The Student Room Group

I got a U in one of my AS levels, will university turn me down?

I got a U in one of my AS levels, I wish I had dropped it before I took my exams but i I didn't.
I got AABU

I know if I work hard enough I can end up with 3 A*s for A2, but will applying with a U in a subject I have dropped affect my chances even if I meet (and go beyond) the A2 grades uni's ask for?

I was going to re-sit but it's causing me too much stress, so I'm just carrying on with my 3 A-level subjects and resisting modules for the one I got a B in.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying with my A2 grades btw, not predictions (I'm taking a gap year).
I doubt it will matter at all unless they specify they want a certain grade in the fourth AS :h: I got an E which is just bad and got offers from Durham, Liverpool, York, Exeter and Kent :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
bumppppppppp
Reply 4
Original post by Changing Skies
I doubt it will matter at all unless they specify they want a certain grade in the fourth AS :h: I got an E which is just bad and got offers from Durham, Liverpool, York, Exeter and Kent :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that is good to hear, I want to apply to Durham :h: would it be okay if I asked you what your A-level results were? I would just really like some reassurance.
Reply 5
Anyone else?
I have a friend who got a U in Physics AS, dropped it and studied AS + A2 Geography in one year and went to Reading for law.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
I have a friend who got a U in Physics AS, dropped it and studied AS + A2 Geography in one year and went to Reading for law.

Was that on top of his 3 other A2? So he had 4 A-levels in total?
I got BCDU at AS level and so far, I've got 4 offers including Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and Reading. What really matters is the quality of your personal statement.
Original post by Anonymous
Was that on top of his 3 other A2? So he had 4 A-levels in total?

He did 3 in his first year (including Physics) so he was forced to pick up the AS + A2 Geography, so yes I suppose he ended up with 3 A2 grades + a U in his AS.
Original post by SeanFM
He did 3 in his first year (including Physics) so he was forced to pick up the AS + A2 Geography, so yes I suppose he ended up with 3 A2 grades + a U in his AS.

Oh okay, that is okay then. I have the same as him then I suppose. I also want to study law :smile:

If it's not too much to ask, do you have any info on your friends extracurriculars?
I got BCDU at AS level and so far, I've got 4 offers including Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and Reading. What really matters is the quality of your personal statement.

That is fair enough, did you have a lot of extra curricula's you mentioned?
Oh okay, that is okay then. I have the same as him then I suppose. I also want to study law :smile:

If it's not too much to ask, do you have any info on your friends extracurriculars?

As far as I can remember, he had a work placement in... year 12, I think it was, with a law-related company in London (I can't remember exactly where or what!) or worked for someone who knew a lot about law and talked about that a lot in his PS.

He also did a lot of reading on Law and History as it interested him.

He was also part of the debating society at school, he was the person who took minutes as well as debating.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit more but he didn't tell me :tongue:
Most likely you'll be fine, even with Durham, so long as you're not applying for too competitive a course (or one that specifies you need a fourth AS level, obviously). It may hold you back if the subject you failed was closely related to what you want to study at uni though...

(assuming you pull up your grades this year of course!)

Spoiler

No it will not matter. I have seen plenty of people at my school who failed in one subject, manage to get places at RG/Post 1992 universities. So long as you meet the entry requirements for the university course and you are an overall competitive applicant you will do fine. In fact I know someone who failed in their computing A level but did excellent in Maths and Further Maths and managed to get a place for Comp Sci at a top 10 university. (As you may know, universities only require mathematics and maybe further maths for Comp Sci degrees).

Basically, no. Stop worrying. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I got placed in the winter pool at cambridge with a U in Maths with Statistics, i think you will be fine :smile:
My friend got ABDU and currently she has offers from Queen Mary,Kent and Royal Holloway.
I got a U in one of my AS levels, I wish I had dropped it before I took my exams but i I didn't.
I got AABU

I know if I work hard enough I can end up with 3 A*s for A2, but will applying with a U in a subject I have dropped affect my chances even if I meet (and go beyond) the A2 grades uni's ask for?

I was going to re-sit but it's causing me too much stress, so I'm just carrying on with my 3 A-level subjects and resisting modules for the one I got a B in.

I think the bigger problem is how on earth did you get a U? Did you spend a year doing absolutely nothing, then purposely not answer any questions in the exam?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I think the bigger problem is how on earth did you get a U? Did you spend a year doing absolutely nothing, then purposely not answer any questions in the exam?

It's more common than you might imagine, at my (state school) sixth form at least a third of students got at least one U out of four AS levels.
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Original post by Mostly_Crazy
It's more common than you might imagine, at my (state school) sixth form at least a third of students got at least one U out of four AS levels.

Plenty of students neglect one of their subjects. Most of the time it's because of a carefree attitude and a lack of understanding of the consequences of not putting in enough study hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending