The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy applicants 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tarkagirl
Don't worry, I've heard back from two universities! I know a lot of universities are waiting to have all the on time applications before making decisions.
I applied for Cardiff, Manchester Met, Bournemouth, Oxford Brookes and Plymouth and out of those I have been given a log in from Bournemouth and Cardiff!
Yeah you should get an email from either UCAS track or an email from the university regarding your application.
I know exactly what you mean, the whole waiting game is so scary and exhausting! Just keep hope and you'll do fantastic!
Hope this has helped!

thanks, it has! just one more question- which are the two you've heard from? i applied cardiff, UWE, nottingham, bournemouth and oxford brookes
Original post by stateofbecca9
thanks, it has! just one more question- which are the two you've heard from? i applied cardiff, UWE, nottingham, bournemouth and oxford brookes

Bournemouth and Manchester Met. :smile: Both offered me an interview and on the same day which was just my luck! I've got Bournemouth's interview on Wednesday and awaiting an alternative date from Manchester Met.
Reply 642
Original post by tarkagirl
Bournemouth and Manchester Met. :smile: Both offered me an interview and on the same day which was just my luck! I've got Bournemouth's interview on Wednesday and awaiting an alternative date from Manchester Met.

Hi, can I ask when you heard from Man Met about an interview? Thanks
Original post by Nika15
Hi, can I ask when you heard from Man Met about an interview? Thanks

Yeah, heard from them on the Wednesday that's just gone.
Reply 644
I've got an interview a Sheffield Hallam next week, was wondering what the interview process consists of? I know there's an individual and group interview and a writing assessment.. What's the writing about?
Any tips for interviews? I have one on the 3rd Feb :smile:
Reply 646
anyone have an interview for bournemouth tomorrow?? v.scared
Reply 647
Anyone heard from Northumbria or Cardiff yet? Got my Huddersfield interview on Tuesday and Manchester met on Wednesday. Then Sheffield Hallam next week😬😬😬😬
Original post by Rxg123
Anyone heard from Northumbria or Cardiff yet? Got my Huddersfield interview on Tuesday and Manchester met on Wednesday. Then Sheffield Hallam next week😬😬😬😬

Can I ask you when did you submit your application?
Reply 649
Original post by Barchoka
Can I ask you when did you submit your application?

November
I wanted someones honesf opinion because i had to do the ucas applications alone. I wanted to know if i have aimed to high basically if i have a chance at getting into my universities : ive applied to cardiff uwe queen margaret glasgow caledionan robert gordon.
I am english but have been living in france for the past 9 years. I have an international baccalaureate in literature with merit and im in my last semester of a sports science bsc honors degree in france im predicted an upperclass second i think its a 2:1 with my paverage. I am also classed as a high level sports athlete playing rugby at a high level and in France.. thats where my placement has come in.. my degree is based on anatomy biology biomechanics and a lot of injury rehab etc do you think i have a chance of getting into physiotherapy? Idont know if i have been living in a dream world or not
Original post by HelenaRadcliffe
I wanted someones honesf opinion because i had to do the ucas applications alone. I wanted to know if i have aimed to high basically if i have a chance at getting into my universities : ive applied to cardiff uwe queen margaret glasgow caledionan robert gordon.
I am english but have been living in france for the past 9 years. I have an international baccalaureate in literature with merit and im in my last semester of a sports science bsc honors degree in france im predicted an upperclass second i think its a 2:1 with my paverage. I am also classed as a high level sports athlete playing rugby at a high level and in France.. thats where my placement has come in.. my degree is based on anatomy biology biomechanics and a lot of injury rehab etc do you think i have a chance of getting into physiotherapy? Idont know if i have been living in a dream world or not

I'll be honest physiotherapy is not all sport related. You are clearly smart and talented but do you realise the role of a physiotherapist?
Have you experienced physiotherapy in a clinical environment?
MSK neurology and cardiovascular?

If not I think you may come up short as it seems you want to do sports therapy not physiotherapy
Original post by spshsha1
I'll be honest physiotherapy is not all sport related. You are clearly smart and talented but do you realise the role of a physiotherapist?
Have you experienced physiotherapy in a clinical environment?
MSK neurology and cardiovascular?

If not I think you may come up short as it seems you want to do sports therapy not physiotherapy

One of my teachers told me the same thing to make sure that it isn't just about sport, because i don't want to study sports therapy, becuase that is pretty much already in my sports science course at the moment. I did specify in my personal statement that whilst i have been studying sports science and that i have been studying clincal sports injuries, i really wanted to broaden my knowlege ( obviously it was said in a better way than im describing).
I was cautious to make sure that i didn't come across as too sports orientated in my personal statement. For instance i used rugby to illustrate my hobbies and my work ethic. I used my degree not to describe my personal interests, but drawing parallels in the subjects along with a physiotherapy degree to prove that its a solid foundation to study physiotherapy. I was worried that an international baccalaureat in literature was useless so i wanted to use my degree to support my application and my academic qualities in certain subjects.
I have already studied neurology in my first year and the musculo skeletal system throughout the 3 years along with the cardiovascular system.

Thank you for replying, i know it depends on the strength of other applicants aswell but i am hoping that i will get a few offers..
One of my teachers told me the same thing to make sure that it isn't just about sport, because i don't want to study sports therapy, becuase that is pretty much already in my sports science course at the moment. I did specify in my personal statement that whilst i have been studying sports science and that i have been studying clincal sports injuries, i really wanted to broaden my knowlege ( obviously it was said in a better way than im describing).
I was cautious to make sure that i didn't come across as too sports orientated in my personal statement. For instance i used rugby to illustrate my hobbies and my work ethic. I used my degree not to describe my personal interests, but drawing parallels in the subjects along with a physiotherapy degree to prove that its a solid foundation to study physiotherapy. I was worried that an international baccalaureat in literature was useless so i wanted to use my degree to support my application and my academic qualities in certain subjects.
I have already studied neurology in my first year and the musculo skeletal system throughout the 3 years along with the cardiovascular system.

Thank you for replying, i know it depends on the strength of other applicants aswell but i am hoping that i will get a few offers..

That does sound great however experiencing MSK neurology and cv is different to studying it if you see what I mean? Experience is vital in my eyes where and when did you apply?
Original post by spshsha1
That does sound great however experiencing MSK neurology and cv is different to studying it if you see what I mean? Experience is vital in my eyes where and when did you apply?

Definatly, the problem with experience is that work placement doesn't work the same in France, you don't have placement during your international baccalaureat and in your degree it is all programmed for you and the only placements offered are teaching placements, in university. I have however assisted my Rugby Clubs physiotherapist for 2 weeks the the hospital he works in.
We did mock exams in my clinical injuries class where a each student presents an injury, you had to create a treatment plan with the different exercices etc.
Hi does anyone know if many physio course get into UCAS Extra or even Clearing? Im resitting my A-Levels this year privately so no predicted grades and my already achieved grades arent good enough. Im open to studying occupational therapy but its not my first choice. Ive applied to Salford, Liverpool, MMU Bournemouth and Northumbria but have only heard back from Bournemouth (had an interview) and Liverpool (rejection due to personal statement).
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 656
Original post by ThomasD96
Hi does anyone know if many physio course get into UCAS Extra or even Clearing? Im resitting my A-Levels this year privately so no predicted grades and my already achieved grades arent good enough. Im open to studying occupational therapy but its not my first choice. Ive applied to Salford, Liverpool, MMU and Northumbria but have only heard back from Salford (had an interview) and Liverpool (rejection due to personal statement).
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm in a similar boat, I sat my A-levels years ago and they aren't high enough so I'm doing an access course which doesn't give predicted grades either. I don't know for certain but I've been told it's extremely unlikely phsyiotherapy spaces will be available in clearing.. unfortunately! It's great you've had an interview though, how was it? I've also got an interview at Salford in a few weeks, and waiting to hear from MMU. Good luck for your other choices.
Original post by ThomasD96
Hi does anyone know if many physio course get into UCAS Extra or even Clearing? Im resitting my A-Levels this year privately so no predicted grades and my already achieved grades arent good enough. Im open to studying occupational therapy but its not my first choice. Ive applied to Salford, Liverpool, MMU and Northumbria but have only heard back from Salford (had an interview) and Liverpool (rejection due to personal statement).
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thomas, to answer your question; yes. Although this will be limited and only from a few universities I think in total 30 offer physiotherapy, I would imagine 15 at the very most will have spaces on clearingwhen did you send your application may I ask?How much experience have you obtained?
Reply 658

I think as long as you're understanding of the role is accurate and its something you're truly passionate about it there's no reason not to feel confident. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a sports physio, as long as you understand how much more there is to the role of a physio and you're interested in the other parts too. From what I can tell the uni's are understanding of that to a certain extent. And I think you're at a fantastic starting point from a knowledge point of view, I don't see why you would have a problem. If it's what you want, be confident and go for it!
Definatly, the problem with experience is that work placement doesn't work the same in France, you don't have placement during your international baccalaureat and in your degree it is all programmed for you and the only placements offered are teaching placements, in university. I have however assisted my Rugby Clubs physiotherapist for 2 weeks the the hospital he works in.
We did mock exams in my clinical injuries class where a each student presents an injury, you had to create a treatment plan with the different exercices etc.

ok ok, good luck with your application! If you get interviews then focus on clinical placements is my advice try and do some supplementary reading, youtube videos etc to gain a full appreciation of the proffession

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending