The Student Room Group

Atkins grad scheme 2016: Interested in transforming the future? Chat to us now!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisceri
Hi Atkins!

Is it possible to know when decisions about telephone interviews might start being made? My application for Water, Ground and Environment has been on hold since November 5th.

Thanks,
Ceri

Hi Ceri - I look after the Water, Ground and Environment apps, so should be able to help you out here.

We are currently shortlisting our apps for telephone interview at the moment, so I am hopeful we will have this completed and the calls conducted by the end of Jan. Although we do usually hold assessment centres into Feb, so it can occasionally run a bit later than that.

If you have any questions about your application specifically, drop us a direct message and I will be happy to help.

Mark - Atkins EC team
Reply 21
Are there certain unis you "target". Be honest.
Original post by Atkins Early Careers Team
Hi Ceri - I look after the Water, Ground and Environment apps, so should be able to help you out here.

We are currently shortlisting our apps for telephone interview at the moment, so I am hopeful we will have this completed and the calls conducted by the end of Jan. Although we do usually hold assessment centres into Feb, so it can occasionally run a bit later than that.

If you have any questions about your application specifically, drop us a direct message and I will be happy to help.

Mark - Atkins EC team

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the swift reply! No, nothing specific, I was just slightly concerned I might have been forgotten about :smile:

Thanks for your help,
Ceri
Original post by mynameisceri
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the swift reply! No, nothing specific, I was just slightly concerned I might have been forgotten about :smile:

Thanks for your help,
Ceri

Always happy to help! Good luck with your application.

Mark -Atkins EC Team
Original post by Nununu
Are there certain unis you "target". Be honest.

Hi Nununu,

Good question and one that probably lots of students wonder about when applying.

We look for graduates based on what they study,not where they study!

So having an idea of what you would like to do as a job after Uni can help when picking a course or when picking from a selection of course modules.

Due to the range of grads we look for we have put together a 'Graduate Role Finder' on our website so it's easy to match Uni courses to our grad vacancies.
We also have page in our online Grad Brochure (Page4) which has a list of the courses we look out for.

I hope this helps

Mark - Atkins EC Team
Hi Atkins,

I'm coming to the end of a DPhil in Inorganic Chemistry and I'm looking to try a new field, I'm most keen on the IT side of things though I have very little formal coding training. Do you have anything that would suit me?

Cheers
Original post by cut_chemist_
Hi Atkins,

I'm coming to the end of a DPhil in Inorganic Chemistry and I'm looking to try a new field, I'm most keen on the IT side of things though I have very little formal coding training. Do you have anything that would suit me?

Cheers

Hi Cut_chemist

The areas of Atkins I would recommend for you could be in either Defence, Energy or Security and Technology (which is where you would find the IT crossover). So I recommend you read about each one and see what you think.

Lots of our IT type roles look at the control of mechanical or electrical systems. However we do also have innovative technology projects such as; the development of biometric technologies used in documents like passports, through to the delivery of the next generation of broadband connections in the UK.

You might find it is competitive without having much formal IT experience, but the best thing to do is have a look at the entry requirements and see where your skills cross over.

Thanks

Mark - Atkins EC Team
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Hi Atkins,

Do you offer any Master Thesis placements for penultimate year students in Aerospace Engineering?

Thomas
Original post by TomFitz
Hi Atkins,

Do you offer any Master Thesis placements for penultimate year students in Aerospace Engineering?

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

At the moment this is not something we currently offer. However we do see the value in the thesis. What kind of topics are of interest to you?

Thanks,

Stacy (Atkins - early careers team)
Reply 29
Hi Thomas,

At the moment this is not something we currently offer. However we do see the value in the thesis. What kind of topics are of interest to you?

Thanks,

Stacy (Atkins - early careers team)

My main fields of interest are Fluid Mechanics, Thermofluids and Aircraft Performance. In particular I was interested in the Airbus A320 Sharklet project.
Reply 30
Hi Atkins,

I was just wondering if you had an approximate idea of when we might hear back about applications for the nuclear energy summer internship?

Thanks
Original post by bobby333
Hi Atkins,

I was just wondering if you had an approximate idea of when we might hear back about applications for the nuclear energy summer internship?

Thanks

Hi bobby333

We are looking at a few weeks for shortlisting as the CV's are currently with our managers for review. Its a very popular scheme and we do take the time to read through each one.

Hope this helps

Mark - Atkins EC team
Hello Atkins,
What do placement students usually do about accomodation especially if they do not reside in that particular location?
Original post by ellaladiva
Hello Atkins,
What do placement students usually do about accomodation especially if they do not reside in that particular location?

Hi ellaladiva,

Our placement students do have to find their own accommodation for the duration of their time with us. We understand that sometimes that if its a placement outside where you would normally live that can make it more difficult. So we do try and reflect that by offering good placement salaries levels that should help cover short term accommodation needs.

Thanks
Mark - Atkins EC team
Reply 34
Hi Atkins,
I applied for GDP 2016 in the middle east. I submitted the psychometric test on dec 27 2015 and I received an email on the spot stating that I failed. Two days later I received another email from Atkins that there was a technical issue and requested to reapply, however once I reapplied I didn't receive another link. What does that mean exactly ? Thanks
Original post by Engggg
Hi Atkins,
I applied for GDP 2016 in the middle east. I submitted the psychometric test on dec 27 2015 and I received an email on the spot stating that I failed. Two days later I received another email from Atkins that there was a technical issue and requested to reapply, however once I reapplied I didn't receive another link. What does that mean exactly ? Thanks

Hi Enggg,

It looks like a technical issue. The Student Room threads are looked after by the UK team so I haven't got an immediate answer for you here.

However if you drop me an email: [email protected]

I will get in touch with the Middle East team and get them to review you application status.

Thanks

Mark
What is your starting salary range for chemical engineers? Please don't say 'competitive' :biggrin:
Reply 37

Mark - Atkins EC team

Dear Mark,

I was wondering, based on the above, whether the shortlisting for Water, Ground and Environment applications has now been completed? Have you already completed all the telephone interviews/ assessment centres?

Thanks
Original post by Nik_A
Dear Mark,

I was wondering, based on the above, whether the shortlisting for Water, Ground and Environment applications has now been completed? Have you already completed all the telephone interviews/ assessment centres?

Thanks

Hi,

I can confirm final shortlisting is completed now for all of our roles apart from on a few outstanding Civil, Mechanical or Electrical vacancies. Where we are contacting people individually.

Have you had your outcome come through as yet? If not drop me an email:
[email protected]

Mark - Atkins EC Team
Reply 39
Hi Atkins, I have a BSc Environmental Science and studying MSc Environmental Consultancy. In addition to consultancy, are there any positions that's suitable for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest