The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Yep 21st March :biggrin: luckily they were able to jig it about a bit because none of the dates were official yet (my first date was no good). I'm pretty sure we'll all get interviews on here. I think it's just those with no real experience at all that don't get through this stage.

Original post by Sophia08
So you've been given your date? Congratulations!! That's really nice to know they've taken into consideration your surgery- I hope it goes well!
Hopefully we will get the dates shortly, I hope you're right about us all getting interviews.

Sending good vibes for your surgery and recovery! Very good of them to help you out! They seem like a very caring place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neuronerd
Yep 21st March :biggrin: luckily they were able to jig it about a bit because none of the dates were official yet (my first date was no good). I'm pretty sure we'll all get interviews on here. I think it's just those with no real experience at all that don't get through this stage.

aw yay!! That's fab news for you. And you have plenty of time as well!
Fingers crossed... here's hoping we might hear by the end of the week, but I think i'm being too optimistic
"We will be sending out letters later this month."

end of the week is perhaps a touch optimistic! Plus they use second class postage boooo

Original post by Sophia08
aw yay!! That's fab news for you. And you have plenty of time as well!
Fingers crossed... here's hoping we might hear by the end of the week, but I think i'm being too optimistic
Original post by ThomasPassion
This begs a huge question, which is: do you seriously intend to complete an entire biomed degree, which you will then chuck over in order to do graduate medicine? Because that seems an, err, circuitous route to go take.

Lol, which is in fact what the entire population of this thread is doing. Hence why it is GRADUATE entry. Your previous degrees are not being used.
Original post by Jimib5863
Lol, which is in fact what the entire population of this thread is doing. Hence why it is GRADUATE entry. Your previous degrees are not being used.

But a lot people, including myself are only considering medicine at this later stage. So they did do their first degree because they wanted to not as a stepping stone. Our previous degrees are being used for many reasons, the skills we learn from doing a degree, for science graduates the knowledge we already have will help us in medicine, and more. Even for arts graduates the degree will be useful in other ways. Having a 1st degree is very useful for second degree, it's not pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah? Except that we had already started those degrees. And for the record, I wouldn't dream of going straight from a first degree into GEM, although a lot of people clearly do this.

Edit:
I would not have been up to doing medicine as a first degree, for many reasons. However, I would not have done my first degree (which in itself was brutal) in order to then do grad med.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know how graduate med works in terms of UCAS? I assume we don't get a "firm" and "insurance" choice as we did at undergrad??
Original post by Harvey23
Does anyone know how graduate med works in terms of UCAS? I assume we don't get a "firm" and "insurance" choice as we did at undergrad??

You will get conditional offers based on dbs and occupational health, so in theory i think you get firm and insurance.
It works the same I assume, difference is we aren't going to need our insurance option because we either already have our qualifications or all the offers will have the same requirements!

I'll be selecting a firm and rejecting the rest (if I manage to get more than one offer of course!).

Original post by Harvey23
This is what Bristol University said about why they are stopping their graduate entry course:

"Thank you for your email, and for your interest in the University of Bristol.Impending changes in the medicine curriculum at Bristol mean that it will no longer be viable to continue with the condensed four year version of the MB ChB Medicine in 2017. The new medicine curriculum will be much more integrated, with units containing a mixture of science study and clinical teaching. There won't be standalone units that directly correspond to what science graduates have studied previously, hence it is no longer possible to condense the first and second years of the programme on behalf of those who have already completed undergraduate degrees. I am not able to comment on the plans of other institutions, but hope this information proves helpful."

I wonder if other universities will be doing the same in the future.
Original post by kelsey21
Got my SGUL interview invitation just now :smile: over the moon! As for Notts didn't they tell you whether you had an interview or not? Im worrying that for some reason my work experience would be insufficient or something!

Congrats everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's amazing, congrats.
"

I wonder if other universities will be doing the same in the future.

Almost certainly, others have already closed in the last couple of years. If the GMC changes the point of registration, as they are considering, GEM will be gone.
Original post by Alexdaman93
Almost certainly, others have already closed in the last couple of years. If the GMC changes the point of registration, as they are considering, GEM will be gone.

Hi,

What do you mean by point of registration? How does it affect grad entry? Is it because you don't get registered until FY2 or something?
Hi,

What do you mean by point of registration? How does it affect grad entry? Is it because you don't get registered until FY2 or something?

Currently the gmc registers doctors after fy1. They're talking about moving that to graduation from medical school. Not an issue for gem, except that under EU law registered doctors have to have 5 years of experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

You need 5 years of training for registration with GMC. Gem students use their F1 year to get the full 5 years, if registration moves to F1 then the GEM course would no longer be valid for GMC registration and have to be changed dramatically.
Original post by ThomasPassion
Yeah? Except that we had already started those degrees. And for the record, I wouldn't dream of going straight from a first degree into GEM, although a lot of people clearly do this.

Edit:
I would not have been up to doing medicine as a first degree, for many reasons. However, I would not have done my first degree (which in itself was brutal) in order to then do grad med.

Same. I would not have been in the right place with my level of maturity, grades or even my mental health to consider medicine ten years ago. It has taken until now to be at the correct stage in my life.

My experience in life and other fields are benefits I can bring to my practice. But there was never any intention when I applied for my first or even second degree that it was a stepping stone to medicine.

Though I do agree that coming to medicine older and with more experience is no bad thing. Perhaps moving to all grad entry might be something for the future.

Personally I would rather someone gained experience I. Another discipline prior to medicine than people taking medicine places as a stepping stone to a career in IB or Consultancy. Have read a few threads on here which have made my blood boil in that regard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feeling a bit disheartened after Newcastle interview today. I thought it was okay when I first came out, but the more I think about it the less sure I am that it went well! I love Newcastle so much too, I'll be gutted to be rejected.
Original post by LilithSternin
Feeling a bit disheartened after Newcastle interview today. I thought it was okay when I first came out, but the more I think about it the less sure I am that it went well! I love Newcastle so much too, I'll be gutted to be rejected.

Sorry to hear that... Newcastle is probably my first choice. Irritating that we have to wait all the way past February 26th to find out as well!
Original post by Clunkles
Sorry to hear that... Newcastle is probably my first choice. Irritating that we have to wait all the way past February 26th to find out as well!

I know, it's such a long time to wait. I don't think I did badly exactly, just probably not well enough to be in the top 35 or however many offers they give.

Newcastle is just brilliant, hope your interview is successful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending