The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by kandykissesxox
I stand by my words. OK I appreciate that :hugs:

I believe you.

Only for you though, but I warn you, I'll turn into someone with a laid-back dead, but personality - you'll wanna get away from me after like a day Lol
Original post by nucdev
I believe you.

Only for you though, but I warn you, I'll turn into someone with a laid-back dead, but personality - you'll wanna get away from me after like a day Lol

Lol idc, again I'm the lively one so my liveliness could have a positive influence on your laid-back "dead" personality.

Spoiler

Original post by nucdev
[video="youtube;u9psXavuegk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9psXavuegk[/video]

I actually know this guy :lol: I'm not close to him or anything, but I have spoken to him before.

Original post by nucdev
Aah don't worry about it.

I agree - the more centralised a religion becomes, the more I think it stifles freedom of thought. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen amongst a minority of Hindu sects, but overall, freedom of approach is fundamental to Hinduism.

After all where else will you find a religion that incorporates atheism, agnosticism, deism, monotheism, pantheism, panentheism, dualism, qualified monism, pure monism and much more.
And that's just in its orthodox (astika) philosophies!

I've heard of that guy actually - I think his story is indicative of a growing trend in the West where people are now looking eastwards and taking the philosophies from the East a bit more seriously.
An example is the way Buddhism is gaining a lot of acceptance in the West as well as Dharmic concepts such as Yoga.

Yeah, Vivekananda is definitely my inspiration - he explains things with such clarity that it makes me feel as though I wish I had started reading his works much earlier!

I would definitely say he had a big part to play in bringing me back to Hinduism - and what's unique about him was that he didn't say anything like "come sit at my feet and I'll sort you out", but it was more "I've sorted myself out and now you do the same, I am merely your guide" - again going back to this freedom of approach angle.

That freedom is what makes Hinduism (and the other Eastern religions?) different to the Western ones.

As you said, in some of the minority sects like ISKCON (does it count as a sect?) they don't accept all of those that you mention, but generally they do.

Yeahh, for sure. He came from quite a strict Jewish family (I think) but was inspired to go on a journey around the world which took him towards India where he found his "home". It was a story that I found really inspiring. :smile:

When would you say that transition happened? I should definitely look into him more.
Reply 1423
Lol idc, again I'm the lively one so my liveliness could have a positive influence on your laid-back "dead" personality.

No - if I'm to have a dead personality, I'm staying like that, whatever you're like and whatever your antics are :biggrin:

I'm not the one that got away tbh :wink:
Lol I'm being reaaally thick today so....????? :confused:
Reply 1424
I apologise that was totally unnecessary of me. I didn't realise how different the dialect was, I thought gujarati was gujarati but obviously not. Trust me its not too bad but they tend to replace there S's with H's.

It's fine! haha
That's in kathiawadi (my) gujarati as well? Not to the extent of Surti Gujarati, but it's still there. My great-Baa, says stuff like "haru" and "mel" for bring/put.
Original post by nucdev
No - if I'm to have a dead personality, I'm staying like that, whatever you're like and whatever your antics are :biggrin:

Lol I'm being reaaally thick today so....????? :confused:

LOOOL, that would amuse me a lot tbh.

Here :h:

Original post by spv
It's fine! haha
That's in kathiawadi (my) gujarati as well? Not to the extent of Surti Gujarati, but it's still there. My great-Baa, says stuff like "haru" and "mel" for bring/put.

Really? cool. Haha we can say haru but I choose to say saru :tongue:
Reply 1426
LOOOL, that would amuse me a lot tbh.

Here :h:

Really? cool. Haha we can say haru but I choose to say saru :tongue:

I'm sure it would amuse you - but I generally amuse you anyway, don't I? :wink:.

Omg - got ya :facepalm: LOL
Now stop flirting with me - you're making me uncomfortable and especially on a thread like this :colonhash:
Whatever I do I do it cutely, unlike you :tongue: :rofl::rofl:

Lol I say haru as well at home, but if I'm speaking to non-family members, I'll go shuddh Gujarati
Original post by nucdev
I'm sure it would amuse you - but I generally amuse you anyway, don't I? :wink:.

Omg - got ya :facepalm: LOL
Now stop flirting with me - you're making me uncomfortable and especially on a thread like this :colonhash:
Whatever I do I do it cutely, unlike you :tongue: :rofl::rofl:

Lol I say haru as well at home, but if I'm speaking to non-family members, I'll go shuddh Gujarati

Spoiler

Reply 1428

I never flirt. ^ Oh lmao I'd like to think it was friendly conversation. What are you trying to imply ? hmm.

Also same.

You can take whatever meaning you want from that
:wink:
Original post by nucdev
Whoops didn't see this lmao - yeah I'm good, you?

Not bad, just realised I have homework for tommorow, feel devestated working at this time :frown:
Reply 1430
Original post by SunDun111

Not bad, just realised I have homework for tommorow, feel devestated working at this time :frown:

Lol get off TSR - it's too distracting if you're doing serious work - you'll never finish if you're on here.
Original post by nucdev
Lol get off TSR - it's too distracting if you're doing serious work - you'll never finish if you're on here.

Its not that serious haha finished it now just a bit of Maths :smile:
Reply 1432
Original post by moment of truth
I actually know this guy :lol: I'm not close to him or anything, but I have spoken to him before.

That freedom is what makes Hinduism (and the other Eastern religions?) different to the Western ones.

As you said, in some of the minority sects like ISKCON (does it count as a sect?) they don't accept all of those that you mention, but generally they do.

Yeahh, for sure. He came from quite a strict Jewish family (I think) but was inspired to go on a journey around the world which took him towards India where he found his "home". It was a story that I found really inspiring. :smile:

When would you say that transition happened? I should definitely look into him more.

Lool sounds like a cool and inspirational person to know tbh.

I count ISKCON as a sect of the broader family, though I know some people would class it as a separate religion.

Transition for me?
Started around about when I was 20 / 21.
Original post by nucdev

I count ISKCON as a sect of the broader family, though I know some people would class it as a separate religion.

Transition for me?

Is Hinduism a religion?
Original post by nucdev

Transition for me?

Yeah, I would say he is. I don't know him very well though :lol:

Ahh, fair enough. I think many people that are part of ISKCON, may see it as a different religion, too.

And i'm guessing you are like 24/25 now?
Reply 1435
Original post by SunDun111
Is Hinduism a religion?

Interesting question.

I only use the word "religion" for Hinduism simply because it's the only word in English that we really have for describing Hinduism.

However, I would say the word doesn't do justice to any of the 4 Indic traditions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism).

All 4 have the word "Dharma" common to them (which is why they're called Dharmic traditions). Dharma comes from the Sanskrit root word "Dhara" which means "that which holds/sustains".

In the West, religion primarily means a system whereby you worship some Superhuman Being in order to be saved / get to heaven etc. and where you're bound by some fixed doctrine/dogma.

On the other hand, the definition of Dharma does not have God in it, which is why the word is also used in Buddhism (mostly agnostic/non-theistic) and Jainism (non-theistic).

If we look deeper in the Dharmic traditions, we see that they're all about self-realization and not necessarily about worshipping a God.
For example, our own Upanishads talk minimally about deities and the like and more about our own inner divine nature and realizing it.

So in answer to your questions, it doesn't fit the western interpretation of religion, but we just use the word to simplify matters :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1436
Original post by moment of truth
Yeah, I would say he is. I don't know him very well though :lol:

Ahh, fair enough. I think many people that are part of ISKCON, may see it as a different religion, too.

And i'm guessing you are like 24/25 now?

Reply 1437
@kandykissesxox stop repping my age Lmao
Original post by nucdev
@kandykissesxox stop repping my age Lmao

Oh wow, I haven't spoken to you since yesterday and I'm greeted with that.

24 is a lovely age
Reply 1439
Oh wow, I haven't spoken to you since yesterday and I'm greeted with that.

24 is a lovely age

Lool OK then, how's this:
:hugs: :kissing2:

Or gone too much the other way?

Coulda repped the previous post instead which I spent some time on :laugh:

So is 18 tbf.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending