The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

There was also an element of 'what are they looking for/what am I supposed to say' rather than 'what would I actually do'. Well shall soon see.
Original post by tsruserrr
There was also an element of 'what are they looking for/what am I supposed to say' rather than 'what would I actually do'. Well shall soon see.

I guess that is true to an extent, as in what would I do "in that role" as opposed to everyday life. But I think the idea of these quizzes is what would YOU do, not what you think the ideal candidate would do. They are testing if you would be good for the role, not what do you think would be good for the role. If you got in on false answers you would likely struggle as you're not suited for the role. The alternative which I think is quite common (particularly on the Civil Service SJT, judging by what people on that thread have said) is you try and guess what the ideal candidate would put but then fail spectacularly as there is no real way to know what they want.

In short, I think it is a much safer bet to answer honestly, that way at least if you do fail you know you failed based on your own personality and not because you tried to "trick" the system!!

But also at this early stage it's probably not too big a deal as in if you're not a good fit it will likely come up later at some point.

EDIT: p.s. just realised this may have come across as a dig at you, it's really not supposed to, I'm sure you are more than capable, just saying for some it would be true
(edited 8 years ago)
Previously did the tests last year, and they weren't as hard as the ones they have this year :frown:
Original post by makingamemory
Previously did the tests last year, and they weren't as hard as the ones they have this year :frown:

Don't fret, we all did terribly haha. How far did you get last year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello

How soon after submitting your application do you get invited to do the tests? I have just submitted my application form now and i'm concerned i won't receive the invite before the 5pm deadline tomorrow!
Original post by rajakumarr
Hello

How soon after submitting your application do you get invited to do the tests? I have just submitted my application form now and i'm concerned i won't receive the invite before the 5pm deadline tomorrow!

I can't remember, but I think it might have been a day or two, could be worth contacting them if you are concerned. Good luck!
Original post by Marwin123
Don't fret, we all did terribly haha. How far did you get last year?

I got as far as the SJT. The process was different last year, you sent off your application, and once you were accepted you did the verbal/numerical tests, and once you passed those you did the SJT.

Didn't help that I naively assumed the process was the same this year and gave myself a day to revise and take the test. My own fault though so not expecting to do well.

The only good thing about the tests this year is that they didn't lag. One of the main problems last year was that everytime you clicked next it would take a while for the page to load (often minutes) and your timer would include that time you missed as well so you did lose a significant amount of time. It might be one of the reasons they changed the format.

I have a feeling they'll look at the SJT scores first, then the numerical/verbal tests and lastly the application as it's the easiest way they can cull as many people.

Original post by rajakumarr
Hello

It was roughly 12 hours from when I sent the application to when I received the invite.
I got as far as the SJT. The process was different last year, you sent off your application, and once you were accepted you did the verbal/numerical tests, and once you passed those you did the SJT.

Didn't help that I naively assumed the process was the same this year and gave myself a day to revise and take the test. My own fault though so not expecting to do well.

The only good thing about the tests this year is that they didn't lag. One of the main problems last year was that everytime you clicked next it would take a while for the page to load (often minutes) and your timer would include that time you missed as well so you did lose a significant amount of time. It might be one of the reasons they changed the format.

I have a feeling they'll look at the SJT scores first, then the numerical/verbal tests and lastly the application as it's the easiest way they can cull as many people.

To be fair I wouldn't worry about the lack of practice too much - it was such a strange format, I wouldn't know how to practice for it other than the one single practice test they gave us. The other numerical/verbal tests out there are so different, doing them wouldn't have really helped. So I am sure you did okay! Hopefully they will be quick with the results.

It was roughly 12 hours from when I sent the application to when I received the invite.

As Marwin said I think these tests are pretty difficult to revise. I reckon that's another reason why they have changed to these tests, maybe they give a more accurate view of our innate abilities. The application might not even be looked at yet I think it might just be used later in the process like the fast stream application.
Completed all the tests. Managed 27/28 in both verbal and numerical reasoning.
As others have said I found the format of these to be very different to others that I had previously completed, however oddly I enjoyed the format.

Just to check, for everyone that has competed the tests, on their applicant log in page, under application status does it still show 'invite to test', as I have not received a confirmation email after completing them and don't want the deadline to have passed and them not to have registered due to a technical glitch.ngdp.PNG
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Greens24
As others have said I found the format of these to be very different to others that I had previously completed, however oddly I enjoyed the format.

Just to check, for everyone that has competed the tests, on their applicant log in page, under application status does it still show 'invite to test', as I have not received a confirmation email after completing them and don't want the deadline to have passed and them not to have registered due to a technical glitch.ngdp.PNG

Yep, it says that for me too! Now we wait.

Hey, mine still says invite to testing, I wouldn't worry.

Yeah I think I agree, if the number of questions had been more reasonable I would have enjoyed this format. I like the way the information is the same throughout and looking into different files feels like a more normal way of working. But I just think that the pressure of answering so many questions was ridiculous. Wish I'd been more like others and just relaxed and answered less questions, would have probably actually scored higher that way (not that I know how I scored yet, but I'm assuming not high!)
Yep, it says that for me too! Now we wait.

Wonder how long it will be before we hear.....
Original post by Nightwing_
Wonder how long it will be before we hear.....

I have become so frustrated and bitter, I am not getting my hopes up that it wil be late January as they say.
I have become so frustrated and bitter, I am not getting my hopes up that it wil be late January as they say.

To be fair to them, last year whenever they'd say you'd hear back on a certain day, it was always that day, never later. The negative is that compared to the FS if you don't get through they don't give feedback.
To be fair to them, last year whenever they'd say you'd hear back on a certain day, it was always that day, never later. The negative is that compared to the FS if you don't get through they don't give feedback.

That's good to hear :smile: I am not too fussed about feedback, so it's more important to me that they are on time haha
Just out of interest, have many people completed video interviews before... I've been to quite a few assessment centres, and had phone interviews etc but never a video interview.

Does anyone know if its face to face, or just recording your answers into a screen? All speculation I know.

Just hoping, as others probably are, that I can get through the more crude filtering and then get to a stage where I can pitch in a face to face environment.
Just out of interest, have many people completed video interviews before... I've been to quite a few assessment centres, and had phone interviews etc but never a video interview.

Does anyone know if its face to face, or just recording your answers into a screen? All speculation I know.

Just hoping, as others probably are, that I can get through the more crude filtering and then get to a stage where I can pitch in a face to face environment.

I assume it is a Skype interview (based on the little picture on the "stages of application" document), but they can't use the word Skype haha

Exactly. Just want to make a face to face pitch and then as Rudge said in The History Boys 'If they want me they want me". The problem is getting through the filters first.
I assume it is a Skype interview (based on the little picture on the "stages of application" document), but they can't use the word Skype haha

Really hope it's skype and not the ones where you record your answer over a programme

Quick Reply