The Student Room Group

can I go from a B in AS chemistry to an A at a2?

I got a B in as last year and I want to get an A this year. I've been told by my teacher that it's very hard....but it's only one grade up so it can't be too bad? I'm doing OCR A chemistry btw. And I got a C in f321 which I'm retaking. is it actually possible to go up one grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

You can definitely do it. You need to work really hard and go over the past papers many times until you start hitting As and A*s in the papers (actually carry on going over them until you get sick of them). Focus on the Questions you are getting wrong write them down along with the mark scheme answers. All the best :smile:
Original post by haj101
You can definitely do it. You need to work really hard and go over the past papers many times until you start hitting As and A*s in the papers (actually carry on going over them until you get sick of them). Focus on the Questions you are getting wrong write them down along with the mark scheme answers. All the best :smile:

thank you :smile: and do you think it's easier to go from an E to a B compared to a B to an A? I've been told that it is :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
thank you :smile: and do you think it's easier to go from an E to a B compared to a B to an A? I've been told that it is :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say its about as difficult to go from an E to a B compared to a B to an A
Reply 4
I went from a B at AS to an A at A2 chem with no retakes, you can do it

but more importantly, whats your ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could probably crunch the numbers and see how much UMS you need to get. putting what you think you'll get in your resit exam and seeing what you'd need for the A2 exams and just playing around with the numbers.
Original post by Neurosci
I would say its about as difficult to go from an E to a B compared to a B to an A

It really depends on how much you work you are willing to put in. I know people that have gone from B's to A*'s if they can do it so can we!
Original post by haj101
It really depends on how much you work you are willing to put in. I know people that have gone from B's to A*'s if they can do it so can we!

Oh yeah its definitely possible, I went from a U in my mock to an A but I found the final push from high C to A the hardest
I got a B in as last year and I want to get an A this year. I've been told by my teacher that it's very hard....but it's only one grade up so it can't be too bad? I'm doing OCR A chemistry btw. And I got a C in f321 which I'm retaking. is it actually possible to go up one grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it is. It's possible to go from a C to an A* with a little work. However, resits rarely cause a significant mark increase (apart from with maths sometimes), so it's probably worth doing loads of past papers and focussing on A2.

What was your UMS at AS?
I went from a B at AS to an A* at A2 with no retakes. So yes it's very possible.
Original post by limetang
I went from a B at AS to an A* at A2 with no retakes. So yes it's very possible.

how did you do that?
Reply 11
Original post by Cadherin
Of course it is. It's possible to go from a C to an A* with a little work. However, resits rarely cause a significant mark increase (apart from with maths sometimes), so it's probably worth doing loads of past papers and focussing on A2.

What was your UMS at AS?

Well I got an E at the end of A2 Chem. Now, In my gap year, I am studying for retakes, and have been getting A's/A*'s (having put a load of work in), so I would imagine you could do it.
Original post by Neurosci
Oh yeah its definitely possible, I went from a U in my mock to an A but I found the final push from high C to A the hardest

Well done!! Hard work pays off in the end :biggrin:
Original post by ilovecake123
how did you do that?

Well fortunately the score you need at A2 to get an A* is the same if your AS grade is between a B and full UMS.
Original post by Cadherin

What was your UMS at AS?

I got 118 ums on f322 when 120 was an A I think. basically 79%. and same for my course work it was 79%. F321 was a C I think it was 64/65% can't remember. I'm hoping to get a strong A this year in f321 to bring my overall AS grade to an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by limetang

wow that's awesome, congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yua
I went from a B at AS to an A at A2 chem with no retakes, you can do it

but more importantly, whats your ums

79% in f322 and f323 and 64/65% in f321 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeanFM
You could probably crunch the numbers and see how much UMS you need to get. putting what you think you'll get in your resit exam and seeing what you'd need for the A2 exams and just playing around with the numbers.

I'm still confused as to why specifically it is harder to go from B to an A than say E to an B :s or are they the same difficulty?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm still confused as to why specifically it is harder to go from B to an A than say E to an B :s or are they the same difficulty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Without meaning to sound blunt, I would say 'it doesn't matter - just do the best you can and don't worry about difficulty'.

But there's a lot more to answering that question.

Eg Why did the person get an E? Did they have extenuating circumstances? If not, has something drastically improved in how they study? Is the person someone who would cope with doing double the exams for that subject (including resits) as well as their other subjects?

Is the person with the B resitting anything? What stopped them from getting higher at AS? Do they understand what's required to do well enough at A2 to get an A or an A* overall?
Original post by SeanFM
Without meaning to sound blunt, I would say 'it doesn't matter - just do the best you can and don't worry about difficulty'.

But there's a lot more to answering that question.

Eg Why did the person get an E? Did they have extenuating circumstances? If not, has something drastically improved in how they study? Is the person someone who would cope with doing double the exams for that subject (including resits) as well as their other subjects?

Is the person with the B resitting anything? What stopped them from getting higher at AS? Do they understand what's required to do well enough at A2 to get an A or an A* overall?

hmm ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest