The Student Room Group

What does it mean when a woman says you're boyfriend material?

I was speaking to my friend the other day, we have known each other for ages now and our conversations have started to get a bit flirty. Anyway she joked about any guy she sees on a night out being a potential hook up, when I asked her am I a potential hook up she said I'm more boyfriend material.

What does this mean and should I take it as though she meant it seriously?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you were just wearing clothes made out of boyfriend material? :tongue:

I think it's impossible to say whether you should take it seriously or not, and if you think that there is something there then act on it how you will.
It doesn't mean anything, it's a meaningless phrase. People say silly things that don't mean anything, this is just one of those things.
You dont make her moist but you are fun to hang around with and "nice"
It means you are easily pussy whipped.
Reply 5
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
It doesn't mean anything, it's a meaningless phrase. People say silly things that don't mean anything, this is just one of those things.

So I am best just ignoring it or should I bring it up in conversation?
Original post by Anonymous

Definitely ignore it, don't bring it up in conversation. It's a meaningless phrase, it doesn't mean anything. It wasn't said for any particular reason. People say meaningless things for no reason, that's what happened here.
Reply 7
If she said your boyfriend material then to me she meant that she doesn't see you as a hookup but something more like a potential boyfriend.
Reply 8
Original post by mkap
If she said your boyfriend material then to me she meant that she doesn't see you as a hookup but something more like a potential boyfriend.

So that's good for me then, I do like her so do you think I should bring it up the next time I speak to her?
Sounds like she's wanting to make you into a pair of jeans. I'd take it seriously and terminate the friendship ASAP.
I was speaking to my friend the other day, we have known each other for ages now and our conversations have started to get a bit flirty. Anyway she joked about any guy she sees on a night out being a potential hook up, when I asked her am I a potential hook up she said I'm more boyfriend material.

What does this mean and should I take it as though she meant it seriously?

I think - and this is just me - that the hook ups are one night stands and the boyfriend material is a much longer prospect.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I think - and this is just me - that the hook ups are one night stands and the boyfriend material is a much longer prospect.

So she possibly sees me as something more than an one night stand then.
Reply 12
So that's good for me then, I do like her so do you think I should bring it up the next time I speak to her?

yeah you could just be honest with her and tell her how you feel. Or you could wait a little longer till you flirt more and become closer then bring up it.
Original post by mkap
yeah you could just be honest with her and tell her how you feel. Or you could wait a little longer till you flirt more and become closer then bring up it.

I think the second option might be better, continue flirting with her and see if she flirts back, get to know her a bit better (we already know each other really well) and then bring it up.
Reply 14
Means you have money in the bank and will do for now.
you just got friendzoned

as a woman with a boyfriend who had a crush on me for many years I can say that "you're boyfriend material" was used in a jokey but flirty way. She wouldn't openly admit like 'hey I like you', but it's a nicer way to joke around while telling you she likes you. She is giving you a chance to act on it if you wish.
It's a clever phrase because it gives you a choice.
You can act on it, flirt with her and see where it goes
or
dismiss the comment and see it as a joke and it isn't threatening to anyone's feelings.

The beauty of it :smile:
Original post by natalia97
as a woman with a boyfriend who had a crush on me for many years I can say that "you're boyfriend material" was used in a jokey but flirty way. She wouldn't openly admit like 'hey I like you', but it's a nicer way to joke around while telling you she likes you. She is giving you a chance to act on it if you wish.
It's a clever phrase because it gives you a choice.
You can act on it, flirt with her and see where it goes
or
dismiss the comment and see it as a joke and it isn't threatening to anyone's feelings.

The beauty of it :smile:

So there is a chance she likes me then? If so then I am going to act on it because I really do like her.
So there is a chance she likes me then? If so then I am going to act on it because I really do like her.

Every time a girl/woman is comparing her friend to 'boyfriend material' , it's a hint. Its your chance to be a man and step up.

There is a big chance she likes you, yes. Does she flirt often with you?
Ask her out on a cinema trip and maybe some dinner? Don't make it too romantic at first, stay 'friendly' but make an effort.

Feel free to ask me anything else. Im all about the games :wink: haha they work out in the end.
Original post by ErniePicks
you just got friendzoned

more of the opposite my friend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending