The Student Room Group

Breakthrough bleed?

So I skipped my period using the pill a couple of weeks ago. I've been on the pill for 3 years now and this is the first time I've done this. It's just under two weeks till my period is due, but I've been spotting and bleeding a small amount within the past couple of days, almost like a light period. Is this normal? Will I still have a proper period when it's due or will I not have one at all? I've never done this before so help is appreciated! I haven't had unprotected sex and I take my pill at the same time everyday and never mess it up!
Why are you taking pills if you ain't having sex? You're just messing up your natural system
Reply 2
Original post by San pellegrino
Why are you taking pills if you ain't having sex? You're just messing up your natural system

I take them for other reasons than to stop pregnancy
Original post by CeeDixon
I take them for other reasons than to stop pregnancy

Stop taking them if they're messing up your periods
Reply 4
Original post by San pellegrino
Stop taking them if they're messing up your periods

They're not messing up my periods? I delayed one this one time out of 3 years so they're not messing up my periods. I just wanted to know if I'll have a proper period at the correct time or whether this breakthrough bleed is going to stop that or not. I've been perfectly fine on the pill and I still am, I've just never delayed a period before.
Original post by CeeDixon
So I skipped my period using the pill a couple of weeks ago. I've been on the pill for 3 years now and this is the first time I've done this. It's just under two weeks till my period is due, but I've been spotting and bleeding a small amount within the past couple of days, almost like a light period. Is this normal? Will I still have a proper period when it's due or will I not have one at all? I've never done this before so help is appreciated! I haven't had unprotected sex and I take my pill at the same time everyday and never mess it up!

Hi, do you mean you skipped your period by running two packs of your contraceptive pill together?

If this is the case, then yeah don't worry too much spotting happens to some women when they run packs together. If you read the paper that comes with your pills it should say it in there. If you're concerned speak to your GP or whoever prescribes you your contraceptives as they'll be able to clarify further.

Whether or not you'll have a proper period when it's due really depends, for some women it can alter the cycle slightly and they may miss one and for others they may still get it on time and for others it may be early or late. This is just because we're all ever so slightly different and the levels of hormones effect us slightly differently :smile:

But yeah, I do recommend you go speak to whoever prescribes them to you anyway, just to put you at ease.
(edited 8 years ago)
you can also go to your break week now, I find once I start spotting it doesn't stop until I take my break week and have a proper bleed... when you run packs together you don't have to take them in 3 week chunks, so it's not 3 weeks or 6 weeks, you just have to take more than 3 weeks, so if you have taken 4 weeks you can take a break week now but you mustn't then take the following 2 weeks and have another break, you'd have to run on again to go for at least 3 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest