The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by izzzler
the interview was alright i think. I mean you never really know with these things hahah, I felt like it could have gone better, but i mean it really comes down to what they thought of you.

What about you? What college did you apply to? :smile:

Well, I have the same feeling as you do..:tongue: I made an open application and I was finally interviewed by Murray Edwards..did you get your results? :smile:
Original post by seasoning
What are your reasons for putting Bristol first? I have offers from them, but I'm unsure of which one to firm.

I think you have to take in concideration what your end goal is. I think from Law school perspective they are basically equal. I'm a European/International student so see myself ending up in an international role and not UK based. Here my personal reasoning:

QMUL:
---------

+ If you see yourself ending up with a career in London then has all the possible chances of making contacts while you are there. As it is member of university of London you are also kept up to date on what law events job chances that might be happening at UCL/LSE/Kings/ pollitics etc.

+ It is on the up and investing in the future and trying to increase it's standing among the other London law schools. It already has raised the stated entry requirements to be equivalent to the competition, although they currently tend to be quietly more leniant if you dont make the grades. They will certainly in the future slam the door in your face once they have raised the brand.

- Very expensive living and limited on campus accomodation for first year students.

- You might be looked down on by your illustrious competition at the other London law schools. When I attended a King's summer school they basically said we usually associate with UCL and LSE students but not so much QMUL.

Bristol:
--------

+ A long established and reknowed law school and university is better recognised in Europe and internationally. Winston Churchill was the chancellor, which basically sums up the international view.

+ Bristol city is fantastically on the edge culturally. The Uni is slap bang in the middle of one of the best student cities in UK. It seems a lot of students who had previously grand international aspirations never leave the city and opt for a more balanced and employable regional life.

+ Ex illumini. I have personally met some very impressive ex law school students. The British ambassador of my current country was an ex Bristol law school and civil service fast track star. It obviously didn't do him any harm.

+ Drama. They have a renowned drama and film societies and offer £3000/year scholarships to talented people not directy studying subjects related to drama. It will help with my future memorable court room theatrics M'lud

- Distant from the the London networking scene
Got an offer from Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge.

I remember seeing one or two people say they were interviewed for Fitz, did anyone else here get in? (And if so can we plz b friends x)
Just got rejected from UCL based on my LNAT. It's annoying cause its LNAT and now I'm starting to think I'll get rejected from Kings for the same reason, which is my first choice.
Reply 1104
has anyone got an email from LSE saying that they need four more weeks to reach to a decision?
Original post by kirblaw3
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/law-legal-studies

Yes Manchester does also have a legal advice centre but it is generally for postgraduate students and does not have the specific projects in the same way as QMUL
I think the fact it's in London does bear a lot of weight as this means links are built throughout your time at QMUL
I would be v surprised if anyone chose Manchester of QMUL for law, generally I would say that people (who know anything about law at uni) would be far more impressed with an offer from QMUL than Manchester
I'd have a look at whatuni for more stats and stuff!

Thanks a lot! It was very very helpful!
I just got rejected from UCL based on my LNAT and I literally wanna kill myself:frown:
Original post by kingofacademics
I just got rejected from UCL based on my LNAT and I literally wanna kill myself:frown:

Sorry to hear that man, when did you apply? And what are your other choices?
Just got rejected from UCL based on my LNAT. It's annoying cause its LNAT and now I'm starting to think I'll get rejected from Kings for the same reason, which is my first choice.

What are the other choices that you put down other than KCL and UCL?

Hey mate :smile: Don't be so negative. I am sure you have been offered already a place in other unis. It is not the end of the world, right!!!
Where else have you applied and when did you send off your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MNIMxSHINee
Sorry to hear that man, when did you apply? And what are your other choices?

I applied on the 10th of December. Other choices were King's, Newcastle, East Anglia (with American Law) and QUB(only applied because close to where I live).

I have offers from UEA and QUB but honestly they're just backups, as is Newcastle. I really wanted King's and UCL but if UCL have just rejected me based on my LNAT I'll probably not get King's either. Might take a year out. So depressed like it was my dream.
Original post by Al9121010
What are the other choices that you put down other than KCL and UCL?

Other choices were King's, Newcastle, East Anglia (with American Law) and QUB(only applied because close to where I live)
Original post by Bobkata
Hey mate :smile: Don't be so negative. I am sure you have been offered already a place in other unis. It is not the end of the world, right!!!
Where else have you applied and when did you send off your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but I'm honestly so sad I got rejected because of my LNAT, because King's will probably reject me too based on that. It's depressing for me.
I applied on the 10th of December. Other choices were King's, Newcastle, East Anglia (with American Law) and QUB(only applied because close to where I live).

I have offers from UEA and QUB but honestly they're just backups, as is Newcastle. I really wanted King's and UCL but if UCL have just rejected me based on my LNAT I'll probably not get King's either. Might take a year out. So depressed like it was my dream.

You have offers from other universities so you should know that you're a good candidate, UCL is super competitive so don't worry about it. I applied in October and still haven't heard back from them haha. Best of luck for Kings

Don't worry I got rejected from UCL over my grades, it's not the end of the world! I'm sure all of your other choices are just as great!

Hi
You must be from Northern Ireland. We are from Belfast. My son was also rejected because of the LNAT essay. He felt terribly upset as he won a scholarship for the highest marks in his school in English lit. I think they tell everyone the same thing. I have heard of people getting in with quite low GCSE grades. It basically depends on whether the admission tutor likes your application. Where else have you applied to?
Original post by Cholesta
Hi
You must be from Northern Ireland. We are from Belfast. My son was also rejected because of the LNAT essay. He felt terribly upset as he won a scholarship for the highest marks in his school in English lit. I think they tell everyone the same thing. I have heard of people getting in with quite low GCSE grades. It basically depends on whether the admission tutor likes your application. Where else have you applied to?

Honestly I felt that the LNAT went fine, maybe not though.. I have 3a's and a b so my AS's are pretty decent.

I'm honestly hoping they they're telling everyone the same thing because at least that'll mean my LNAT was decent and Kings may not reject me; it's been my first choice from the start. I've applied to Kings and Newcastle and received offers from Queens and East Anglia. I know they're great unis but I don't know if I would be completely happy going there, just hoping I still have a chance with Kings. Where all did your son decide to apply?
Honestly I felt that the LNAT went fine, maybe not though.. I have 3a's and a b so my AS's are pretty decent.

I'm honestly hoping they they're telling everyone the same thing because at least that'll mean my LNAT was decent and Kings may not reject me; it's been my first choice from the start. I've applied to Kings and Newcastle and received offers from Queens and East Anglia. I know they're great unis but I don't know if I would be completely happy going there, just hoping I still have a chance with Kings. Where all did your son decide to apply?

Why didn't you apply to bristol or warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, my son applied to Nottingham and he got an email to say that in 2 weeks they would offer places to the top candidates in the LNAT with top GCSE grades. He got that offer in 2 weeks so his LNAT should have been good. UCL look at the essay and not so much the score. You'll be fine for Kings. Offers also from Bristol and Glasgow. Waiting for LSE with bated breath. My son had an offer from them last year and he had a panic attack in an exam and marginally missed his offer. He had extenuating circumstances as it was the anniversary of his dad's death. LSE still wouldn't take him. Resitting a module and fast tracking an A level. Chin up, you'll be fine. Ucl is more competitive than Kings. Hopefully you'll hear soon.
Hey guys :smile: Just interested to know if UCL reject you on the basis of your LNAT relatively fast? I mean, most of the people who had probably underperformed so far have already been rejected. Does that mean that the others have a decent score and will be taken under consideration? Sorry for the ridiculous question though. I just have a theory of how these unis make their decisions and wanted to know what you think :biggrin:
I wish everyone here good luck and hopefully we all get to our first/second choices :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending