The Student Room Group

Will my 'predicted' gcses get me into medicine?

Maths A*
Geography A*
French A
Business Studies A*
History A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Physics A*
ICT A*
P.R.E A*
English Language A*
English Literature A
Urdu A*
Reply 1
nah sorry, you're not predicted a A* in french
FAM if you actually get those grades then yes. Alongside a good UKCAT and A level results coupled with work experience and a banging personal statement and references.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course not, you should pursue a career in cleaning at ASDA, but only if you're up for the academical challenge.
Those are some good looking grades
Not good enough at all, I'm afraid. I suggest dropping out of school now and getting a head start in the sewage industry.
Original post by Tom2596
nah sorry, you're not predicted a A* in french

I agree, A* in French is a must
no get downloading your mcdonalds application form
No you need some C's aswell
Reply 9
They might do- obviously we can't say for certain.
If you get similar grades at A-level in relevant subjects, perform well on the UKCAT exam, try to get some work experience in/ volunteer work, and perform well at the interview then you will most likely be okay.
Better make yourself busy- GCSE's are a good start, but you will need more than just decent grades!

If you work hard and persevere, I'm sure you could get a conditional offer when the time comes, so good luck! :smile:
Those *s will put the admissions tutors in a daze from how bright they are ;_;

I would not recommend.
Original post by BULL14
Maths A*
Geography A*
French A
Business Studies A*
History A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Physics A*
ICT A*
P.R.E A*
English Language A*
English Literature A
Urdu A*

no ur predicted grades will get u no where.

ur ACTUAL gcses, plus good a levels,ukcat, work exp, bmat, volunteering,personal statemen and general non academic skills ( assessed in the interview), MIGHT get u a place.
Reply 12
Are they good enough for oxbridge or Imperial?
Reply 13
Grades are just one step, if you're sitting your GCSE's this year now might be a good time to start sourcing some relevant experience/voluntary work which will make you stand out. Almost everyone who applies to medicine will have similar grades to those, it's the rest that will make the difference. Good luck!
Original post by BULL14
Are they good enough for oxbridge or Imperial?

Not counting your Urdu GCSE on the presumption that that's what you speak at home, you'd have 10/12 GCSEs at an A*, which is almost definitely good enough for Cambridge (somebody in my year is currently studying medicine there with exactly those results) and Imperial provided you do well enough at A Level and on the BMAT to make a competitive application to those places (e.g. unless the procedure changes to accommodate the reforms, you generally need a very high UMS average to make a competitive application to read medicine at Cambridge; ditto Imperial with the BMAT).

For Oxford, it might be risky because they use percentage of A*s at GCSE as one of their pre-interview selection criteria and yours would come to 83 percent A*s when the average for offer-holders in 2014 was 94 percent. Still, if you could do really well on the BMAT, there's no reason to think that you couldn't make a strong application, especially if you go to a low-performing school.

But all this is somewhat redundant because your predicted grades won't get you anywhere and the above advice is predicated on the assumption that these are your actual grades when they aren't. :redface:
Original post by Hydeman
Not counting your Urdu GCSE on the presumption that that's what you speak at home, you'd have 10/12 GCSEs at an A*, which is almost definitely good enough for Cambridge (somebody in my year is currently studying medicine there with exactly those results) and Imperial provided you do well enough at A Level and on the BMAT to make a competitive application to those places (e.g. unless the procedure changes to accommodate the reforms, you generally need a very high UMS average to make a competitive application to read medicine at Cambridge; ditto Imperial with the BMAT).

For Oxford, it might be risky because they use percentage of A*s at GCSE as one of their pre-interview selection criteria and yours would come to 83 percent A*s when the average for offer-holders in 2014 was 94 percent. Still, if you could do really well on the BMAT, there's no reason to think that you couldn't make a strong application, especially if you go to a low-performing school.

But all this is somewhat redundant because your predicted grades won't get you anywhere and the above advice is predicated on the assumption that these are your actual grades when they aren't. :redface:

I agree with everything but just to highlight, I've managed to get an imperial interview with very average GCSEs (5A*s6As) but then again they're fairly holistic once you've gotten past their bmat cutoffs!
Original post by BULL14
Maths A*
Geography A*
French A
Business Studies A*
History A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Physics A*
ICT A*
P.R.E A*
English Language A*
English Literature A
Urdu A*

Seeing as those are predicted grades for GCSE im pretty sure you are in year 11, imo i think you stop worrying about getting into med school and focus on trying to get those grades.
Also are you fishing for compliments or trying to show off because we both well know those grades, if achieved, would be excellent and be more than enough to get into med school
If you have to ask yourself this question, with those predicted grades, how did you even manage to get them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending