The Student Room Group

How can I like maths?I hate it so much

I want to enjoy it so I will do better and want to do it but it is so unexciting meaningless numbers and multiple methods to remember that mean nothing to me.I am an English person I enjoy it because it is interesting for example Macbeth and analysing things it is much easier to remember and you could get an A/A* much easier all you need to do is listen however in maths I listen but I don't practice so I forget because I hate maths so much that I cry each time I practice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria1812
I want to enjoy it so I will do better and want to do it but it is so unexciting meaningless numbers and multiple methods to remember that mean nothing to me.I am an English person I enjoy it because it is interesting for example Macbeth and analysing things it is much easier to remember and you could get an A/A* much easier all you need to do is listen however in maths I listen but I don't practice so I forget because I hate maths so much that I cry each time I practice.

do maths PROBLEMS not EXERCISES
recently Renzhi recommended this nice fun maths problem to me (C2 on the document), have a go at it
https://www.imo-official.org/problems/IMO2013SL.pdf
there are also plenty of other fun maths problems for you to try on the document

These are the kind of problems that make you think and use logic and it's really fun to imagine all the possiblities, and it is super satisfying if you manage to solve it. If you dont solve it even if you end up pussinyg out and looking at the answers you still get that "ooooooh i shuda tought of that" moment which is fun as well
maths is fun how could u not like it.. english is the subject that makes no sense to me
(edited 8 years ago)

Your problem in bold.
Think of all them imaginary triangles mmmmmm
Reply 4
Maths is disgustingly disturbing.
Try and see your maths problems/questions as doing a puzzle. Just like sudoku or a crossword or something. You've learnt the skills to get to the answer so it's just about applying them and finding the route there!
I understand exactly how you feel, two years ago I absolutely hated maths and I was pretty bad at it, I didn't think I could ever find myself enjoying it but something just clicked when I was in year 9/10 and I began to enjoy it. I think it might have been the concepts you learnt were a lot more interesting. I'm in year 11 now and I'm expected to get an A* whereas two years ago I was getting C/Bs in maths, and I'm actually going to be taking Maths and Further Maths as A Levels. I never thought that would happen.
I can't really change you opinion on maths with just words but I would suggest looking at the different areas of maths, if you find an area you enjoy you might find you start to enjoy more of it. Just think how you could explain something so complicated and detailed with a simple formula. Maybe don't focus on getting an A/A* and focus on enjoying it instead, because every time you don't get the grade you want it will make you feel even worse about maths.
Reply 7
It's worse liking it and not being good at it :s-smilie:

Anyways, you can try and do problems, maybe some past papers, the more you practise, the more you'll know, therefore the more you will feel more confident in answering questions. You'll feel good doing maths. But you have to put the work into it.
Reply 8
I hate maths...
Original post by The Grand Design
I understand exactly how you feel, two years ago I absolutely hated maths and I was pretty bad at it, I didn't think I could ever find myself enjoying it but something just clicked when I was in year 9/10 and I began to enjoy it. I think it might have been the concepts you learnt were a lot more interesting. I'm in year 11 now and I'm expected to get an A* whereas two years ago I was getting C/Bs in maths, and I'm actually going to be taking Maths and Further Maths as A Levels. I never thought that would happen.
I can't really change you opinion on maths with just words but I would suggest looking at the different areas of maths, if you find an area you enjoy you might find you start to enjoy more of it. Just think how you could explain something so complicated and detailed with a simple formula. Maybe don't focus on getting an A/A* and focus on enjoying it instead, because every time you don't get the grade you want it will make you feel even worse about maths.

Ahaha, I never hated Maths but my teacher was always going on about us probably taking it A Level. And I just sat there thinking 'No way am I ever taking Maths'.

As it turns out, I'm taking Maths and Further Maths at A Level. :'''D
Original post by flyingpanda
Ahaha, I never hated Maths but my teacher was always going on about us probably taking it A Level. And I just sat there thinking 'No way am I ever taking Maths'.

As it turns out, I'm taking Maths and Further Maths at A Level. :'''D

Haha, yeah, that's exactly what I always thought and now I'm taking them both at A Level as well as Physics. That's a lot of maths for someone who hated it only two years ago XD
Reply 11

I'm the opposite, lol.

I love Math; I hate English
I didn't particularly enjoy GCSE maths (the concepts taught weren't that interesting to me, it's pretty much just doing calculations and the odd factorisation question). I'm doing AS Maths and Further Maths at the moment and the concepts taught (such as basic Calculus and Statistics) interest me far more than finding the area of similar triangles and factorising quadratics ever did. I also find it interesting to find out about the applications of each topic (such as poisson's distribution in S2 being used for estimating radioactive decay). Teachers (at least mine) tended to explain where all the formulas came from and why we use them, which always ended up being more interesting than just plugging in values for the sake of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I wish I understood maths :frown:

I love physics and chemistry so much and it's always the gaps in my maths knowledge that hold me back...
it looks so cool as the mathematicians write it out and it must feel so good to solve a problem

like THERE'S YOUR X BITCH

I'mma work on it in my gap year
Ahem, Maths is amazing! :yep:

If you don't like it then it's your loss :u:
HONESTLY MATE I USED TO HATE MATHS BUT ONCE YOU GET YOUR HEAD ROUND IT ITS THE BEST THING EVER

No joke i used to hate it but once you understand the topic and are able to work out some questions/problems, its the best feeling.
Now im going to do it at a level hopefully.
If my current AS level progress is anything to go by, I've been finding that enjoyment of the subject tends to be directly related to being able to do all the things.

Perhaps by sorting out your "I don't practice" problem, you will come to be better at it and that'll make you enjoy it more.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If my current AS level progress is anything to go by, I've been finding that enjoyment of the subject tends to be directly related to being able to do all the things.

Perhaps by sorting out your "I don't practice" problem, you will come to be better at it and that'll make you enjoy it more.

I practice with my tutor for 2:30 a week so I do a lot of work outside but on my own I do not practice because I don't enjoy it whereas in english/re/history I could write pages and pages without stopping.I want to enjoy maths because then I would like to practice and be better at maths.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I practice with my tutor for 2:30 a week so I do a lot of work outside but on my own I do not practice because I don't enjoy it whereas in english/re/history I could write pages and pages without stopping.I want to enjoy maths because then I would like to practice and be better at maths.

The old conundrum

To enjoy you must be good at it
To be good you must practice
To want to practice you must enjoy.
But to enjoy you must be good.

The solution I found was quite simply to do the outside work despite disliking it. Once stuff starting clicking a bit I grew to actually want to do the work.
Reply 19

The way to enjoy Maths is to realise that it really isn't meaningless at all and it's importance. It's far more than just a bunch of random numbers.

I used to despise Maths so much before doing it at A-level, and definitely liked English far more than Maths. But everything changed when I watched 'A Beautiful Mind' and research on the subject :colondollar:

I now hate Literature though...

Original post by xxAminah
Maths is disgustingly disturbing.

As someone that used to despise Maths so much, that hurts my non existent feelings :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending