The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by echelonprincess
The NSHCS website said Cytopathology isnt available for 2016 entry if thats what you meant as your back up choice. I'm also applying for Reproductive Sciences with Histopathology as my 2nd choice. I haven't done as much as you though. i'm only in my 3rd year of BSc (Hons) Physiology.

LOL Oh my god I'm so blind, I thought it said "not in 2015" as in it was available this year. Wow, with my keen eye for detail I will make a great scientist haha!
I guess it's Histopathology as a second choice then! If I don't get in this year I think I will apply for PhD's but there aren't very many interesting titles in Reproductive Sciences coming up at the moment :frown: Bring back the ACE certificate!! :'(
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HannahBolland
LOL Oh my god I'm so blind, I thought it said "not in 2015" as in it was available this year. Wow, with my keen eye for detail I will make a great scientist haha!
I guess it's Histopathology as a second choice then! If I don't get in this year I think I will apply for PhD's but there aren't very many interesting titles in Reproductive Sciences coming up at the moment :frown:

Yeah it was going to be Cytopathology as my 2nd choice too until they updated that website a few days ago :frown:
I'm wondering now if I should even bother applying. I've only just started practising psychometric tests in general and seems like it's something you need to do months beforehand in order to pass well, especially with numerical reasoning. And my draft answers to the application Q's feel very vague.

Apparently there's only a 1 in 10 chance of succeeding so I might just be wasting my time when I know I'm not fully prepared :frown:
Original post by librarygirl
I'm wondering now if I should even bother applying. I've only just started practising psychometric tests in general and seems like it's something you need to do months beforehand in order to pass well, especially with numerical reasoning. And my draft answers to the application Q's feel very vague.

Apparently there's only a 1 in 10 chance of succeeding so I might just be wasting my time when I know I'm not fully prepared :frown:

Do you have the exact application questions? I haven't seen them anywhere and wanted a go!

I defo think you should apply regardless! You got nothing to lose and can reapply in the future anyway ☺️

The psychometric tests admittedly I found hard last year, the hardest part being how quick you have to answer (and that you can't wing it because it gives you about 20 possible answers to choose from). You have nothing to lose by applying unless you have exams or other things that are coming up at the same time. A lot of people apply two or three times before they get a place. From talking to some consultant scientists I understand that although it is very competitive and at face value you're competing with 10 or more people for a place but in reality a lot of applications are rubbish, people talking about how much they are "compassionate" and enjoy patient contact and wanting to do it because it's a free MSc and not having any idea of what they'd be doing.
On another note, you don't have to pass the online tests well, unless they change it. You have to get above the minimum mark and after that, the only time they will look at your test score is to decide upon two very similar candidates in a tie break situation for who to interview.
Reply 85

With the tests, it's not something you need to spend ages preparing for. The practise is mainly so you understand the format of the questions and know what to expect. They're meant to be challenging, and everyone's in the same boat.

However, vague answers to the essay questions probably won't cut it - they want specifics with real examples. I'd focus on these more than the psychometric practice.
Reply 86
Original post by Bagsworth
The psychometric tests admittedly I found hard last year, the hardest part being how quick you have to answer (and that you can't wing it because it gives you about 20 possible answers to choose from). You have nothing to lose by applying unless you have exams or other things that are coming up at the same time. A lot of people apply two or three times before they get a place. From talking to some consultant scientists I understand that although it is very competitive and at face value you're competing with 10 or more people for a place but in reality a lot of applications are rubbish, people talking about how much they are "compassionate" and enjoy patient contact and wanting to do it because it's a free MSc and not having any idea of what they'd be doing.
On another note, you don't have to pass the online tests well, unless they change it. You have to get above the minimum mark and after that, the only time they will look at your test score is to decide upon two very similar candidates in a tie break situation for who to interview.

Yeah - a lot of applicants will just be applying because they're finishing uni and this is a science graduate job. They won't have made any effort to research the STP or what it entails, and this will be reflected in their essay questions. They want people who know what they're signing up for, so all these will be thrown out.
Original post by a6georgia1
Do you have the exact application questions? I haven't seen them anywhere and wanted a go!

I defo think you should apply regardless! You got nothing to lose and can reapply in the future anyway ☺️

I cant remember the exact questions but I saved my answers from last year and just reading through them now the topics were roughly:

- relevant work experience
- interpersonal/communication skills and "high achievements"
- passion for science
- motivation for wanting to do the STP
And I cant remember the last one haha, but it's around 200 words per question.
I cant remember the exact questions but I saved my answers from last year and just reading through them now the topics were roughly:

- relevant work experience
- interpersonal/communication skills and "high achievements"
- passion for science
- motivation for wanting to do the STP
And I cant remember the last one haha, but it's around 200 words per question.

Super thank you!
Reply 89
The questions were:

In no more than 200 words, please state why you have applied for the Healthcare Scientist Training Programme, outlining your motivation for the programme and what you plan to gain in terms of career development

In no more than 200 words, please demonstrate your passion for science and/or technology and provide evidence about how you seek to implement constant improvement and innovation in your work/studies

In no more than 200 words, please describe the two values which you consider to be the most important to deliver high quality, safe and effective healthcare services to people, and give a recent example of when you have displayed these values.

In no more than 200 words demonstrate how you have worked as part of a team and outline the skills you used to influence the outputs of that team. Please summarise your achievements in order to demonstrate you are a high achieving individual.

In no more than 200 words, tell us what actions you have undertaken to increase your knowledge of healthcare science and to find out more about the training scheme
Original post by Bagsworth

What is the minimum pass mark? I hear some employers put it at 70- yikes!

Original post by alex83
With the tests, it's not something you need to spend ages preparing for. The practise is mainly so you understand the format of the questions and know what to expect. They're meant to be challenging, and everyone's in the same boat.

However, vague answers to the essay questions probably won't cut it - they want specifics with real examples. I'd focus on these more than the psychometric practice.

Ok they are not exactly vague, it's just my examples are a bit repetitive since all I have to go on is uni work and a couple of visits to the lab.
What is the minimum pass mark? I hear some employers put it at 70- yikes!

Ok they are not exactly vague, it's just my examples are a bit repetitive since all I have to go on is uni work and a couple of visits to the lab.

Some employers do push it right up to about 70% but I believe (but no information on this exists publicly) that the pass mark is about 50%. About 2/3 of applicants usually get through to shortlisting. If they wanted to be cruel they could push the pass mark up but surely they should know that (at least in biochem) these tests don't reflect regular practise at all and are not a good indicator of future performance, they are just a blunt object with which to reduce the number of applications.
Reply 92
Newcastle expect to have the following posts available:

Genetics x 4
Bioinformatics Genomics
Bioinformatics Physical Sciences
Haematology
Urodynamics
Audiology
CVRS Respiratory Sleep
CVRS Rhythm Management
Neurophysiology
Medical Physics x 4
Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences

I'm pleased - it was my top choice of location, but they've not offered genomics before so I wasn't sure they'd be starting.
Original post by alex83

Genetics x 4
Bioinformatics Genomics
Haematology
Urodynamics
Audiology
CVRS Respiratory Sleep
CVRS Rhythm Management
Neurophysiology
Medical Physics x 4

I'm pleased - it was my top choice of location, but they've not offered genomics before so I wasn't sure they'd be starting.

That's interesting! I'm concerned for Rep Med placements as obv Newcastle aren't doing it when they did last year, and Southampton withdrew theirs due to funding - wonder if more than one place will do it! I reckon posts will go up within next hour confirmed as they've been updating website with little links since 3pm with more info.
Original post by alex83

Genetics x 4
Bioinformatics Genomics
Haematology
Urodynamics
Audiology
CVRS Respiratory Sleep
CVRS Rhythm Management
Neurophysiology
Medical Physics x 4

Where did you find out that information about Newcastle? I was just wondering because i cant see it on the website
Reply 95
It was included in the email they sent me confirming details about their open day on Friday,

Other than that, I know Sheffield are expecting 2 genetics and 1 genomics positions, but that's it. And there are a total of 257 positions this year according to Oriel.
Posts are up!
Reply 97
Wohoooo, I'm quite happy with the number of post for Genomics and Genomic Counselling, relatively to all places it looks good :h: Anyone else applying for Genomic Counselling?
UUUUHHHHHHH 8 for Repro and TWO for histopathology
I'll probably go for Manchester at first choice and then Liverpool as second and I cant remember if you get a third choice option?! Maybe one of the London ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
UUUUHHHHHHH 8 for Repro and TWO for histopathology

Nooooo :'( At least there are more places available than just Manchester though

Quick Reply

Latest