The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Would make your CM strength in depth the best in the league if you did get him, however the real issue is just a lack of a goalscoring/creative winger(basically what Depay is meant to be). Most of your problems is down to that and injuries.

Also I feel like Blanc has managed PSG quite well. Consistently in the Quarters of the CL, guaranteed league title for them. Furthermore he took France to the quarters of the euros and got them playing good football as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Heard briefly about this Saul guy but is he what we need rn?
Presumably we either need someone who can unlock the defence but more importantly someone who can actually score.
Original post by Rk2k14
Heard briefly about this Saul guy but is he what we need rn?
Presumably we either need someone who can unlock the defence but more importantly someone who can actually score.

Saul does not unlock defenses. He's basically another Schneiderlin. That's why if we are going for a midfielder I'd hope we go for someone who is creative + good long shots. Basically a deep-lying playmaker.
Original post by Dirtybit
Saul does not unlock defenses. He's basically another Schneiderlin. That's why if we are going for a midfielder I'd hope we go for someone who is creative + good long shots. Basically a deep-lying playmaker.

So it'd just be another stupid transfer.
Not surprised tbh.

We coulda had Kroos for that:frown:

You have Carrick and Schweinsteigger for that role already who are both creative from deep positions and good at shooting from range... Schweinsteigger has been there for half a season, Carrick is still good enough to play as a backup, Blind is a decent enough third choice option for the role and using him in lieu of Schneiderlin doesn't make much sense either, not much of an upgrade at this moment in time anyway.

Plus Saul has a good range of passing anyway, he could easily play a deep lying role. In reality if you are looking for a midfielder, you should be looking for a creative box to box player, like Schweinsteigger/Yaya used to be or Modric.

Either way you're not getting him. He gets good game time at a club that's better than you lot, while he's not needed at the club anyway because you have loads of CM options anyway. If he was going he would probably be the pick of Bayern and Barcelona before you lot anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
You have Carrick and Schweinsteigger for that role already who are both creative from deep positions and good at shooting from range... Schweinsteigger has been there for half a season, Carrick is still good enough to play as a backup, Blind is a decent enough third choice option for the role and using him in lieu of Schneiderlin doesn't make much sense either, not much of an upgrade at this moment in time anyway.

Plus Saul has a good range of passing anyway, he could easily play a deep lying role. In reality if you are looking for a midfielder, you should be looking for a creative box to box player, like Schweinsteigger/Yaya used to be or Modric.

Either way you're not getting him. He gets good game time at a club that's better than you lot, while he's not needed at the club anyway because you have loads of CM options anyway. If he was going he would probably be the pick of Bayern and Barcelona before you lot anyway.

Carrick is almost finished as a player and a liability if he's not playing next to tough CDM but that also brings it's negatives. Carrick's only in the squad right now because of his passing range and should be replaced in the summer. Schweinsteiger can't be relied on for a full season plus all he ever does is pass sideways for us. Reckon he was mostly brought in to be a leader/big character since we lack those. I'd be starting Pereira more often if I was LVG, he seems like he can fit the deep-lying playmaker role with his technical ability and great passing range + creativity. Not sure if this is due to instructions or a lack of runs from the forwards but he's essentially just a safe player for us.

Which is why I said we should go for Youri Tielemans who is basically the next Modric. We should have just got Gundogan last summer though. Dortmund are smart, they would have/will probably replace Gundogan with Tielemans who has a higher ceiling.
(edited 8 years ago)
Carrick is almost finished as a player and a liability if he's not playing next to tough CDM but that also brings it's negatives. Carrick's only in the squad right now because of his passing range and should be replaced in the summer. Schweinsteiger can't be relied on for a full season plus all he ever does is pass sideways for us. Reckon he was mostly brought in to be a leader/big character since we lack those. I'd be starting Pereira more often if I was LVG, he seems like he can fit the deep-lying playmaker role with his technical ability and great passing range + creativity. Not sure if this is due to instructions or a lack of runs from the forwards but he's essentially just a safe player for us.

Which is why I said we should go for Youri Tielemans who is basically the next Modric. We should have just got Gundogan last summer though. Dortmund are smart, they would have/will probably replace Gundogan with Tielemans who has a higher ceiling.

Schwenstiger has been really poor interms of having an impact...chances where this guy could have a shot and hes passed it sideways...if fellaini goes then a cm is a possibilty...
Just re-watched the classic, "Beautiful Man Utd goals from 07/08" YouTube video again.

*Sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would have said Jan priorities for us are LB cover and someone who can offer as much pace, direct running and goal threat as can be found on the RW. Young and Jesse have been good but they lack the quality to perform at the level needed week in week out. A RW option would allow us to switch play much quicker and open up more space. Our attack is far too slanted to attacking down the left. Last season with Young and Fellaini, then Memphis and Shaw, now Martial being deployed that side too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our boy ranked 2nd best gk in the world

No surprise there ^^

#Martial2020

We've drew Derby in the FA Cup.
Original post by Mo De Lemone
We've drew Derby in the FA Cup.

We're out then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
Would have said Jan priorities for us are LB cover and someone who can offer as much pace, direct running and goal threat as can be found on the RW. Young and Jesse have been good but they lack the quality to perform at the level needed week in week out. A RW option would allow us to switch play much quicker and open up more space. Our attack is far too slanted to attacking down the left. Last season with Young and Fellaini, then Memphis and Shaw, now Martial being deployed that side too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Buttner :colonhash:

So what you think happens with Mata? Don't think he needs to be sold but he'll be unhappy if he's getting less gametime. If you get the creative RW then really there's no space for Mata in the side(as long as Van Gaal is manager anyway) and I doubt Mata will want to stay on the bench at United.

I think you're probably missing a trick with Teixeira if you let Chelsea get him this window. Shaktar creative midfielders/attackers have obviously got a great track record in the various leagues. They're basically the new Porto.
(edited 8 years ago)
Mata can leave if he wants, don't think anybody would care if we replace him with a player who is like Douglas Costa.
Original post by Mo De Lemone
Our boy ranked 2nd best gk in the world

Means absolutely nothing when Casillas still gets in there, and Marcelo, Ramos, Iniesta and Yaya are ahead of the likes of Alaba, Kroos, Busquets and Verratti/Ozil.
Original post by jam277
Buttner :colonhash:

So what you think happens with Mata? Don't think he needs to be sold but he'll be unhappy if he's getting less gametime. If you get the creative RW then really there's no space for Mata in the side(as long as Van Gaal is manager anyway) and I doubt Mata will want to stay on the bench at United.

I think you're probably missing a trick with Teixeira if you let Chelsea get him this window. Shaktar creative midfielders/attackers have obviously got a great track record in the various leagues. They're basically the new Porto.
Think the problem with Buttner was we thought we were keeping Evra when we let him go. Perhaps we could get a LB in and flip them, or just get another Buttner type player.

I dunno tbh. If LVG leaves he might have a future at CAM but you're right he'd probably stuggle. Mata is at the age where he either needs to win his place or be replaced. Harsh but that is sport. We give a lot away for his passing game, we sacrifice width pace and defensive work. Right now that trade isn't worth it. I haven't seen much of Teixeira, not enough to comment, but I do suspect we'll do most of the business in summer. This mentioned Muto guy seems a possibility as a forward, plus he's Japanese which I'm sure Adidas will like.
Original post by scrawlx101
Schwenstiger has been really poor interms of having an impact...chances where this guy could have a shot and hes passed it sideways...if fellaini goes then a cm is a possibilty...

That is because of the playing philosophy Van Gaal has put in place....people still fail to see that LVG's philosophy has our players chained literally there is no freedom of football. This is why we are so ****, I mean do you honestly really think no one wants to shoot? The players know fully well if they steer away from the managers orders it will result in them being benched and not playing (its that serious and this is the problem).

LVG is stubborn in his ways and possesion play is his holy grail. The team we have is more than capable of thrashing opposition but only if they are allowed to play freely and attack.

Schweinstieger has been absolutely quality for us, the reason he gets exposed a lot is due to poor tactics from Van Gaal letting the likes of Fellani go forward leaving Scwheinstieger deep behind to do all the work alone which is quite difficult....heck I'm still surprised he even manages to boss the midfield and stop the attacks.

We will not make top 4 as long as Van Gaal is in charge and a bad run of games is iminent. It shouldn't surprise anyone now.
What do you all think?
Screenshot_2016-01-11-22-52-27.png
Di Marzio is saying that Jorge Mendes is trying to bring Jose Mourinho and Andre Gomes to United in the Summer.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest