The Student Room Group

Parametric equations

The parametric equations of the curve C are x=at^2 and y=2at, where a is a postive constant. The points P and Q lie on C and have parameters p and q respectively.
a)Simplifying your answer in each case find
i)The gradient of the tangent to C at the the point P (Which i have done and got 1/p)
ii)The equation of the tangent to C at the point P(Which i have done and got yp-x-ap^2=0)

b)i)Find an expression, in its simplest form, for the gradient of the line PQ.
ii)Explain how you could use the answer of (b)(i) to derive the gradient of the tangent to C at the point P.

Can someone help solve part b i) and b ii)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Someone?
Reply 2
Bump...
Reply 3
??
Reply 4
Original post by Ayaz789
The parametric equations of the curve C are x=at^2 and y=2at, where a is a postive constant. The points P and Q lie on C and have parameters p and q respectively.
a)Simplifying your answer in each case find
i)The gradient of the tangent to C at the the point P (Which i have done and got 1/p)
ii)The equation of the tangent to C at the point P(Which i have done and got yp-x-ap^2=0)

b)i)Find an expression, in its simplest form, for the gradient of the line PQ.
ii)Explain how you could use the answer of (b)(i) to derive the gradient of the tangent to C at the point P.

Can someone help solve part b i) and b ii)

Let P(ap2,2ap) and Q(aq2,2aq)
find the gradient of the chord
then let q tend to p, ie set q=p
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
Let P(ap2,2ap) and Qaq2,2aq)
find the gradient of the chord
then let q tend to p, ie set q=p

I still dont understand it sorry :/
Reply 6
Original post by Ayaz789
I still dont understand it sorry :/

do you know how to find the gradient of 2 points if you have their coordinates?
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
do you know how to find the gradient of 2 points if you have their coordinates?

Yes you do y2-y1/x2-x1 but we dont have them in integer form? Or am i just acting retarded
Reply 8
Original post by Ayaz789
Yes you do y2-y1/x2-x1 but we dont have them in integer form? Or am i just acting retarded

what integer form?
If the points P and Q lie on the parabola with parametric equations

x = at2 y = 2at

then
t = p (say) at P and t = q at Q
You can find he gradient of PQ for:
P(ap2,2ap) and Q(aq2,2aq)
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
what integer form?
If the points P and Q lie on the parabola with parametric equations

x = at2 y = 2at

then
t = p (say) at P and t = q at Q
You can find he gradient of PQ for:
P(ap2,2ap) and Q(aq2,2aq)

What im saying is dont you have to do 2aq-2ap/aq^2-ap^2 ?? How would i do that? And would it not be 1 considering p & q are the same? Im sorry because i dont understand you
Reply 10
Original post by Ayaz789
What im saying is dont you have to do 2aq-2ap/aq^2-ap^2 ?? How would i do that? And would it not be 1 considering p & q are the same? Im sorry because i dont understand you

no
first find a simplified expression for the gradient, assuming P and Q are distinct points
Reply 11
Original post by TeeEm
no
first find a simplified expression for the gradient, assuming P and Q are distinct points

And how would i do that without y2-y1/x2-x1?
Reply 12
Original post by Ayaz789
And how would i do that without y2-y1/x2-x1?

of course with it!
Reply 13
Original post by TeeEm
of course with it!

Thats what i said before lol? What values would i use though? You said simplified?
Reply 14
Original post by Ayaz789
Thats what i said before lol? What values would i use though? You said simplified?

please read post 9 again carefully
then find the gradient PQ
Reply 15
Original post by TeeEm
please read post 9 again carefully
then find the gradient PQ

Im sorry but i dont understand it:/ that is a past paper question so can you please tell me how to get 4 marks on b i) and bii)
Original post by Ayaz789
Im sorry but i dont understand it:/ that is a past paper question so can you please tell me how to get 4 marks on b i) and bii)

dydx(x1x2)=y1y2 \dfrac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} (x_1 - x_2) = y_1 - y_2

Since we have defined a general point P (the parametric equations) on the curve, we can sub these values as x1 x_1 and y1 y_1 or x2 x_2 and y2 y_2 .

On a side note, it would be best if you could at least attempt the question. TeeEm does not take kindly to people just asking for answers :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Louisb19

Since we have defined a general point P (the parametric equations) on the curve, we can sub these values as x1 x_1 and y1 y_1 or x2 x_2 and y2 y_2 .

On a side note, it would be best if you could at least attempt the question. TeeEm does not take kindly to people just asking for answers :smile:

Ohh okay ill attempt the question, and ill tell you within 10 minutes if i can do it or not:smile: Anyways thanks louis
Reply 18
Original post by Louisb19

Nope i cant do it:/ give me the starting line?
Original post by Ayaz789
Nope i cant do it:/ give me the starting line?

Could you link me to the question paper or screenshot the question please.

Quick Reply

Latest