The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by bahjat93
All i'm going to say is that think of the parents who have brought you up!
They worked hard to raise you, is this how you want to repay them?

I'm the sort of guy who woudn't blink twice if my mum decided to marry me off to someone i never met! This is because of the respect i have for her and the hard work she did for me!
There is someone who you should be willing to sacrafise everything for and that is my mum for me!

That doesn't necessarily sound like respect, that sounds as though your parents have conditioned you to the extent where your life is theirs to control. Respecting your parents is one thing, letting them control your life is another.

Original post by Adeel Ali
The Qur'an hasn't been changed. Not a word from since it was first sent down. No man has every altered it and no man ever will. The other faiths have been altered. Think about how many different versions of the bible there is. Islam is the truth, why should it need to be changed?

I don't mean to offend but how could you possibly know that? You weren't there when the Quran was 'sent down', it could have been altered soo many times and you'll probably never know what was written in the original copy.

I thought we were having a civil discussion?

I would like to tell you why i believe that this is your choice. In nature if you don't reproduce your species goes extinct. Our soul existent is to reproduce and to ensure the survival of the species. You being gay doesn't follow the trend hence it is a choice!

Hold up, this part is bull**** - I cannot take this seriously anymore.
Can you provide an explanation as to why someone in a strictly Islamic/Catholic country would choose to be gay even when they know that they could be killed for it.
You've said that heterosexuals are essentially for reproduction, so that the human race doesn't go extinct BUT have you heard of overpopulation?
Do you really think that without some control, there would be enough resources for the entire human race?
From your statement, it would make sense to say that homosexuals and asexuals prevent overpopulation from occurring.

Laslty, 'Our soul existent is to reproduce' - that may be for you specifically but there are thousands of others who don't want to reproduce such as myself.
Original post by Anonymous
Nope. The Qur'an was sent down by God. The 'Hadith' and 'Sunnah' are the teachings of the prophet.

As a complete anti-theist I prefer the historical version :wink: but even so what is the Hadith and Sunna are wrong?
BTW Anon #3 Is me. Sorry for any confusion.
Original post by FahzB
That doesn't necessarily sound like respect, that sounds as though your parents have conditioned you to the extent where your life is theirs to control. Respecting your parents is one thing, letting them control your life is another.

I don't mean to offend but how could you possibly know that? You weren't there when the Quran was 'sent down', it could have been altered soo many times and you'll probably never know what was written in the original copy.

Hold up, this part is bull**** - I cannot take this seriously anymore.
Can you provide an explanation as to why someone in a strictly Islamic/Catholic country would choose to be gay even when they know that they could be killed for it.
You've said that heterosexuals are essentially for reproduction, so that the human race doesn't go extinct BUT have you heard of overpopulation?
Do you really think that without some control, there would be enough resources for the entire human race?
From your statement, it would make sense to say that homosexuals and asexuals prevent overpopulation from occurring.

Laslty, 'Our soul existent is to reproduce' - that may be for you specifically but there are thousands of others who don't want to reproduce such as myself.

Dayuuuuuuuummmmm you went IN!
Reply 164
Dayuuuuuuuummmmm you went IN!

It just had to be said.
Original post by FahzB
It just had to be said.

You have no chill :wink:
Original post by stevennotyou
As a complete anti-theist I prefer the historical version :wink: but even so what is the Hadith and Sunna are wrong?

There's always a what if. Say I said I had the original Qur'an. Then plant.. Clown may ask what if it isn't.
At some point you do have to take a leap of faith.
They have been recorded and kept in many books. There are some that are weaker than others, however I'm not learnt enough to tell you which ones are, and are not authentic.
There's always a what if. Say I said I had the original Qur'an. Then plant.. Clown may ask what if it isn't.
At some point you do have to take a leap of faith.
They have been recorded and kept in many books. There are some that are weaker than others, however I'm not learnt enough to tell you which ones are, and are not authentic.

But why would you follow something that maybe misleading you from what your 'God' wants?
Original post by rainbownightlock
there is no way that someone's religion should ever stop them being the person they are. Take me as an example. I am a catholic lesbian and many times i have had people ask me "how can you be gay and so religious at the same time?". Sexuality is innate and out of a person's control. Religion has nothing to do with sexuality.

I also have a friend who is a muslim and likes girls. She fell in love with me but for her sake i declined. She and i are both coping with our situations by just not coming out to our siblings and parents. There is no need to.
My dad is one of those who believe that you can "pray the gay away" and my mum thinks that "god hates homosexuals". When i had a girlfriend i kept it secret. I suppose that's the beauty of homosexual relationships; when you're around other people you can just pretend to be only friends.
I take great pride in both my faith and sexuality as god created me as a lesbian, and i don't give a damn what others say as i can never change.

About the marriage thing; it is illegal i think to force a marriage anyway. As for the shunning; there's not much you can do unless you're lucky and your parents don't mind you remaining unmarried.

Just ride it out. As i have grown up and become more experienced with relationships and gay problems i have learned how to make it an enjoyable part of who i am. Stay confident. And stay gay. 😉🌈

you go man
Original post by stevennotyou
But why would you follow something that maybe misleading you from what your 'God' wants?

The Qur'an is what god sent down. The hadith and sunnah are the sayings and actions of the prophet. In what way would they be misleading from what god wants, if anything they are complementary

i.e
Cleanliness is a part of the Faith
It is better for a man to give a dirham as Sadqa(Voluntary Deed) during his lifetime than to give a hundred at the time of his death. (Abu Dawud)

The best house among the Muslims is the one which contains an orphan who is well treated, and the worst house among the Muslims is the one which contains an orphan who is badly treated. (Ibn Majah)

None of you can truly be said to believe until he wants for his brother what he wants for himself. (Agreed upon)
(edited 8 years ago)
*cue muslims saying "astaghfirullah"*

Yep, you read the title right.

I like girls. I like their hair. I like the way they smell. I like that they're soft. I like that I can connect with a girl far more intensely and quicker than I do with a male.

I've always liked girls. It's always been like that. When I was a child, I'd never see the hype with boys when my female friends would be getting boyfriends. Even through my teenage years, I'd never have crushes on boys - on girls though, YESSSSssSss.

Right, enough about girls. Let's move onto me, as a person.

I am a female adult who was born and raised in an Asian AND Muslim household. Both identities are notorious to shun out anyone part of the LGBT community.
I'm not a practicing Muslim. I don't believe in a God. Yet I don't drink nor eat pork. I even eat Halal food. Maybe there's a part of me that's super scared that there is a God. Anyways that's another forum topic.

I don't believe in a God because why would he/she make me the way I am? Why would he bring me into a world where people will reject me and think I'm disgusting for merely just loving another human being?

And for those who think "you chose to like girls". Um, no. I didn't wake up one day and think "Hmmmmm YESSSS I'm going to go against my religion and my ethnic background and fancy girls. Just for the #baNTZ!!!". Oh no no no. I didn't chose to be like this.

I;ve never been in a relationship with a girl, not been with one sexually. I lust after both these things. But I have a feeling that I'll never be able to do so. Even if an opportunity came, I would feel guilty.

Being from an Asian background and Muslim background, marriage is a big deal. I'm in my 20s. I'm finishing up my studies. This is the prime time for girls and boys of my background(s) to get married. Marriage is such an important thing in Islam and in all South Asian communities.

So marriage is traditionally between a man and woman (god said adam and eve not adam and steve, am i right ?!?!), and guess what, I don't like men in that way. I've tried to invest myself with a man. I can't connect with a man on an emotional level. The though of their genitals does not make me aroused. How on earth can I get married to one? If I don't get married, I'm a failure. If I come out, I will be shunned by my family and the Asian and Islamic community.

Sooooo, I'm pretty much f*cked. Let's be real, I'm not coming out any time soon to my family or friends.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to get married. I don't want to ask "God" for forgiveness. I simply do not believe in him/her.

If you're a Muslim and reading this, do not pray for me. Don't make dua for me. There's nothing wrong with me.

In the q'uran you should be stoned, so keep it on the low near muslims.

We live in the UK. We frown upon stoning. No stoning here. Bad.
As a Muslim I wouldn't care if u were gay or not, and wouldn't judge you. If I had a gay Muslim friend id probably check out girls with her and ask if she found them fit or not.
But the asian community we come from is still very back words, and there's no point coming out to them cuz they'll just think ur disgusting or going thru an attention seeking phase or some other bs.
I'll make dua, not for u. But so that ull get accepted for who u r and can live how u want

LOL. Most muslims in the UK (Inc myself but I try) don't pray 5x daily, and you think we'd stone her?
Nope, nope nope.
Woa. Stay celibate, this life is a test for us all.. Only advice I can give really..

Why shouldn't she act on it, it's just pleasure. Just cuz she's not straight, it doesn't me she doesnt feel. She just doesn't feel for the opposite sex like u do, that doesn't mean she should deprive herself of a relationship or sex
Reply 175
In that day and age it was a common thing. Please research into it further if you want to find the truth.
No.

The Koran is supposed to be timeless, so any argument asking to take the context into consideration is invalid.
Original post by Ribbit1234
Why shouldn't she act on it, it's just pleasure. Just cuz she's not straight, it doesn't me she doesnt feel. She just doesn't feel for the opposite sex like u do, that doesn't mean she should deprive herself of a relationship or sex

This is my viewpoint as a Muslim. Nothing more.
Original post by Josb
The Koran is supposed to be timeless, so any argument asking to take the context into consideration is invalid.

Society isn't timeless. There was a time where it was possible to have slaves.. :redface:
Reply 178
Original post by Ribbit1234
As a Muslim I wouldn't care if u were gay or not, and wouldn't judge you. If I had a gay Muslim friend id probably check out girls with her and ask if she found them fit or not.
But the asian community we come from is still very back words, and there's no point coming out to them cuz they'll just think ur disgusting or going thru an attention seeking phase or some other bs.
I'll make dua, not for u. But so that ull get accepted for who u r and can live how u want

It's 'you', not 'u'.
Reply 179
I totally believe it is a choice none the less i believe that you should be allowed to make this choice and you shouldn't be persecuted for this!

When did you choose to be heterosexual?

Latest

Trending

Trending