The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LilithSternin
Feeling a bit disheartened after Newcastle interview today. I thought it was okay when I first came out, but the more I think about it the less sure I am that it went well! I love Newcastle so much too, I'll be gutted to be rejected.

I'm sure you did better than you are thinking, it's normal to feel like this after when you are constantly thinking over every little aspect of what you did!
Did the day all go as expected? I have my interview in February AHHH
I know, it's such a long time to wait. I don't think I did badly exactly, just probably not well enough to be in the top 35 or however many offers they give.

Newcastle is just brilliant, hope your interview is successful :smile:

I hope so too, going on the first day was definitely the right choice for me - Kings and Newcastle on either side of the weekend is like half the prep time :wink:
Original post by Clunkles
I hope so too, going on the first day was definitely the right choice for me - Kings and Newcastle on either side of the weekend is like half the prep time :wink:

What would be your top choice if you received an offer from both?
Original post by tommyGEM
I'm sure you did better than you are thinking, it's normal to feel like this after when you are constantly thinking over every little aspect of what you did!
Did the day all go as expected? I have my interview in February AHHH

Thanks!

I really enjoyed the day in a strange sort of way - without saying too much, everyone (without exception!) was incredibly friendly and the questions seemed designed to help you demonstrate what you'd done rather than trying to trip you up! It had the same sort of feel as King's, which I also love.
What would be your top choice if you received an offer from both?

Definitely Newcastle over London, not sure about Newcastle vs Southampton though. It's so much cheaper in ncl - pint of bitter in a posh city centre pub for £2.40!
Definitely Newcastle over London, not sure about Newcastle vs Southampton though. It's so much cheaper in ncl - pint of bitter in a posh city centre pub for £2.40!

I'm the same, a cheap pint tastes so much better! Did you get a soton offer?
I'm the same, a cheap pint tastes so much better! Did you get a soton offer?

No, cry cry, but there's always time until I've been rejected I guess! :smile:

Newcastle is amazing as a city (biased as I'm from there!) but it literally has everything you could possibly want from a city. It's the best place in the world (no bias at all :wink: )
Newcastle is amazing as a city (biased as I'm from there!) but it literally has everything you could possibly want from a city. It's the best place in the world (no bias at all :wink: )

I mentioned being from the North (Leeds) in my interview whilst talking to a Geordie, but I remembered to qualify it as "Well, maybe not the north for you" :tongue:
I know, it's such a long time to wait. I don't think I did badly exactly, just probably not well enough to be in the top 35 or however many offers they give.

Newcastle is just brilliant, hope your interview is successful :smile:

appazza (http://themsag.com/uk-medical-schools/competition-ratios) it was 43 offers last year for the same number of places there are this year, if that helps allay any nerves at all.

If you're anything like me you might be being ultra self-critical because you want Newcastle so badly. I was feeling like you seem to be after my Southampton one, as I really like the place. I felt I did distinctly ok, and indeed had fun, but thought I would be well short of the cut-off ... and they gave me an offer.

So, what I am trying to say is good luck and try not to over-analyse too much (they have people for that :P ).

Each Med. School knows what type of individual they are looking for, and I believe if you come out of the interview having enjoyed it. That often shows that you are their type of person, and that probably bodes well.
I mentioned being from the North (Leeds) in my interview whilst talking to a Geordie, but I remembered to qualify it as "Well, maybe not the north for you" :tongue:

I have some friends from home who get very protective over their status as a Northerner - anything beyond Darlington is the South according to them :tongue: interesting as I'm at uni in London and lots of Southerners seem to think everything above Luton is North.

I fully plan to spend the evening with a glass of wine and Jimmy Nail/Sting CDs :tongue:
I have some friends from home who get very protective over their status as a Northerner - anything beyond Darlington is the South according to them :tongue: interesting as I'm at uni in London and lots of Southerners seem to think everything above Luton is North.

I fully plan to spend the evening with a glass of wine and Jimmy Nail/Sting CDs :tongue:

In Leicester I swear ~50% of people are from London, it's ridiculous. Forced to say "You know nuthin, Jon Snow" enough for a lifetime in freshers week. I'm drinking cheap whisky listening to the Smiths, who are decidedly more cheerful than going through UCAS again.
Original post by Ooooooooowen
appazza (http://themsag.com/uk-medical-schools/competition-ratios) it was 43 offers last year for the same number of places there are this year, if that helps allay any nerves at all.

If you're anything like me you might be being ultra self-critical because you want Newcastle so badly. I was feeling like you seem to be after my Southampton one, as I really like the place. I felt I did distinctly ok, and indeed had fun, but thought I would be well short of the cut-off ... and they gave me an offer.

So, what I am trying to say is good luck and try not to over-analyse too much (they have people for that :P ).

Each Med. School knows what type of individual they are looking for, and I believe if you come out of the interview having enjoyed it. That often shows that you are their type of person, and that probably bodes well.

Thank you so much for posting this, so kind of you! Congratulations on your Southampton offer, you must be delighted! Well done you :biggrin:
I have an interview in February at Newcastle and was wondering if anyone would like to partner up with me to do some MMI interview practice over Skype a few times a week?
Reply 4634
Just had my first UCAS false alarm. Received an email from UCAS saying something had changed on Track. Thought for a moment it must have been Warwick, even though the interview was only last week. Turns out it was just the St George's interview. Better find a way of disabling UCAS notifications.
Original post by wl1
Just had my first UCAS false alarm. Received an email from UCAS saying something had changed on Track. Thought for a moment it must have been Warwick, even though the interview was only last week. Turns out it was just the St George's interview. Better find a way of disabling UCAS notifications.

Congratulations on your SGUL interview - I'm there at the moment for biomed and it's great! Brilliant place to be.
Original post by wl1

Hi,
Congratulations on getting an interview from St Georges. Could you please share when you have the interview? I am expecting an invite as well but haven't received anything yet.
Thanks
Reply 4637
Congratulations on your SGUL interview - I'm there at the moment for biomed and it's great! Brilliant place to be.

Thanks!

Original post by panjabi
Hi,
Congratulations on getting an interview from St Georges. Could you please share when you have the interview? I am expecting an invite as well but haven't received anything yet.
Thanks

It's on the 12th of February at 1600. Don't worry, they seem to be sending out the interviews in batches.
Any more for George's on 25 Feb at 1200? I'd specifically asked for a date late in their window so those waiting for interviews shouldn't read anything into the timing of it. Hang in there - you'll get one if you're expecting one!
Original post by rosalita
Any more for George's on 25 Feb at 1200? I'd specifically asked for a date late in their window so those waiting for interviews shouldn't read anything into the timing of it. Hang in there - you'll get one if you're expecting one!

I got one on the 25th at 11! A student nurse at the hospice I'm a HCA at says the interviews are very taxing as they want to throw you off and see how you cope/deal with it. She wouldn't give me specifics though but said just to expect some weird stuff to come up i.e. put you lateral thinking cap on. Also having read through the ISC book I feel so much more confident in preparing my answers, definitely a good investment.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending