The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hugsy
I am at the same stage and have been for months now. The only correspondence I have received from Cam was an e-mail letting me know that my app was on hold so I assume I will be waiting for a while longer. My feeling is that they give out a majority of the offers in March/April

The problem is I didn't even receive an email, and I applied in Oct. I emailed them and they said one of the admission officer got my application and still hasn't made the decision.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 961
Original post by neverbegin
The problem is I didn't even receive an email, and I applied in Oct. I emailed them and they said one of the admission officer got my application and still hasn't made the decision.

Hmm that is odd, I am quite confused as to how this whole process works within the department tbh. What is your profile if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 962

My situation is identical to yours. I assume it is as SJ said and we have to wait for all applications to be reviewed. Perhaps the admission officers with our applications haven't told graduate admissions that we are being put on hold.
Reply 963
Original post by econuggets
My situation is identical to yours. I assume it is as SJ said and we have to wait for all applications to be reviewed. Perhaps the admission officers with our applications haven't told graduate admissions that we are being put on hold.

Mmm thats what I was thinking actually, just a case of admin rather than anything else..
Original post by hugsy
Hmm that is odd, I am quite confused as to how this whole process works within the department tbh. What is your profile if you don't mind me asking?

Top 5 UK uni,
Economics 80% above for both years
How about you?
Original post by legaleagle26
I have been watching this thread for some time and am absolutely delighted to post that I have just received an offer to study for an MPhil in Criminology! Absolutely delighted!! 🎉😃🎉

Just in case, anyone is interested, my timescale was -

4 Dec: Application submitted
8 Dec: Under consideration by dept
6 Jan: BoGs
8 Jan: Offer!!

I have applied for the Mphil Criminological Research. Submitted my application in the middle of December. Been on "Awaiting approval from BoGS" for 6 days now!
Wow this has been super quick! Went to BoGS Tuesday, offer yesterday and today got accepted into my first choice college Fitzwilliam. Very happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ggggg123
My application has been sitting at the "awaiting consideration" stage for over a month now. Do you guys think it's worth emailing to check everything is ok or is it probably a case of not updating my camsis? This is for the MPhil in IR & Pols.

I'm gonna tear my hair out waiting!!

Maybe they wait until applications have closed before considering anyone. Some departments do that.
Reply 968
Nah I don't think so, there are a couple of people in this thread who've had offers for the same course :smile:

That's true, but our offers came at very different times. I think POLIS might just take a while and have no real timeframe for applicants.
My application has been sitting at the "awaiting consideration" stage for over a month now. Do you guys think it's worth emailing to check everything is ok or is it probably a case of not updating my camsis? This is for the MPhil in IR & Pols.

I applied for an MPhil in the same department and was 'awaiting consideration' for over a month, and have now been 'under consideration' for over two months. It seems that they are waiting to evaluate the cohort of applicants as a whole before giving out many decisions (for those of us who maybe aren't absolutely outstanding applicants, but not too bad either, that is). I agree with you about waiting!
(edited 8 years ago)

This is probably the answer you don't want to hear, and something that I'm finding quite challenging to make peace with, but we just have to be patient.

Though the wait is painful, we aren't our prospective department's only concern.

There are so many people applying at different times, not to mention cohorts of applicants for PhD, Masters and Undergraduate. Throw in the responsibilities associated with the existing student body and research commitments.. well, you can see why the wait is so varied and almost always long. Oxbridge must have one of the largest volume of applicants (and therefore a huge administrative burden) and it's really competitive. We should be glad that the process is one of careful deliberation.

Though there are average turnover times for application decisions, they are not prescriptive and we shouldn't feel entitled. I think emailing to ask will probably generate a "we don't know, you will have to wait" kind of response, since the process is largely dependant on academics, as opposed to the administrators who would be replying to your email.

The hard truth is that it is out of our control; we can only wait and hope.

If it is any consolation, I'm also losing my mind waiting. I just want it to be over! I applied on the 4th November, and others have been waiting longer. Half of December doesn't even count towards the wait because of Christmas! Sigh.
Original post by Impune
Oh, nice. Do you have an idea of what modules you'd like to take yet? I'm thinking International Relations Theory, International Security, and International Organization.

I applied for basically everything. Haha. But yes, the Trust was amongst them. Haven't heard anything yet, but I think that's normal -- I don't even think the funding application deadline has passed yet.

I looked at a couple of the modules. Right now I've been considering the ones on European politics, but I certainly could go for some theory as well.

Do you think you would still go without the funding? I don't think I could convince myself to give up the opportunity to study at Cambridge.

Remember that the department has to match you with a thesis supervisor first, so it may just be that your intended supervisor is still deliberating who (s)he is going to take on next year.

I wouldn't assume that just because it's taking longer for your application to be processed it is any less competitive than the rest.
Reply 973
Original post by richarsl
Do you think you would still go without the funding? I don't think I could convince myself to give up the opportunity to study at Cambridge.

Not a chance. As much as I'd love to, I wouldn't be able to take out the loans or self-finance it fully. Unless I get significant (50%+) funding, it's a dream I'll just have to let slip away. Which is unfortunate, because Cambridge has always been my dream school.
Reply 974
Oh that's an interesting point. I had assumed it would be the other way around with the MPhil - accept an applicant, find a supervisor.

No. POLIS specifically will not take on a student if they cannot allocate him/her a supervisor. This is part of the reason you are asked to submit a research proposal as part of the application.
Top 5 UK uni,
Economics 80% above for both years
How about you?

Your academic merits are amazing, i seriously think you stand for a great chance to get onto the programme. My status has also been under consideration by Degree Committee for 3 months, though i applied for diploma in economics. My grade is a shame compare to yours, i scored 78 and 72 in the first two years.. I am doing a finance course at cass business school, it is very difficult for any student at cass to achieve more than 80 because there are less mathamatical components compare to a economic course, but my result for two economic modules are top 10 and top 5 in my class... I just hope my grade will not drag me back,
Oh that's an interesting point. I had assumed it would be the other way around with the MPhil - accept an applicant, find a supervisor.

Even if a student is spectacular, the student needs to be accepted by a supervisor in order to be offered a place. It makes sense when you consider the nature of the M.Phil degree (heavy research component).
Interview in just over an hour. My insides hurt. *sobs*
Original post by omgwhat
Interview in just over an hour. My insides hurt. *sobs*

Please do come back and let us know how it goes! Fingers crossed you'll get it :smile:
Yeah totally.

(Although I was surprised to learn the other day that the diss is only 20-25k incl footnotes!! I had thought it would be at least 30k tbh)

Absolutely! Especially if you have a lot to discuss :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest