The Student Room Group
Oxbridge looks good on your CV in any capacity. After all, both universities are widely considered to be amongst the top 5 or 6 on the planet.

I'm applying this year :biggrin:
Original post by simbasdragon
I'm thinking I may apply to do a masters at Oxbridge after my degree. Will employers be impressed by this, or would a masters from Manchester for example be seen as equally good?

How much do employers care about where you get your masters?

First of all, most employers couldn't care less for a masters. It's not a requirement for the majority of jobs.

If you did want to do one however, and it was from Oxford, of course it would be viewed favourably. Oxford is one of the most prestigious Universities on the planet after all. Plus, it's actually quite hard to get into Oxford for a masters.

A BA from Oxford isn't necessarily held in higher regard. But I do feel that your undergrad is more important than your postgrad, simply because you don't actually need a masters degree and that you spend a longer period of time at the University.

Having one won't disadvantage you, and one from Oxford will certainly be considered highly of. Much more highly of than one from Manchester.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
First of all, most employers couldn't care less for a masters. It's not a requirement for the majority of jobs.

If you did want to do one however, and it was from Oxford, of course it would be viewed favourably. Oxford is one of the most prestigious Universities on the planet after all. Plus, it's actually quite hard to get into Oxford for a masters.

A BA from Oxford isn't necessarily held in higher regard. But I do feel that your undergrad is more important than your postgrad, simply because you don't actually need a masters degree and that you spend a longer period of time at the University.

Having one won't disadvantage you, and one from Oxford will certainly be considered highly of. Much more highly of than one from Manchester.

Thanks so much. I know I want to do a masters degree, and I shall aim for Oxford or Cambridge :smile:.
For the situation you're asking about it depends, the higher up the food chain you go the more industry involvement there is and for some subjects there will be universities with greater connections than Oxbridge.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
For the situation you're asking about it depends, the higher up the food chain you go the more industry involvement there is and for some subjects there will be universities with greater connections than Oxbridge.

what universities have the best connections for things like law, journalism or politics, i.e stuff interlinked with the social sciences?

Latest

Trending

Trending