UCL Applicants for English 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Offer for AAA's no interview!!!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by isayhi
Hello! In total, I think you will have 6 questions to answer.

They asked for the titles of texts I studied in A-Levels and a list of some of the books that I read in the past year. The following questions asked me to select the books I was most interested in, and to write a commentary on them. You'll need to write 2-3 essays of this kind (I forgot the word count, so sorry). Two of these essays ask that you tell them about your feelings when reading certain texts, and another one asked me to write about how tone and style contribute to the meaning of the book.

They also require that you do a critical commentary on a piece of poetry/prose within a set time limit, something like Paper 7 in A2. No one will monitor you, but it's best that you be honest and list down the start and end time so that everyone gets a fair chance.

I was given around two weeks to complete the questionnaire, not sure if it will be different for you!

The advantage of doing the questionnaire over an interview would be that you'll have sufficient time to think your answers through instead of being put on the spot, but at the same time you'll have to remind yourself to not be too academic/serious in your writing for the essays that ask you to reflect on how you felt about the texts that you read - not the literary analysis that you did.

These are just my two cents, so please don't think that you have to stick to it if it's not your style.

All I can say is that all the essays they tell you to write, should you choose to do the questionnaire, will definitely pay off when you get your offer letter! I almost died when I received mine, and I can say that the application process for UCL is very very rewarding.

Thank you!!xx
Hey guys! I'm a third year English student at UCL, just thought I would announce my presence in case anyone has any questions! I'm also involved with running lots of extra-curricular activities, so I can talk about non-course related stuff too :smile:
Reply 43
Does anyone have an outright rejection from UCL? It's been about four months since I applied and I haven't had a reply yet, so I was wondering whether they were just waiting until the last day to reject everyone they didn't want at once.
Hello- I also applied for english in like mid-october and haven't heard absolutely anything!!!!!!!!! should i keep my hopes low?
Hey :smile: I also got suggested to take Comparative Lit course but I'm not sure whether I should. Do you by any chance have additional information about it? (like sample courses, language we can study, and ect) I emailed the head of the faculty but they haven't got back to me yet ;(
Original post by tavia12345
Hello- I also applied for english in like mid-october and haven't heard absolutely anything!!!!!!!!! should i keep my hopes low?

I applied at the beginning of October and they invited me for an interview today. Keep your hopes up! They're working on it.
Original post by martaganger
I applied at the beginning of October and they invited me for an interview today. Keep your hopes up! They're working on it.

Congratulations!!! Are you an A-level or IB applicant?
I'm still waiting...
Original post by ziggyystardust
Congratulations!!! Are you an A-level or IB applicant?
I'm still waiting...

IB here! And thank you!
IB here! And thank you!

There seems to be quite a few of us IB applicants on TSR! Btw to receive a UCL offer for English, does one have to be interviewed?
Reply 50
Anyone heard back for English Lit?? Sent it off in November and heard nothing! If youve got an offer/rejection can you please let me know your AS and predicted grades so i know what to expect! Thanks guys!
IB here! And thank you!

That's so great! Do you mind if I ask you what your predicted grade is?
That's so great! Do you mind if I ask you what your predicted grade is?

43 😊 Thank you!
Ended up applying to UCL on a bit of a whim. Are all candidates interviewed and when did you hear back/apply? Thanks guys x
Good to hear I'm not the only one who has been waiting for ages...I submitted mine way back at the start of October, and UCL is my first choice, especially now I've been rejected from Cambridge! Unconditional from King's though, so I can't really complain, It's just kinda demoralising as I've heard of quite a few people getting offers and I'm still waiting, which is frustrating...
(edited 8 years ago)
Got an interview! Very nervous, does anyone who has had their interview already have any tips?
Hey I am an overseas ib applicant. I applied in January. I got predicted 40 and 7 for HL English. I got 8.5 for IELTS as well. My EE on english was predicted A. Already received offers from york and exeter. No reply from durham and bristol yet. Can anyone be kind enough to suggest the probability of me getting a conditional offer from UCL? Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Got an interview! Very nervous, does anyone who has had their interview already have any tips?

Congratulations!! Are you an IB applicant from the UK, EU or are you international?
I'm only asking because I thought that they only interview applicants living in the UK
Original post by ziggyystardust
Congratulations!! Are you an IB applicant from the UK, EU or are you international?
I'm only asking because I thought that they only interview applicants living in the UK

Thank you!!!! I'm living in the UK!
I still haven't heard back from UCL even though I applied in late October.
Has anyone received an offer in the last week or so?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending