The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful Application?

Hi all,

Just receivedmy first unsuccessful response in UCAS Track. The reasons listed said myqualifications did not match the entry requirements, however, I specifically rememberedin the subject talk at the open day them saying that the entry requirementswere not increasing until September 2016 and would not effect March applicants.So I decided to look through all the paperwork for this particular university Ihad and have found a letter they gave out on the day stating what I believed;and remembered from the talk. I have since forwarded this on to the universitystating that this is the information I received ect ect. Anyways, what I am nowwondering is whether they can change a decision in circumstances like these asthe reason they gave me for not meeting the entry requirements is now deemed inefficient.I mean will they offer me a place / interview or will they just come up withsome other reason now why they don’t want me? :s-smilie:

I am quite upset & disappointed about being rejected but I think what sucks the most is that I do meet the entry requirements they provided me with and now I have to wait until probably next week to hear what they have to say! :frown:
Original post by EmilyC0202
Hi all,

Just receivedmy first unsuccessful response in UCAS Track. The reasons listed said myqualifications did not match the entry requirements, however, I specifically rememberedin the subject talk at the open day them saying that the entry requirementswere not increasing until September 2016 and would not effect March applicants.So I decided to look through all the paperwork for this particular university Ihad and have found a letter they gave out on the day stating what I believed;and remembered from the talk. I have since forwarded this on to the universitystating that this is the information I received ect ect. Anyways, what I am nowwondering is whether they can change a decision in circumstances like these asthe reason they gave me for not meeting the entry requirements is now deemed inefficient.I mean will they offer me a place / interview or will they just come up withsome other reason now why they don’t want me? :s-smilie:

I am quite upset & disappointed about being rejected but I think what sucks the most is that I do meet the entry requirements they provided me with and now I have to wait until probably next week to hear what they have to say! :frown:

I can understand that this must be very disappointing for you, and I hope you get a response from the university soon. Is is the kind of course which requires work experience? If so, perhaps that is where your application falls short. Otherwise, it may be that they have enough people whose qualifications already match those they plan on using from September. I'm afraid the bottom line is that universities make offers on their own terms and simply meeting the requirements is not always enough. If they have genuinely made a mistake, then your communication may prompt them to reconsider, but it may also just be one of those cases where you just have to accept and move on.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I can understand that this must be very disappointing for you, and I hope you get a response from the university soon. Is is the kind of course which requires work experience? If so, perhaps that is where your application falls short. Otherwise, it may be that they have enough people whose qualifications already match those they plan on using from September. I'm afraid the bottom line is that universities make offers on their own terms and simply meeting the requirements is not always enough. If they have genuinely made a mistake, then your communication may prompt them to reconsider, but it may also just be one of those cases where you just have to accept and move on.

Yes I would have accepted and moved on but in their reasons it was just that my grades supposedly don't meet the entry requirements. I'll have to wait and see what they come back with but surely if the reasoning was anything else they would have put that and not my UCAS points? :s-smilie: Was just wondering whether they are able to change a decision once submitted on track?
Yes I would have accepted and moved on but in their reasons it was just that my grades supposedly don't meet the entry requirements. I'll have to wait and see what they come back with but surely if the reasoning was anything else they would have put that and not my UCAS points? :s-smilie: Was just wondering whether they are able to change a decision once submitted on track?

They certainly can change it if it turns out to be a mistake, which certainly can happen.

Do the entry requirements listed on your open day hand out match the requirements listed on UCAS course search and the university website?

When was the open day?

Universities can and do change entry requirements and you should check the latest requirements on UCAS and the university website before applying.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Do the entry requirements listed on your open day hand out match the requirements listed on UCAS course search and the university website?

When was the open day?

Universities can and do change entry requirements and you should check the latest requirements on UCAS and the university website before applying.

No they are different on the website however on the handout they gave out it says there that they are going to be changing them but for September applicants not for the March entry which I've applied for! The open day was about a month before I sent off my application! Hopefully they realise it was an error, perhaps they thought I was applying for September, idk
No they are different on the website however on the handout they gave out it says there that they are going to be changing them but for September applicants not for the March entry which I've applied for! The open day was about a month before I sent off my application! Hopefully they realise it was an error, perhaps they thought I was applying for September, idk

Which ones do your qualifications match? Which one is the most recent?
Reply 7
Which ones do your qualifications match? Which one is the most recent?

I match the handout - I believe they changed the website after I sent off my application as I would have double checked this as I did all my other choices! Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow
I match the handout - I believe they changed the website after I sent off my application as I would have double checked this as I did all my other choices! Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow

Then I'm afraid that if the website has the new qualifications on it, that one is likely to be the one they are working to. Requirements can and do get changed without notice, unfair as applicants may feel that is.
Reply 9
Then I'm afraid that if the website has the new qualifications on it, that one is likely to be the one they are working to. Requirements can and do get changed without notice, unfair as applicants may feel that is.

Don't seem right that they can change it once they've started recieving applications :frown: you'd think they should have to make any changes they want to the course before applications open!
Don't seem right that they can change it once they've started recieving applications :frown: you'd think they should have to make any changes they want to the course before applications open!

I'm afraid this happens all the time, and without notice. They have the upper hand here.
Reply 11
Just an update - have just received an email from the university admissions team that have admitted it was a mistake and have now invited me for testing! Woop so happy! Glad I followed this up!!! :biggrin:
Just an update - have just received an email from the university admissions team that have admitted it was a mistake and have now invited me for testing! Woop so happy! Glad I followed this up!!! :biggrin:

Yay congratulations :woo:

Well, that is excellent news. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by Student403
Yay congratulations :woo:

Thank you!!
Reply 15
Well, that is excellent news. Good luck!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending