The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imsoanonymous123
Tier 1: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Medicine, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics
Tier 2: Law, Statistics, Pharmacy, Psychology, Business Studies
Tier 3: Political Science, History, Classics, Geography, Languages
Tier 4: Theology, Archaeology, Philosophy, Architecture, History of Art, Music, Gender Studies, Sexual Health e.t.c.

Stats is Maths m8. It should be tier 1. Although tbh never heard of a pure stats degree.

Anyway your list is wrong. It should be:

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier why did you even bother going to uni
Tier 1: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Medicine, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics
Tier 4: Theology, Archaeology, Philosophy, Architecture, History of Art, Music, Gender Studies, Sexual Health e.t.c.

What about astrophysics? I'd take biology out of T1, its a girls science.
Original post by TunaTunnel
What about astrophysics? I'd take biology out of T1, its a girls science.

Yeah bio and econ were the borderline t1s. Astro is definitely t1 but didnt come to mind
Tier 1: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Engineering,
Tier 2: Law, Statistics, Pharmacy, biomed, comp sci, economics, biology
Tier 3: History, geography, geoscience, Architecture, politics
Tier 4: Psychology, Business Studies, English, languages, Philosophy,
Tier 5: Theology, Archaeology, History of Art, Music, Gender Studies, Sexual Health

Improved it for you
Bit of an inaccurate list considering biology/biochemistry/zoology/microbiology/ecology are all generally considered life sciences, yet life sciences is classed as a separate subject and in a higher tier than some of the subjects that are life sciences :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Everyone in this thread is looking at this wrong. The God Tier degrees are the ones that yield the highest expected lifetime earnings.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/careers/what-do-graduates-do/what-do-graduates-earn/

if you look at the link above, and use average grad salary as an indicator for lifetime earnings then the tiers are:

Tier 1: Dentistry, Medicine, Engineering, Economics/Finance
Tier 2: Physics, Maths, Computer Science, Business Studies, Nursing, Chemistry
Tier 3: Everything else (e.g. languages, humanities, arts)
Reply 7
Yh because science is the only thing that employers want these days right?
Reply 8
How is English in the same tier as business studies and lower than geography?
I'm guessing general consensus by TSR?

wen sumone puts buisness studies above languages...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
What about PPE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is much more realistic...

Tier 1: Agriculture (without farming we would all be ded), Medecine, Construction (houses are vital), Maths, Langugaes.

Tier 2: Geography (for travel and mapping), Retail managment (actual USEFUL economics), Buisnes studies, all specific stuff like optometry and pharmacy and phisiotheraphy.

Tier 3- Creative Writing, filmmaking, art, history, classics (all the fun stuff that mkes like cool)

Tier 4- Sciences- not because they r not important but they are basically maths.

EDIT- WOOPS I forgot Forestry should be in Tier 1 because we use trees for so many different things.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheWaffle
wen sumone puts buisness studies above languages...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Language only really loses value as time goes on whereas business increases in value.
Language only really loses value as time goes on whereas business increases in value.

Why do you think that?
Oh dear, this again. *rolls eyes*
Why do you think that?

As technology improves our need for people to translate between languages reduces.
As technology improves our need for people to translate between languages reduces.

I don't think that's true. Maybe on a lower tier way. But often in interpreting the key is not the technical accuracy of the translation but that the tone, emotion and nuances are not lost between the two parties. That is something that only a human can ensure. It is absolutely key for spoken/ written social and political spoken negotiation between different countries. In addition if you look up the role of a UN translator (as in one of the many to transcribe the speeches at UN gatherings as they are said into different languages) you will see the huge importance of their role.
That is without mentioning the quality of life and choices which are added to someone who has the option to live in another country that speaks the language they've learnt.
I don't think that's true. Maybe on a lower tier way. But often in interpreting the key is not the technical accuracy of the translation but that the tone, emotion and nuances are not lost between the two parties. That is something that only a human can ensure. It is absolutely key for spoken/ written social and political spoken negotiation between different countries. In addition if you look up the role of a UN translator (as in one of the many to transcribe the speeches at UN gatherings as they are said into different languages) you will see the huge importance of their role.
That is without mentioning the quality of life and choices which are added to someone who has the option to live in another country that speaks the language they've learnt.

Can you rep me for my point at least?
Can you rep me for my point at least?

Which one?
That list is so bs lol. Main issues being classics tier 3 and Pharmacy being tier 2? lmao as if. (don't do either of the above).

Latest