then realized the seriousness of this, I made the mistake of continue to train and compete with the virus in the body which also resulted in that I suffered a sharp overtraining syndrome. I have since struggled to recover completely from this. With the disease it has been impossible for me to train one hundred percent and I forced to rest after any physical effort. Some periods I felt so bad that I was completely bedridden. This past year, however, my health improved and I have been able to increase my exercise dose, but my recovery after exercise works unfortunately still not as I would like. To play the competitions that require physical exertion over an extended period has thus been excluded. In all the years I have believed that I would be able to take me back to the world elite in tennis but now I've realized that I will not be healthy enough that I will be able to play tennis at the level I demand of myself. The reason I have decided to end my career as a professional tennis player.

Of course this is a very sad decision. Now in hindsight, I feel that I should have listened better to my body, and then have avoided the illness but on the other hand, it is always easy to be wise and tennis is a sport that requires that they maximize their workouts to maintain a position in the top of the world. With that in mind, and then I know I've done everything in my power in recent years to eradicate the disease, I can, without major difficulties to take this decision. Instead of being annoyed everywhere I potentially have passed, and loses, I feel fortunate and can proudly look back on my career as very successful. I have achieved and have experienced things that few are privileged.

Although my career as a tennis player over I see a bright future and my schedule for the next few years are already packed. First of all, I have my wonderful partner and two children I spend a lot of time with. I have also been instrumental in starting the company RS-Tennis, where we manufacture tennis balls and other tennis equipment. It's been surprisingly good for RS-tennis and we have already established sales in more than forty countries in the world. This is something I will now be able to add even more time trying to improve and develop.

First and foremost, I want to thank my family who have supported and shown patience for me all these years. I also want to thank my fans who have shown tremendous support, both during my career, but even also in recent years been very tough for me. Without this support I would never have been able to continue to try to get back to the top.

Meanwhile...

So it's Nadal v Djokovic kicking the tennis season off with a bang, with Djokovic the favourite to lead the h2h against Nadal for the first time but Nadal also has the opportunity to see how much his work in the off-season has paid off and loves being the underdog so it could be a close one.
Reply 4547
What the ****. Berdych has two break point chances (15-49) at 3-1 up in the first set to take a double break against Djokovic and he bottled it. Then got beat in straight sets. He really needs to get his head straight, man.

My display picture says it all.
Original post by lizzy95
So it's Nadal v Djokovic kicking the tennis season off with a bang, with Djokovic the favourite to lead the h2h against Nadal for the first time but Nadal also has the opportunity to see how much his work in the off-season has paid off and loves being the underdog so it could be a close one.

I watched both semifinals yday in the stadium and tbh Nadal played a lot better than Novak
Original post by RyJ
What the ****. Berdych has two break point chances (15-49) at 3-1 up in the first set to take a double break against Djokovic and he bottled it. Then got beat in straight sets. He really needs to get his head straight, man.

My display picture says it all.

I know I want Berdych to do well, but always get annoyed when he can't capitalise, let's hope he doesn't balls up more chances in 2016.
It is so frustrating to see all these Nole fans cheering him to win Doha. Like, I understand in a slam, but he's literally winning everything, isn't it someone else's turn?

Whatever the result, I just hope Rafa will continue his good form this week and do himself proud :smile:
Original post by FangirlFreak
It is so frustrating to see all these Nole fans cheering him to win Doha. Like, I understand in a slam, but he's literally winning everything, isn't it someone else's turn?

Whatever the result, I just hope Rafa will continue his good form this week and do himself proud :smile:

I dream of a perfect season with 0 defeats for Nole.
Can Rafa snatch a set off Novak?

I think whoever you support you're allowed to cheer for them, I doubt between 2004-2007 Fed fans got bored of watching their man win so I don't feel bad about cheering for Novak because who knows what tomorrow brings, no one's dominance lasts forever and he isn't getting any younger so I don't think you should be drawing loads of conclusions from a 250.
As long as Novak wins RG, Cincinnati and Olympic Gold I don't care who wins anything else, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Rafa winning another slam or Federer getting #18 or a young player like Kyrigos finally breaking through but we'll see what the season holds.
Original post by lizzy95
I think whoever you support you're allowed to cheer for them, I doubt between 2004-2007 Fed fans got bored of watching their man win so I don't feel bad about cheering for Novak because who knows what tomorrow brings, no one's dominance lasts forever and he isn't getting any younger so I don't think you should be drawing loads of conclusions from a 250.
As long as Novak wins RG, Cincinnati and Olympic Gold I don't care who wins anything else, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Rafa winning another slam or Federer getting #18 or a young player like Kyrigos finally breaking through but we'll see what the season holds.

But it's not like Rafa's a nobody. He's certainly had his time of being top of the world. Novak deserved this game for sure, and trust me, I was at the match live: there was equally loud support for both players.
Original post by lizzy95

Kyrgios is a giant **** though.
All I want is for Monfils to win a Grand Slam, is that too much to ask?

Spoiler

Original post by RDB1826
All I want is for Monfils to win a Grand Slam, is that too much to ask?

Spoiler

He has potential but he doesn't have the insane conviction and power of will to train and improve that Grand Slam winners do.
Original post by monk1324
He has potential but he doesn't have the insane conviction and power of will to train and improve that Grand Slam winners do.

He's pretty much the most laid back guy on the tour, but at least he dominates the highlight reel. :biggrin:
Original post by monk1324
Kyrgios is a giant **** though.

He is for sure but he's got tons of potential, if he gets his head straight of all the young guys he's the most likely to go all the way in my opinion. I mean he's beaten Rafa in a slam, Federer in a Masters and Murray a few days back in the Hopman Cup, not bad for a 20 year old.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest