The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by MNIMxSHINee
Sorry to hear that man, when did you apply? And what are your other choices?

Same! Got an offer from QMUL and got the rejection from UCL yesterday... Honestly, I'm not disappointed as I was expecting it considering how my LNAT went... Interesting to see what King's ends up doing...
Original post by Al9121010
For those who got their offer from Birmingham, did you all find out through email or through track?

I got sent an email from Birmingham and a track email at the same time so...
I received the track email for birmingham one day before they emailed me themselves!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnGreek
Probably not - Bristol and Warwick are wayyy down the league tables, and Durham has great teaching, but no international reputation or research presence... Besides, I can't see any top employer regarding a degree from LSE and a degree from Bristol as equal in any case (not that they would particularly care after your first job or two anyway). Also, Warwick and Bristol's strengths lie in other fields (Bristol - Engineering/ Warwick - Maths/Econ/Physics).

Bristol, Warwick and Durham are all in the top 10 Universities for law in the country...
Original post by JohnGreek
Probably not - Bristol and Warwick are wayyy down the league tables, and Durham has great teaching, but no international reputation or research presence... Besides, I can't see any top employer regarding a degree from LSE and a degree from Bristol as equal in any case (not that they would particularly care after your first job or two anyway). Also, Warwick and Bristol's strengths lie in other fields (Bristol - Engineering/ Warwick - Maths/Econ/Physics).

That's true from IB, probably. Not for law. I can't imagine anyone saying "Oh he's from LSE while he's from Bristol/Durham, I'm picking the former". That only applies to Oxbridge.

Also, anyone who takes domestic rankings seriously should be wary of advising other people (ie Surrey being above UCL, ICL and whatnot).

That said, I can see many reasons to pick LSE/KCL/UCL over Durham/Bristol/Warwick - one of them is Londinium!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
That's true from IB, probably. Not for law. I can't imagine anyone saying "Oh he's from LSE while he's from Bristol/Durham, I'm picking the former". That only applies to Oxbridge.

Also, anyone who takes domestic rankings seriously should be wary of advising other people (ie Surrey being above UCL, ICL and whatnot).

That said, I can see many reasons to pick LSE/KCL/UCL over Durham/Bristol/Warwick - one of them is Londinium!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Stefan
We're coming to Bristol for offer day in Feb. what are you're views on Notts versus Bristol? Still waiting for LSE.
Actually, LSE is not that highly regarded by the law firms recruiting partners: http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf. A post-grad admission officer at a top university told me not long ago that some grad schools have concern about LSE's grades inflation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MHussainAli
I applied to both Durham and York, both have given me conditional offers, York has two sessions of giving out offers/Interviews one in Dec and one in Jan/Feb Durham takes its time so I wouldn't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I really want to get into Durham 😩
Original post by Cholesta
Hi Stefan
We're coming to Bristol for offer day in Feb. what are you're views on Notts versus Bristol? Still waiting for LSE.

Hey,

In all honesty, there isn't much difference between schools like Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Warwick, KCL and possibly UCL in terms of rigour and career prospects.

I personally did not apply to Nottingham even though its requirements were extremely easy to obtain (basically I didn't need A-Levels at all, but could rather rely on my national qualification, which the remaining unis regard as equivalent to just one A).

Other than that, I do think that the Bristol brand is stronger than Nottingham, but of course that's an opinion only. I think your son should choose the one he likes best at an open day or through info on YouTube/sites. Outside-academia life at uni is extremely important and does affect academic performance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anitatoz
I received the track email for birmingham one day before they emailed me themselves!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Track will send you an email whenever there is an update on track?
Hey,

In all honesty, there isn't much difference between schools like Durham, Nottingham, Bristol, Warwick, KCL and possibly UCL in terms of rigour and career prospects.

I personally did not apply to Nottingham even though its requirements were extremely easy to obtain (basically I didn't need A-Levels at all, but could rather rely on my national qualification, which the remaining unis regard as equivalent to just one A).

Other than that, I do think that the Bristol brand is stronger than Nottingham, but of course that's an opinion only. I think your son should choose the one he likes best at an open day or through info on YouTube/sites. Outside-academia life at uni is extremely important and does affect academic performance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm. What do you mean by in terms of rigour?
Hmmm. What do you mean by in terms of rigour?

Like how strenuous academic work is...
Like how strenuous academic work is...

You mean it's easier to do well in Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick as compared to KCL and UCL?
Original post by leehoma
Actually, LSE is not that highly regarded by the law firms recruiting partners: http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf. A post-grad admission officer at a top university told me not long ago that some grad schools have concern about LSE's grades inflation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This report should not be relied upon when it comes to LSE and even ICL. Don't forget that LSE has circa 8-9k students, while Bristol/Durham have around 15-16k and Nottingham goes all the way up to 32k!

Of course LSE can't compete with Nottingham when it comes to student population, and the report hasn't taken account of this.
You mean it's easier to do well in Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick as compared to KCL and UCL?

No, not at all (in fact, Nottingham and Bristol award noticeably fewer 1sts than the other unis).

What I'm saying is that the academic effort required in these institutions is similar (I was referring to Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and KCL in that post).
May I ask where did you apply to?

Manchester (conditional offer), Newcastle (unconditional offer), Oxford (rejected post-interview), Nottingham (pending), and Durham (pending). Wbu??
Don't get me wrong. I'm not belittling LSE (still waiting for an offer). But facts are facts. LSE is not a comprehensive university like Nottingham. That explains its small total student population. But, when it comes to law, LSE law faculty is of similar size to other law schools (say Durham 177 new entries vs LSE 180). Unless the survey is unreliable (I have no reason to think that it is), the inevitable conclusion is that law firm recruiting partners do not rate LSE graduates as highly as people (myself included) used to think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leehoma
Don't get me wrong. I'm not belittling LSE (still waiting for an offer). But facts are facts. LSE is not a comprehensive university like Nottingham. That explains its small total student population. But, when it comes to law, LSE law faculty is of similar size to other law schools (say Durham 177 new entries vs LSE 180). Unless the survey is unreliable (I have no reason to think that it is), the inevitable conclusion is that law firm recruiting partners do not rate LSE graduates as highly as people (myself included) used to think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not just the Law class size that matters - everyone can go into law from any degree, and indeed many do. That fact that LSE performs that well with just 1/2 or even 1/3 of the undergraduate population of other universities is noteworthy. Don't forget that students at LSE are more IB-oriented than other unis.

In any case, I don't think an employer outside IB would choose someone from LSE over someone from Durham just for the University - not at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dear Stefan, please enlighten me. How does the overall population size matters when it comes to law students final destinations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leehoma
My dear Stefan, please enlighten me. How does the overall population size matters when it comes to law students final destinations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A student studying Mathematics can apply for a training contract as well. A student studying History can apply for a training contract as well. And so on. It's not only law students applying for TCs (that would be about 50-55% of those taking them). The subject you're studying is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to getting a TC - the only difference is that non-law students do not have to do the GDL.

Thus, the whole student population matters, not just law students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending