The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Also, who got laughed out of town for saying giroud can score 30 goals?

He's well on track to reach that tally.
Original post by Tomasio
Cazorla has missed 7 league games, Sanchez 9, Coquelin 9.
Aguero has missed 7 league games, Silva 9, Kompany 16.

You can't just go throwing around assumptions based on a players game time like you just did, because you are completely wrong.
Kompany is obviously the exception, and yes I agree they would be far better for his presence in the team but I think the difference either way in favor of who has the better starting 11 is getting to be a pedantic argument, there is not much in it.
You are basing your statement about their starting 11 being comfortably better than ours based on the amount of money they spend in comparison to us. 11's comparison (pedantic):

Cech>Hart, Monreal>City's LB's, Bellerin>Sagna, Mertersacker=Otamendi, Kompany=Koscielny, Coquelin>Fernandinho, Ramsey<Toure, Walcott<De Bruyne, Sanchez>Sterling, Ozil=Silva, Giroud<Aguero.

There really isnt much in it ffs

Bellerin isn't better than Sagna, Ozil is better than Silva and KOS trumps that fat head. Don't let nostalgia fool you, he's been **** since 11/12, I don't care if they didn't concede in their first 5 games with him this season.
Original post by AliRizzo
Bellerin isn't better than Sagna, Ozil is better than Silva and KOS trumps that fat head. Don't let nostalgia fool you, he's been **** since 11/12, I don't care if they didn't concede in their first 5 games with him this season.

disagree on Bellerin there, but you get my point, there's no way their starting 11 is comfortably better than ours
Only decent team city faced with kompany is palace. And they barely got a result there and should've lost it. Vincent is a myth.
Original post by Tomasio
Cazorla has missed 7 league games, Sanchez 9, Coquelin 9.
Aguero has missed 7 league games, Silva 9, Kompany 16.

You can't just go throwing around assumptions based on a players game time like you just did, because you are completely wrong.
Kompany is obviously the exception, and yes I agree they would be far better for his presence in the team but I think the difference either way in favor of who has the better starting 11 is getting to be a pedantic argument, there is not much in it.
You are basing your statement about their starting 11 being comfortably better than ours based on the amount of money they spend in comparison to us.Main players comparison (pedantic): Cech>Hart, Monreal>City's LB's, Bellerin>Sagna, Mertersacker<Otamendi,
Kompany=Koscielny, Coquelin>Fernandinho, Ramsey<Toure, Walcott>Navas, Sanchez>Sterling, Ozil=Silva, Giroud<Aguero. There really isnt much in it ffs

They aren't assumptions. I looked at the minutes played, rather than games played which is a poor way of doing it. For example Silva has 2 games where he didn't even play 20 minutes, Kompany has 1 where he didn't even play 10, but you're counting them as equal to a full 90 minutes?
Kompany has played 729, Silva 903, Aguero 972. Coquelin 889, Sanchez 1101, Cazorla 1203.
"completely wrong"

16 goals conceded in 8 without Kompany vs 1 conceded in 8 with him ffs, ignore Aguero and Silva and that change alone would put them a few points ahead of you.

A player to player comparison doesn't take into account the importance of each position. Striker is far more important than full back for example (see Liverpool nearly winning the league with Johnson/Cissokho/Flanagan as fullbacks simply because their strikers were so good, for example).

Them being only 3 behind you despite the worse injury list (and slightly harder fixture list) says it all.
Original post by atom y humber
Only decent team city faced with kompany is palace. And they barely got a result there and should've lost it. Vincent is a myth.

Everton away? United away (we'd scored 3 goals in 4 of the 5 leading up to the City game)?
Honestly mate it's ridiculous how badly he's been overrated in his absence.

Manchester United 4 2 Manchester City FTMon 6th April
PREM Crystal Palace 2 1 Manchester City FTMarchSat 21st March
PREM Manchester City 3 0 West Bromwich Albion FT
Wed 18th MarchCL Barcelona 1 0 Manchester City FT(Agg 3 - 1)Sat 14th March
PREM Burnley 1 0 Manchester City FTWed 4th March
PREM Liverpool 2 1 Manchester City FTFebruary

The dates are muddled up there but that was a very poor run of form from City last season between February and April and Kompany started all of those games. The results are as inconsistent as this season. The way delusional fans go on about it you'd think City would have won the title by now if he had been fit ffs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Everton away? United away (we'd scored 3 goals in 4 of the 5 leading up to the City game)?

Context is key here. 3 goals at home to Ipswich (lol), at home to a pathetic Sunderland, 3 lucky goals away at Soton.

You were also shut out by Middlesbrough at Old Trafford in the very next game for God's sake and have only managed to score 16 goals in 16 games since. CONTEXT.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
They aren't assumptions. I looked at the minutes played, rather than games played which is a poor way of doing it. For example Silva has 2 games where he didn't even play 20 minutes, Kompany has 1 where he didn't even play 10, but you're counting them as equal to a full 90 minutes?
Kompany has played 729, Silva 903, Aguero 972. Coquelin 889, Sanchez 1101, Cazorla 1203.
"completely wrong"

16 goals conceded in 8 without Kompany vs 1 conceded in 8 with him ffs, ignore Aguero and Silva and that change alone would put them a few points ahead of you.

A player to player comparison doesn't take into account the importance of each position. Striker is far more important than full back for example (see Liverpool nearly winning the league with Johnson/Cissokho/Flanagan as fullbacks simply because their strikers were so good, for example).

Them being only 3 behind you despite the worse injury list (and slightly harder fixture list) says it all.

Fair play, the minutes don't lie. Still I just don't see the massive chasm in ability in City's favor between any of the 11's bar in De Bruyne and Aguero's case. Even then Giroud is more than good enough to lead the line, whilst Walcott is a massive danger to any PL defender (hence us hammering yourselves and deservedly doing City). Still think Kompany is completely over hyped and hasn't been top class in years, remains to be seen if he ever will be again esp since Pellegrini expects him to be out till near the end of the season.
On a completely different note; 2012/13 and 2014/15, city only finished with 78 and 79 points. Looking at these squads the spine of the team is unchanged; Hart, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Kompany, Toure, Silva, Aguero everpresents, as well as tevez sporadically in 2012/13. Clearly they have added quality in De Bruyne, Sterling, Fernandinho, but I still feel that the overall level of this current squad is similar/ marginally improved compared to these squads. So Who is to say they will ever find form eh lads!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Context is key here. 3 goals at home to Ipswich (lol), at home to a pathetic Sunderland, 3 lucky goals away at Soton.

You were also shut up by Middlesbrough at Old Trafford in the very next game for God's sake and have only managed to score 17 goals in 16 games since. CONTEXT.

No not Ipswich, I'm talking league games only: Everton, Liverpool, Sunderland, Southampton.

We started none of Rooney, Martial, Young, Mata, Herrera vs Middlesborough so that's irrelevant really.
Original post by difeo
No not Ipswich, I'm talking league games only: Everton, Liverpool, Sunderland, Southampton.

We started none of Rooney, Martial, Young, Mata, Herrera vs Middlesborough so that's irrelevant really.

You mean the same Wayne-no-goals-Rooney United fans have wanted dead over the last few months? Great addition to the argument there, and apart from Martial the rest are absolutely laughable.

16 goals in 16 games after doesn't lie..

EDIT: Martial, Rooney and Young were all substituted on in the game. Rooney at half time, and the latest Martial at 71 mins in. The game went to penalties.
(edited 8 years ago)
Kompany, Aguero and Toure are League title winners they know what it takes having done it twice before that's what gives them the edge I'm not sure if Arsenal can handle the pressure
Original post by al_94
Kompany, Aguero and Toure are League title winners they know what it takes having done it twice before that's what gives them the edge I'm not sure if Arsenal can handle the pressure

Yaya doesn't care and wants out due to guardiola's arrival next yr, Kompany's perma injured, Aguero could go one of 2 ways...
You mean the same Wayne-no-goals-Rooney United fans have wanted dead over the last few months? Great addition to the argument there, and apart from Martial the rest are absolutely laughable.

16 goals in 16 games after doesn't lie..

Lol look at it the other way round then, our forward 5 were Fellaini, Lingard, Pereira, Depay, Wilson

16 games (3 months) later is kind of stretching it a bit in terms of relevance. How about 5 games either side, which gives us 17 in 10.

Anyway this is all a bit of a tangent. The original point that the games Kompany has played in are significantly easier than the ones he's missed was pretty laughable, classic atom
Original post by difeo
Lol look at it the other way round then, our forward 5 were Fellaini, Lingard, Pereira, Depay, Wilson

16 games (3 months) later is kind of stretching it a bit in terms of relevance. How about 5 games either side, which gives us 17 in 10.

Anyway this is all a bit of a tangent. The original point that the games Kompany has played in are significantly easier than the ones he's missed was pretty laughable, classic atom

Can't argue with that. Can't really make a comparison anyway if he's only played in 5 and missed 16 lol.
Original post by Tomasio
Yaya doesn't care and wants out due to guardiola's arrival next yr, Kompany's perma injured, Aguero could go one of 2 ways...

That's just rumors we don't know the future
I don't think City's XI is comfortably better.

Keepers even
Fullbacks go to Arsenal marginally
CB goes to Arsenal, with the injury to Kompany
CM goes to City, with Coquelin's injury
Wide players are even
Ozil and Giroud are probably only half a step behind Silva and Aguero, and on form, ahead

City are pretty tough to judge because any half decent team can properly abuse them through the midfield, but they're always there or thereabouts in the title race thanks to their attack
I agree that the 1st xi is closer than a lot of pundits make out but the 2nd xi is definitely going to city comfortably:

Caballero
Sagna Demichelles Mangala Clichy
Nasri Delph Fernando Navas
Bony Iheanacho

Is quite a bit better than:

Ospina
Debuchy Chambers Gabby Gibbo
Flam Wilsh (lol)
Campbell Santi Ox
Walcott

That being said they don't have any players of note bar the 22, we still have the likes if Welbeck, Rosicky, Nenny now etc
What!! A bit better? Those team are probably on bar. Damn those defences are jokes. Wilshere easily second best midfielder in the list after Helen.

--

I can see good old Difeo has changed tac and wasn't talking about games played but talking of minutes played not forgetting that players like aguero and silva are likely to be substituted instead of players like cazorla and coquelin and kompany.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wonder if Shaqiri's injury may mean Hughes goes with Walters this weekend. He could certainly ruffle a few feathers in your back-line, you'd expect.

Arnautovic linked up with him so well the other night, too. That ball for Walters' goal was placed on an absolute sixpence.

Latest