The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pomegranatefan
Good attitude - I mean don't get me wrong you will have an amazing time, and I have - it's just very very emotionally turbulent and I guess you have to decide if it's worth it. Well done on the offer - and well done to people who went through any stretch of their crazy application processes, regardless of the outcome

I hope so, I like working under pressure so I hope I'll thrive in the environment, but you're not the only one I've heard say that they found it emotionally draining. Thank you, I just have to see if I make my grades now! And yes, I think a lot of people think they've failed if they don't get in but just getting an interview is impressive, it shows you're of a standard to at least be in with a realistic chance.
Original post by paradoxicalme
I hope so, I like working under pressure so I hope I'll thrive in the environment, but you're not the only one I've heard say that they found it emotionally draining. Thank you, I just have to see if I make my grades now! And yes, I think a lot of people think they've failed if they don't get in but just getting an interview is impressive, it shows you're of a standard to at least be in with a realistic chance.

True, also as a general word of advice, most of the pressure here will be in your head, so if you make an active effort to not let it get to you from the beginning, you will do great.
Original post by pomegranatefan
True, also as a general word of advice, most of the pressure here will be in your head, so if you make an active effort to not let it get to you from the beginning, you will do great.

I'm suprised the pressure is still so full-on for postgrads. But then again maybe I shouldn't be. Are you MPhil or PhD?
Original post by jneill
I'm suprised the pressure is still so full-on for postgrads. But then again maybe I shouldn't be. Are you MPhil or PhD?

MPhil - which is notoriously full on, all the PhD's admit their MPhil was tougher. They are all intense nine month courses (and overpriced).
Hey
I wanted to know more about how umps averages work for post A-level applicants? Do they still consider AS grades or altogether?
Also would 2A*s and A be good enough for auto-pool or will it depend on UMS average?
Thanks
Original post by lilypadrobber
Hey
I wanted to know more about how umps averages work for post A-level applicants? Do they still consider AS grades or altogether?
Also would 2A*s and A be good enough for auto-pool or will it depend on UMS average?
Thanks

A*A*A* needed for auto-pool post A-level.

And yes they need all your module UMS at AS and A2. Including any resits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My results are
Maths 598/600
F maths 563/600
Physics 576/600
Chem 279/300 at AS
Is the f maths good enough to be competitive overall if I reapply? Rejected last year from cambridge, thanks for any responses
Also does anyone know when it will be too late to withdraw from a confirmed place?
If you've withdrawn your application to cambridge, can you reapply the year after?
Original post by strawsndbread
If you've withdrawn your application to cambridge, can you reapply the year after?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 250
Hi everyone. I just got rejected for HSPS, and I am considering reapplying, although I have offers from other good unis.
How did reapplying work out for you guys in the end? Would you recommend it?
Thanks
Original post by grammar12
Im considering reapplying in 2016 for English. I applied to Downing this year. I was expecting a rejection because I had low UMS, but I was placed into the Winter Pool which has really really thrown me off. I was rejected after not being made an offer in the pool, but, I'm seriously considering reapplying because of the fact they felt I was suited to Cambridge because they pooled me. The past week has been emotional, but Im now looking forward to trying to get the best grades possible and see what position I'm in on results day

I'm similar - I applied for history with A -96% A-95% B, E at As, with extenuating circumstances. I was in the winter pool with no offer at the end of it. I'm so gutted! Glad you're staying positive though - to be pooled with lower UMS just proves you're an excellent candidate, so I'd say it's well worth applying if your results improve on results day, maybe get some feedback and see what your college thinks of it too? Best of luck!
Original post by hemartin
Hi everyone. I just got rejected for HSPS, and I am considering reapplying, although I have offers from other good unis.
How did reapplying work out for you guys in the end? Would you recommend it?
Thanks

I got a direct offer and was hugely relieved so it's certainly possible, all depends on your grades/ums. I told myself I'd only reapply with a ums of 97% at A2, which thankfully was exactly what I got. Maybe decide after results day?
Reply 253
Original post by 9Richard7
I got a direct offer and was hugely relieved so it's certainly possible, all depends on your grades/ums. I told myself I'd only reapply with a ums of 97% at A2, which thankfully was exactly what I got. Maybe decide after results day?

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering, wouldn't my firm choice take it badly if I suddenly decide not to go after results day, then reapply in October?
I got in this year, post A-Levels. Technically not a re-application, as last year I applied to "The Other Place," but I don't think that matters. It's perfectly possible to get in post qualification, in fact - and this is pure conjecture - I think it may be easier. If you do well in your A-Levels they are VERY likely to interview you, then at interview it'll be stuff you've had an extra year to work on than everyone else.
I applied to Cam was pooled and rejected. What advice would you have for reapplying?
Is taking a gap year essential for that?
Does anyone accept one of the firm offers from other Unis (I have two) and then reapply to Oxbridge? Would your application be considered at all if you do join elsewhere? Is taking a gap year the only way to do it?
Original post by zorfiuso
My experience may be useful to some people.

I applied to Cambridge last year for phys NatSci (Johns) but did not even get an interview. Through feedback I was told this was because of my AS UMS scores being too low. I was also 'informally' advised that it was not really worth reapplying and that I should just go to one of the other fantastic unis in the UK.

Not one to be deterred (aka being stubborn) and having decided that I no longer wanted to do NatSci (in particular chemistry) and instead wanted to do Engineering I decided to take a Gap Year. Having retaken one AS Maths Module that I messed up in and beaten my predictions to get the equivalent of 3A* and an A (the A being 5 marks off an A*...grrr) I decided to reapply to Cambridge as I didn't lose anything and I didn't have to worry about spreading my applications out to unis with lower grade requirements.

Having done a load of research as to what tests/qualifications (TSA/STEP etc) were required at each college I chose Girton. I liked the good atmosphere, larger college and don't mind the cycle and staying fit part. Also I was told they are not as pernickety abous UMS (especially when I already had my full results), but not sure how true this is.

I got an interview which I was very pleased to get (as getting further than last year) and then in January I got a letter offering me an unconditional place :smile:

I should say I have done a lot of engineering related things to help my application such as currently working as a Student Engineer for a large Engineering company (which almost certainly helped. )

So moral of the story is If you want to try again and reapply, it is possible, even if you didn't even get an interview the first time time.

Also I would recommend applying to a different college to the one you were rejected at.

I have a hard decision as I have got unconditional at some other Uni and I need to accept it or take gap year. Am I right in thinking Oxbridge frown on anyone reapplying having taken up an offer elsewhere( Basically saying I am too good for that Uni!!). Really really conflicted as my heart was set on one of the big Unis.:frown:
Reply 257
Original post by meganfurley
I have a hard decision as I have got unconditional at some other Uni and I need to accept it or take gap year. Am I right in thinking Oxbridge frown on anyone reapplying having taken up an offer elsewhere( Basically saying I am too good for that Uni!!). Really really conflicted as my heart was set on one of the big Unis.:frown:

I was thinking of accepting a place at another uni, then waiting for results day. If I do OK in exams, but nothing special, I go to that uni. If I do really well (better than predicted, which would give me a better chance of getting into Cambridge), I reject the place, go through the application process again and take a gap year.
Original post by meganfurley

Cambridge doesn't allow it. Oxford does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethskyerobinson
I'm similar - I applied for history with A -96% A-95% B, E at As, with extenuating circumstances. I was in the winter pool with no offer at the end of it. I'm so gutted! Glad you're staying positive though - to be pooled with lower UMS just proves you're an excellent candidate, so I'd say it's well worth applying if your results improve on results day, maybe get some feedback and see what your college thinks of it too? Best of luck!

Thanks! Unfortunately I didn't end up reapplying to any university this year for family reasons, but fully focussed on reapplying for 2017. I managed 4 A's at A2 and I will be doing an additional A level next year to boost my chances of getting in with an A* so fingers crossed. I hated the whole interview process, but I know its the best way of getting the best candidates. I personally feel that too many unis put too much of a focus on UMS and grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending