The Student Room Group

Another 40 or so people killed by Russian airstrikes in rebel controlled territory

Scores of people have been killed and over 100 others injured in Russian air strikes in Syria's Idlib province, Al Jazeera has learnt.

The volunteer-run Syria Civil Defence told Al Jazeera that Saturday's Russian air strikes targeted the town of Maarat al-Numaan, 290km north of the capital, killing at least 43 people and injuring at least 150 others.

"Our volunteers are still in the area that was targeted by the air strikes. They are still trying to help those injured and affected by the attack," the coordinator for the Idlib Syria Civil Defence told Al Jazeera.

"Many of those injured are in very serious conditions, the death toll is expected to rise," he added.

Known also as the White Helmets, the Syria Civil Defence is a group of volunteer rescuers formed in 2013 that now numbers more than 2,700 volunteers.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll at 39, adding that the air strikes targeted a court and a prison in Maarat al-Numaan.

Anas Maarawi, a media activist in Idlib, told Al Jazeera that the attacks targeted a court and a prison in Maarat al-Numaan.

"The first floor of the court was targeted in addition to a prison. We are getting reports that at least 53 have been killed in these air strikes," Maarawi said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/russian-air-strikes-syria-idlib-160109133018717.html

Scroll to see replies

The article doesn't say what group exactly was in control of that territory.

So I shall refrain from commenting until that is brought to light.
Russians aren't just killing ISIS... they are also targeting rebels and civilians... but media is ignoring this, media doesn't care... its like Paris attacks 24/7 over there, nobody cares though...
Reply 3
Original post by Pahlavi Palava
The article doesn't say what group exactly was in control of that territory.

So I shall refrain from commenting until that is brought to light.

Idlib is controlled by Jaysh al Fath, a coalition of groups.

Original post by Johann von Gauss
Russians aren't just killing ISIS... they are also targeting rebels and civilians... but media is ignoring this, media doesn't care... its like Paris attacks 24/7 over there, nobody cares though...

They're barely focusing on ISIS. The vast majority of strikes have been on rebels + civilians in North Syria.
Original post by AlifunArnab
Idlib is controlled by Jaysh al Fath, a coalition of groups.

Jaysh al Fath is a group of Islamist terrorists, al-Nusra Front are a member ffs.

I hope Russia continues wiping out these Islamist terrorists.
Reply 5
Jaysh al Fath is a group of Islamist terrorists, al-Nusra Front are a member ffs.

I hope Russia continues wiping out these Islamist terrorists.

Yes, because attacking markets, courts, prisons, and other institutes will wipe out 'Islamic terrorists.'
Yes, because attacking markets, courts, prisons, and other institutes will wipe out 'Islamic terrorists.'

Of course, I do not support the killing of civilians and Russia has been acting irresponsibly in this regard and should be held to account.

What do you think of Russian airstrikes on the al-Nusra Front (assuming they could be carried out without collateral damage)?
Reply 7
Of course, I do not support the killing of civilians and Russia has been acting irresponsibly in this regard and should be held to account.

What do you think of Russian airstrikes on the al-Nusra Front (assuming they could be carried out without collateral damage)?

I doubt they'll be held to account. They've killed hundreds of civilians and they don't seem to be stopping.

I don't think Russia should even be in Syria, let alone attacking any group.

I don't think Russia should even be in Syria, let alone attacking any group.

OK, let me try again.

Do you support US-led airstrikes on al-Nusra Front?

Maybe it is the will of Allah?
Scores of people have been killed and over 100 others injured in Russian air strikes in Syria's Idlib province, Al Jazeera has learnt.

The volunteer-run Syria Civil Defence told Al Jazeera that Saturday's Russian air strikes targeted the town of Maarat al-Numaan, 290km north of the capital, killing at least 43 people and injuring at least 150 others.

"Our volunteers are still in the area that was targeted by the air strikes. They are still trying to help those injured and affected by the attack," the coordinator for the Idlib Syria Civil Defence told Al Jazeera.

"Many of those injured are in very serious conditions, the death toll is expected to rise," he added.

Known also as the White Helmets, the Syria Civil Defence is a group of volunteer rescuers formed in 2013 that now numbers more than 2,700 volunteers.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll at 39, adding that the air strikes targeted a court and a prison in Maarat al-Numaan.

Anas Maarawi, a media activist in Idlib, told Al Jazeera that the attacks targeted a court and a prison in Maarat al-Numaan.

"The first floor of the court was targeted in addition to a prison. We are getting reports that at least 53 have been killed in these air strikes," Maarawi said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/russian-air-strikes-syria-idlib-160109133018717.html

The quicker Russia kills every last Rebel the quicker they can advance on to ISIS. Well done Russia
Tawheed will be along shortly after he's finished his champagne celebrating the deaths of innocent civilians.

You do realise the rebels are terrorists. They are made up of Al Nusra, Al Qaeda, Islamic front, FSA and others. They must all be destroyed
OK, let me try again.

Do you support US-led airstrikes on al-Nusra Front?

How would US-led airstrikes distinguish Nusra from other groups?

Original post by The meal
The quicker Russia kills every last Rebel the quicker they can advance on to ISIS. Well done Russia

You mean every last civilian in rebel held territory, right?

You didn't answer my question.

You mean every last civilian in rebel held territory, right?

No, every last rebel in rebel held territory. If you call yourself a rebel, you are effectively a terrorist as all the rebel groups in Syria have terror links, support terrorists, carry out terror acts and their generals canabalise on their enemies
EDIT: Interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)
You didn't answer my question.

You're effectively asking me if I support the US helping Bashar advance on the revolutionaries to which my answer is a no.
You're effectively asking me if I support the US helping Bashar advance on the revolutionaries to which my answer is a no.

So you support al-Nusra Front.

Nice to know what we are dealing with. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by High Stakes
As an Arab, I support Russia's move to carry out airstrikes. We need to eliminate and wipe out any trace of ISIS. These people cannot be reasoned with. They are mentally deranged. Just a few days ago we heard about an ISIS member executing his own mother on the basis of apostasy. There is clearly no way we can remove the parasite called ISIS from the middle east without fighting. Diplomacy and talks won't work, that's only useful for after.

Russia are not targeting isis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest