The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prescott
I applied for Engineering too, I was an early applicant and the only word I've had was an email sent about 2 weeks ago saying that they're waiting until the Janurary deadline to give all applicants a fair chance. So I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard anything :smile:

Thank you for replying!

I meant English when I said Eng though :^_^: I'm just a lazy typer!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Just got an offer for English literature! :smile: Applied to St Mary's. Entry requirements A*AA.
I applied in early November and received an offer on 16th November
Course: Liberal arts (English Literature, French and Spanish)
Entry Requirements: A*AA
College: Josephine Butler hopefully :smile:
Applied at the end of October and received an offer on the 5th January :smile:
Course: MBiol Biosciences
Offer: Conditional AAA
College: Applied to Josephine Butler
Original post by HelpMePlease909
I am waiting for a reply for Law too... do you know if many law offers have been given out for Durham?:smile: What college have you applied to?

They'll wait until after January probably. I've seen a few given out but barely any. Applied for Law on 18th September, still haven't heard anything.
Hi everyone!
Applied 30th Sep and received an offer on Jan 6th for English Lit!
Have firmed Durham so waiting for college allocation :smile:
has anyone else applied to St Cuthberts? And do we have to wait until we've accepted the offer to be allocated to a college?
Original post by picklescamp
has anyone else applied to St Cuthberts? And do we have to wait until we've accepted the offer to be allocated to a college?

College allocation happens in February whether you've accepted the offer or not. I'm waiting until then before I decide anything :P
Original post by Mostly_Crazy
College allocation happens in February whether you've accepted the offer or not. I'm waiting until then before I decide anything :P

What if they don't give me an offer until February? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks :smile: What college did you apply to? I'm worried about accommodation- sharing a room is not for me :nope:
Original post by Bobkata
What if they don't give me an offer until February? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know if the do college allocation before you get your offer, you'll just get your allocation at the same time as the offer. I think the vast majority of offers go out before they allocate colleges, though.

Original post by picklescamp
thanks :smile: What college did you apply to? I'm worried about accommodation- sharing a room is not for me :nope:

I applied to Trevs - I'm a violinist and used to playing in three different orchestras, so a good music scene is essential for me :biggrin:

Same, I wouldn't want to share... there are no colleges which are all shared though, and all but St Chad's are less than half shared, so you should be ok :smile: From what I understand the majority of people get their first choice of college, anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Actually, on that topic, I found these stats on college admissions, but I'm not convinced I'm reading them right...

For example, for Collingwood in 2014, it shows 278 applicants expressing a preference, against 400 total places. Would you think that meant:

278 applicants who were given offers (by their department) put the college as their preference
or
of the 400 admitted to the college, 278 had expressed that as their preference, but others may have preferred it and got squeezed out because of subject quotas?

I'm leaning toward the former since that makes the numbers add up to the "total places confirmed" at the bottom... or am I missing something?
As far as I know if the do college allocation before you get your offer, you'll just get your allocation at the same time as the offer. I think the vast majority of offers go out before they allocate colleges, though.

I applied to Trevs - I'm a violinist and used to playing in three different orchestras, so a good music scene is essential for me :biggrin:

Same, I wouldn't want to share... there are no colleges which are all shared though, and all but St Chad's are less than half shared, so you should be ok :smile: From what I understand the majority of people get their first choice of college, anyway.

Do you basically say that the majority of the offers are made before the beginning of February? :smile:
Actually, on that topic, I found these stats on college admissions, but I'm not convinced I'm reading them right...

For example, for Collingwood in 2014, it shows 278 applicants expressing a preference, against 400 total places. Would you think that meant:

278 applicants who were given offers (by their department) put the college as their preference
or
of the 400 admitted to the college, 278 had expressed that as their preference, but others may have preferred it and got squeezed out because of subject quotas?

I'm leaning toward the former since that makes the numbers add up to the "total places confirmed" at the bottom... or am I missing something?

It's a bit confusing but I understand the same thing you do. What college did you apply to?
Original post by Bobkata
Do you basically say that the majority of the offers are made before the beginning of February? :smile:

I have no evidence for that, it was just an assumption - I imagine they'd want to get most offers sent before college allocation so that it's as fair as possible.
Original post by Pauli14
It's a bit confusing but I understand the same thing you do. What college did you apply to?

Trevs, I'm a musician :P

What about you?
Trevs, I'm a musician :P

What about you?

Biosciences at Collingwood☺️
Applied for English Literature
Offer: AAA- I'm American, so my offer is to include a 5 in AP Lit and one other 5 (already had one from last year).
Also applied to University College...worth a shot I suppose!
I have no evidence for that, it was just an assumption - I imagine they'd want to get most offers sent before college allocation so that it's as fair as possible.

I thought college allocation was done in batches, so if you get an offer before feb then you're allocated in the first batch, if you get if afterwards you're allocated in a later batch, so not all offers will be made before feb i think :/
Just got an offer for maths and economics in natural sciences! Applied to collingwood

Quick Reply

Latest