The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samir12
Think Sturridge is just incapable of doing consequtive training sessions without having problems.

I guess this period will probably impact what lies for Sturridge's future. Hoping that they can work out what it is and build up his core fitness/strength..

We're not going to find a player of Sturridge's quality (without the injury problems) for less than 50mil to be honest.
Just some final bits from Jurgen Klopp. The German was asked to respond to newspaper reports that a deal had been agreed to sign defender Joel Matip from Schalke.

"In this moment there is nothing to say about it. When something is fixed I will speak about it," said Klopp.

Didn't deny interest then..
The Guardian reporting that we're monitoring Iñaki Williams from Bilbao. £20m asking price, apparently.
Thought we already got Matip on a free done and dusted? Hope we have or at least start caulker vs united instead of sakho/toure. Both were appalling against Arsenal, althought I'm not sure if it was their or Moreno's fault just letting players run past you every attack.
Original post by Zerforax
In 2014 Liverpool spent a Luis Suárez-sized £75m on Mario Balotelli, Divock Origi, Dejan Lovren, Lazar Markovic and Emre Can. Which is certainly a very expensive way of buying Emre Can.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jan/14/tottenham-gareth-bale-money-real-madrid-manchester-united-liverpool

Shots! *ouch*

Origi and Markovic (possibly even Lovren) could still come good though, which means Ronay is doing the same thing as everyone was doing for Spurs.
Original post by Mackay
The Guardian reporting that we're monitoring Iñaki Williams from Bilbao. £20m asking price, apparently.

Know anything about him?

Original post by jshep000
Thought we already got Matip on a free done and dusted? Hope we have or at least start caulker vs united instead of sakho/toure. Both were appalling against Arsenal, althought I'm not sure if it was their or Moreno's fault just letting players run past you every attack.

Not been officially confirmed anywhere so far.

Maybe we start Caulker to stop Fellani?

Original post by difeo
Origi and Markovic (possibly even Lovren) could still come good though, which means Ronay is doing the same thing as everyone was doing for Spurs.

Yea agree. Spurs seem to have done pretty well re-investing the Bale money even if the first set of transfer didn't work out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35313650

2nd most days missed from injury.

I imagine our figures will continue to look bad with Gomez and Ings out for the season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Know anything about him?

I know that Bilbao have been looking to secure him on a longer contract, but my watching of La Liga doesn't usually extend beyond the big three and Valencia, to be honest.

He's obviously Basque born, and only 21 years old. A quick look at the stats:

2014–15 3 goals in 25 appearances.
2015–16 10 goals in 21 appearances.
I guess this period will probably impact what lies for Sturridge's future. Hoping that they can work out what it is and build up his core fitness/strength..

We're not going to find a player of Sturridge's quality (without the injury problems) for less than 50mil to be honest.

I see a lot of talk about 'his future' but who on earth is going to take Sturridge? He's on 150k per week, on a long term contract and Liverpool would demand at least £25m for him. Nobody is going to take the risk on the modern day Keiron Dyer/Darren Anderton/Owen Hargreaves.

I'm not disputing his quality but with that injury record nobody is going to go near him.
Original post by sr90
I see a lot of talk about 'his future' but who on earth is going to take Sturridge? He's on 150k per week, on a long term contract and Liverpool would demand at least £25m for him. Nobody is going to take the risk on the modern day Keiron Dyer/Darren Anderton/Owen Hargreaves.

I'm not disputing his quality but with that injury record nobody is going to go near him.

I don't think we'd be in any position to demand any kind of fee. Frankly I expect we'd have to loan him out and they cover as much of his wages as possible. If we're lucky, another team would pay 70-100k of his wages? Would then have to run down his contract over the next few years.
I don't think we'd be in any position to demand any kind of fee. Frankly I expect we'd have to loan him out and they cover as much of his wages as possible. If we're lucky, another team would pay 70-100k of his wages? Would then have to run down his contract over the next few years.

Even if he drops his wages by 50% you're looking at a very small number of clubs who would even consider him

Someone like West Ham who have a long track record of spending millions on sicknotes
Original post by sr90
Even if he drops his wages by 50% you're looking at a very small number of clubs who would even consider him

Someone like West Ham who have a long track record of spending millions on sicknotes

Considering how flush all the clubs will be, I think someone would happily risk 80k a week with no loan fee (potentially with an option to buy price?)
West Ham lost.
Palace lost.
Everton drew.
Stoke to play Arsenal.

A win takes us 7th and level with United on points.
A loss leaves us 8 points behind 4th placed Spurs. That's not an insurmountable gap but with the way they're playing, I'd begin to count us out of top 4.
Original post by Lúcio
West Ham lost.
Palace lost.
Everton drew.
Stoke to play Arsenal.

A win takes us 7th and level with United on points.
A loss leaves us 8 points behind 4th placed Spurs. That's not an insurmountable gap but with the way they're playing, I'd begin to count us out of top 4.

Yea imo we have to win tomorrow.. hoping the players don't feel that pressure though. Yea will be a good weekend for either Man Utd/Liverpool if they can win.
I have faith in Klopp when it comes to the big games, as we've seen already our top performances against City, Chelsea and Arsenal. The atmosphere tomorrow is gonna be mental. I have work tomorrow unfortunately and I'm not sure if I can resist looking at the score till I get home to watch the recorded game.
Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Henderson, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino.

Subs: Ward, Caulker, Smith, Allen, Teixeira, Ibe, Benteke.
Original post by mr tim
Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Henderson, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino.

Subs: Ward, Caulker, Smith, Allen, Teixeira, Ibe, Benteke.

Same team that faced Arsenal then?
Nice little flash point just then.
1-0 Rooney.
That's our top 4 hopes over then.
Obviously from a set piece.

Latest