The Student Room Group

We must all Tackle Islamophobia

Both in terms of:

1) Its causes on both sides e.g. Muslims and non-Muslims alike, misbehaving

2) Actual instances of hateful/fearful rhetoric, actions, and attacks

Scroll to see replies

Islamophillia and political Islam is a far bigger problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
“You can be full of kindness and love, but you cannot sleep next to a mad dog”

Buddhist Monk
(edited 8 years ago)

jk lol - I agree
Original post by AlwaysWatching
Islamophillia and political Islam is a far bigger problem.

This is a thread about tackling Islamophobia... please don't try to derail it by trying to create an argument about something else. Islamophobia is a problem that does need to be tackled, regardless on your thoughts about radical Islam.
Reply 5
Original post by queen-bee
Both in terms of:

Until Islam re-writes the Quran to remove verses advocating killing, prejudice and implying Muslims are better and more superior, then Islamophobia can be tackled. Until then we must remove all scripture that belongs in the 7th century
I disagree with the premise. 'Islamophobia' is not a problem. We can talk about anti-Muslim bigotry, if you'd like.
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
This is a thread about tackling Islamophobia... please don't try to derail it by trying to create an argument about something else. Islamophobia is a problem that does need to be tackled, regardless on your thoughts about radical Islam.

Islamophobia was a word made up by the left to mask any attempt to address the barbaric verses Islam promotes. I understand you love your religion, but look at it from our perspective when we see verses implying we as non-believers are inferior.
Original post by queen-bee
Both in terms of:

In a world of so many much more serious problems, many of which come from Islam.. why is tackling islamophobia so high on peoples agendas?

What is Islamophobia? Dislike of Islam? Dislike of Muslims? Dislike of Muslims using their religion to do bad things? What is it?

There is no proof Islamophobia causes muslims to do bad things and there is very little evidence of people doing bad things to muslims simpy because they dont like Muslims or Islam
No such thing as Islamaphobia
Original post by The meal
Islamophobia was a word made up by the left to mask any attempt to address the barbaric verses Islam promotes. I understand you love your religion, but look at it from our perspective when we see verses implying we as non-believers are inferior.

Plagioclase isn't a Muslim. :laugh: He's an apologist for all religions, as his attempt to shut down the debate on the very first page under the excuse of derailment amply demonstrates.
Original post by EccentricDiamond
No such thing as Islamaphobia

What does that word even mean? There is no official recognised definition and all my browsers recognise it as an illegal term so I am confused?

The term was never even used when Islamic terror was taking place 15 years ago
Original post by Hydeman
I disagree with the premise. 'Islamophobia' is not a problem. We can talk about anti-Muslim bigotry, if you'd like.

You consider the irrational fear of Islam and/or Muslims to not be a problem?

Perhaps it is attitudes similar to yours which is fueling, as you call it, "anti-Muslim bigotry"?
Reply 13
No

We must all tackle discrimination
Not Islamophobia
Original post by Hydeman
Plagioclase isn't a Muslim. :laugh: He's an apologist for all religions, as his attempt to shut down the debate on the very first page under the excuse of derailment amply demonstrates.

Quite interesting how your first thought isn't ("This guy that I am responding to seems to think only Muslims would decry Islamophobia") but character assassination.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
You consider the irrational fear of Islam and/or Muslims to not be a problem?

I consider the irrational fear or hatred of Muslims when it manifests itself in bigotry to be a problem. The word is pretty problematic in itself, given the stupid conflation between Islam and Muslims and the implication that fear or hatred of Islam can only ever be irrational; there are plenty of rational reasons to be afraid of Islam and, as such, it serves as little more than a handy word to allow people to infantilise Muslims (a title unfortunately accepted with few qualms by many Muslims) and to shut down criticism of the religion

Perhaps it is attitudes similar to yours which is fueling, as you call it, "anti-Muslim bigotry"?

Nice try, but it's not going to work on me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I don't like using the term Islamophobia because I feel it is intellectually dishonest.
However anti-Muslim bigotry is something that does need to be tackled.

I find the use of dehumanizing terms to describe Muslims/Muslim refugees is extremely harmful.
Calling them scum or vermin or cockroaches is just plain bad. And if people say it enough times impressionable people will start beliving it to be true.
That's how hitler incited hatred against Jews and got some Germans to actually believe that Jews were sub human and deserved to die.
It's only a matter of time before people start rioting for all Muslims to be lead to gas chambers because they're all vermin.

I understand there is anger and people despise Islamic terrorists and Islamic ideology (me included) but people should be careful about the words they use.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Quite interesting how your first thought isn't ("This guy that I am responding to seems to think only Muslims would decry Islamophobia":wink: but character assassination.

To be fair to both myself and Plagio, I think his character committed suicide long before I could have ever attempted an assassination. Anyway, I don't concede that I have attempted a character assassination here. I've simply made two statements of fact, at least one of which Plagio would gladly confirm.

Your accusation of character assassination is quite interesting too, given your earlier insinuation that simply holding an opinion makes me responsible for anti-Muslim bigotry.

Now get back on topic, please.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
Well I don't like using the term Islamophobia because I feel it is intellectually dishonest.
However anti-Muslim bigotry is something that does need to be tackled.

I find the use of dehumanizing terms to describe Muslims/Muslim refugees is extremely harmful.
Calling them scum or vermin or cockroaches is just plain bad. And if people say it enough times impressionable people will start beliving it to be true.
That's how hitler incited hatred against Jews and got some Germans to actually believe that Jews were sub human and deserved to die.
It's only a matter of time before people start rioting for all Muslims to be lead to gas chambers because they're all vermin.

I understand there is anger and people despise Islamic terrorists and Islamic ideology (me included) but people should be careful about the words they use.

Only an apologist would imply any criticism of Islam or the culture it creates will lead to gas chambers. You try to hide it well and I applaud you for that but you are just another apologist. Majority of Islamic countries impose sharia law so think twice before you defend such a system. The law is not imposed by Islam but by the followers. It is barbaric beyond reason. People like you supported Chamberlin in the 30s, you were too scared and caught up in political correctness that they you were blinded by what was really happening.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase

Anti muslim bigotry is unacceptable. Islamophobia is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending