The Student Room Group

January Edexcel Chemistry IAL Unit 1 2016 (Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Zainat0987
Oh so thats how its works.. last may one of my friend got 120ums ...and i thought he got the full raw mark...btw does it goes the same way for maths c12?? And what do you guys predict for the A to be this term..?

Yep, it works similarly for C12. Although, there's normally less scaling for maths units.
Original post by elhm18
No, last May, as in in IAL May 2015 unit 1, full UMS was 70/80 in raw actually. And 68/80 for GCE.

For IAL, last summer. 120/120 at 80 raw marks.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by SaadKaleem
For IAL, last summer. 120/120 at 80 raw marks.

Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I'd been looking at the one for biology the entire time... Quite stupid of me. I was really confused when you said that for that reason. Removing my previous comment so people don't get confused. Thank you!
Original post by Tayyabshabbirtsr
I thought i was prepared so well i didnt revise alot before the exam.Now I may aswell be loosing around 8-12 marks excluding anything which i thought was right but wasn't. How high do u guys think the grade boundary can be considering that july boundaries r always high amd january r pretty low as compared?

70 out of 80 i think
The % yield, i got was 73.5% anyone else?

Yea i rmemeber something 70ish maybe but i remember it was 70 something. Ok lol im worred about hess law i was getting my answer as -3009 thing actually it was i think exactly the same answer as the databook valu written on the other page whuch worried me.Also what was the answeer for the heat loss question? I wrote incomplete combustion and evaporation of fuel before burning. Is it correct? Oh yea nd the % yielf was 6.15/8. Something right? Cos i rmemeber 73 or 72% anywho
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mutantninja978
Also what was the answeer for the heat loss question? I wrote incomplete combustion and evaporation of fuel before burning. Is it correct?

Wrote the exact same thing and I guess it's true!!
How many alkene bonds were there? last multiple choice question!!
Original post by Adorable98
How many alkene bonds were there? last multiple choice question!!

Four double bonds were broken.

:frown: Got that one wrong then!

Lol yup wrote the same answer. I didnt think about it that much I just went for a hail mary.
What was the reason for not being able to compare the data values or experimental values of the isomers?!
Can anyone confirm about the MCQ of isotopes O16, O17, O18

How many peaks would be seen for O2+ mass spectrum?
Original post by Adorable98
What was the reason for not being able to compare the data values or experimental values of the isomers?!

I wrote same molecular formula so same mass burnt so same enthalpy change (altho i think only RMM is correct i dont feel like my firther explanation is correcr u kno. Is my answer correct tho?) also for the O2+ i chose 6. I think its correct. Lol well off topic but i also gave IAL biology and physics. I thought the phy paper was comparitively easy but then my answers dont match my friends and im worried . Tbh the papers this january were easier than expected (expected and than normal) yet someone gave me a good reason as to why this may jave happened: its the last jan exam ever so there mightve been a reason to make it easy (end the jan exams on a good note eh? Lol) honestly the donle bond question understood in the end but i did it woop AH.
I wrote same molecular formula so same mass burnt so same enthalpy change (altho i think only RMM is correct i dont feel like my firther explanation is correcr u kno. Is my answer correct tho?) also for the O2+ i chose 6. I think its correct. Lol well off topic but i also gave IAL biology and physics. I thought the phy paper was comparitively easy but then my answers dont match my friends and im worried . Tbh the papers this january were easier than expected (expected and than normal) yet someone gave me a good reason as to why this may jave happened: its the last jan exam ever so there mightve been a reason to make it easy (end the jan exams on a good note eh? Lol) honestly the donle bond question understood in the end but i did it woop AH.

Wrote the same thing, it was for a mark after all! :biggrin:

I also did bio 2day not physics!
Reply 74
it was -3030.5kj/mol
I wrote 1,2-propanediol for the reaction with KMnO4 it's not IUPAC but iit is acceptable on a place I've seen? They didnt specifically ask IUPAC so is it ok?? Also u guys r scaring me about hess law lol 😭😭 and guys is it ok if for the mechanism i showed a Br- ion with its 4 lone pairs?
I wrote 1,2-propanediol for the reaction with KMnO4 it's not IUPAC but iit is acceptable on a place I've seen? They didnt specifically ask IUPAC so is it ok?? Also u guys r scaring me about hess law lol 😭😭 and guys is it ok if for the mechanism i showed a Br- ion with its 4 lone pairs?

I just wrote, the displayed formula of the product, so idk. (You could either write formula or name)

The answer for hess law was -3030.5 kJ/mol.

In the mechanism, you had to show the dipoles in the 1st step, along with the lone pair in between of HBr for heterolytic fission.

2nd step, you had to show the lone pair on bromide ion and it attacking the carbocation.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just wrote, the displayed formula of the product, so idk. (You could either write formula or name)

The answer for hess law was -3030.5 kJ/mol.

In the mechanism, you had to show the dipoles in the 1st step, along with the lone pair in between of HBr for heterolytic fission.

2nd step, you had to show the lone pair on bromide ion and it attacking the carbocation.

I think I put butane-1,2-diol. It wasn't butane? :redface:

Also I forgot to put the lone pair between HBr but I put everything else.
Original post by Electrify
I think I put butane-1,2-diol. It wasn't butane? :redface:

Also I forgot to put the lone pair between HBr but I put everything else.

Don't remember if it was propane or butane,

anyway, there might be a possibility that, they won't penalize the lone pair between HBr, but the Br- lone pair was important.
Don't remember if it was propane or butane,

anyway, there might be a possibility that, they won't penalize the lone pair between HBr, but the Br- lone pair was important.

Pretty sure I put the Br- lone pair. I hope it was butane, seriously don't want to get a B from an exam like this.

Do you remember the answer to this multiple-choice question: there were 3 compounds and a table of -ve values were given. I think they were copper sulphate, potassium something and potassium iodide.

Quick Reply

Latest