The Student Room Group

Imperial College medicine applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierose16
My bmat was 4.2 5.4 2.5B, do they take an average of the first two sections?

No sorry, they take it exactly as it is so 4.2 is going to be very close to the borderline
Original post by not you
No sorry, they take it exactly as it is so 4.2 is going to be very close to the borderline

Fair enough, just hoping I may scrape through to interview hahaha, damn you section 1
Fair enough, just hoping I may scrape through to interview hahaha, damn you section 1

They still have half of their interviews to give it yet so I wouldn't worry! The last people interviewed had 4.5 in both sections so hang in there I'm sure there's more to come
Original post by not you
Yeah I think you're right about better interviewees being the better applicants at Imperial, but a lot of the best interviewees are also the ones who got Oxbridge offers since they were very good at those interviews too.

You could well be right, but then not everyone who applied to imperial also went for Oxbridge :P
My bmat was 4.2 5.4 2.5B, do they take an average of the first two sections?

Unfortunately not... 4.2 might be just below the cut-off :frown:
Original post by phagocyte1998
Unfortunately not... 4.2 might be just below the cut-off :frown:

Agh... So irritating that 4.5 is probably only one mark higher than 4.2 as well :unimpressed::unimpressed:
Agh... So irritating that 4.5 is probably only one mark higher than 4.2 as well :unimpressed::unimpressed:

it is lol unfortunately

4.2 might well make it - cut-off last year was 4.3 and the distribution of scores is slightly lower this year.
Original post by Cadherin
4.2 might well make it - cut-off last year was 4.3 and the distribution of scores is slightly lower this year.

Do you think a 2 in section 3 will make the cut off? They still have half of the interviews left to give and the last people to get interviewed was 4.5 4.5 2.5B
Original post by ilovecake123
Do you think a 2 in section 3 will make the cut off? They still have half of the interviews left to give and the last people to get interviewed was 4.5 4.5 2.5B

I think (personally) cut offs will be:
S1: 4.2
S2: 4.3
S3: 2.2B (so 2.5)

But again, I'm just speculating based upon the mark distributions compared to last year. I got a 2A in S3, and doubt it'll make the cut off. There's always hope though. :smile:
Original post by Cadherin
I think (personally) cut offs will be:
S1: 4.2
S2: 4.3
S3: 2.2B (so 2.5)

But again, I'm just speculating based upon the mark distributions compared to last year. I got a 2A in S3, and doubt it'll make the cut off. There's always hope though. :smile:

same, i got 2B :frown: so annoying- and i got it remarked and it didn't change :frown:
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
You could well be right, but then not everyone who applied to imperial also went for Oxbridge :P

True, and I'm pretty sure most of their applicants didn't go for oxbridge either so I guess there's a lot of potential scholarships that will actually be firmed.

If you were to get an offer from oxbridge or an offer with that £3k scholarship from Imperial, which one would you take?
Original post by not you
True, and I'm pretty sure most of their applicants didn't go for oxbridge either so I guess there's a lot of potential scholarships that will actually be firmed.

If you were to get an offer from oxbridge or an offer with that £3k scholarship from Imperial, which one would you take?

I wouldn't need the scholarship to choose imperial 😂 I prefer London, the course, the fact it's not collegiate and the range of societies :P

Personally, I feel that unless your ultimate goal as a doctor is to become an academic/do research, then Oxbridge is not really superior for medicine. The lack of any clinical teaching in the first few years doesn't do well to prepare you when you eventually become an F1 (I would rather start early and take it slowly than do it all at the end when you might have forgotten aspects of your pre-clinical teaching). That's my personal opinion but I think specifically for medicine, Oxbridge is over-hyped, and I can't help but find it stupid when someone gets offers from other unis for medicine, but would reject them on the off-chance of getting Oxbridge offer the following year, as this makes it seem like you're more committed to the uni you study at than you are to the actual career!
How do you find the title for the essay for Scholarship?
Original post by Mathsbuzz
How do you find the title for the essay for Scholarship?

If you get nominated for a scholarship, they email you telling you the title of the essay I think :smile:
Any international applicants heard from them?
I wouldn't need the scholarship to choose imperial 😂 I prefer London, the course, the fact it's not collegiate and the range of societies :P

Personally, I feel that unless your ultimate goal as a doctor is to become an academic/do research, then Oxbridge is not really superior for medicine. The lack of any clinical teaching in the first few years doesn't do well to prepare you when you eventually become an F1 (I would rather start early and take it slowly than do it all at the end when you might have forgotten aspects of your pre-clinical teaching). That's my personal opinion but I think specifically for medicine, Oxbridge is over-hyped, and I can't help but find it stupid when someone gets offers from other unis for medicine, but would reject them on the off-chance of getting Oxbridge offer the following year, as this makes it seem like you're more committed to the uni you study at than you are to the actual career!

London is so expensive though, £100 just for me to get a train there and take the tube to Imperial, not including the £6.99 burger king whopper by itself with no drink/chips and the £3 cafe nero "coffee" at Euston station, RIP my bank account.

I don't think it's a good idea to reapply to Oxbridge for medicine, I mean you already gain a year with the 6 year course and taking a gap year will add on another year to that, so you could end up graduating 4 years after your school friends who got into 3 year courses. In fact, they could probably even fit a PhD in there and finish it by the time you graduate. Reapplying for a science though, if you realise medicine isn't for you, is probably worth it given that Oxbridge science courses will get you pretty far, but otherwise nah
Original post by not you
London is so expensive though, £100 just for me to get a train there and take the tube to Imperial, not including the £6.99 burger king whopper by itself with no drink/chips and the £3 cafe nero "coffee" at Euston station, RIP my bank account.

I don't think it's a good idea to reapply to Oxbridge for medicine, I mean you already gain a year with the 6 year course and taking a gap year will add on another year to that, so you could end up graduating 4 years after your school friends who got into 3 year courses. In fact, they could probably even fit a PhD in there and finish it by the time you graduate. Reapplying for a science though, if you realise medicine isn't for you, is probably worth it given that Oxbridge science courses will get you pretty far, but otherwise nah

I agree that London is ridiculously expensive, my eyes started watering at some of the prices of things, but student finance know that London is more expensive so you actually get more maintenance loan if you go to a London uni than you do if you went anywhere else.

Yeah I meant if you were reapplying just so you can get into Oxbridge for medicine, which is very silly :P
Apparently I re-read the email from Imperial again, they said interviews will be given out until the end of January, there's just two weeks left and there's been no news😂 apart from the fact that I'm intensely worried, my hopes are lifting high in the coming week😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree that London is ridiculously expensive, my eyes started watering at some of the prices of things, but student finance know that London is more expensive so you actually get more maintenance loan if you go to a London uni than you do if you went anywhere else.

Yeah I meant if you were reapplying just so you can get into Oxbridge for medicine, which is very silly :P

Well sadly, SAAS got rid of the London weighting for Scottish students a couple of years ago, so I'm going to end up dirt poor lmao
Imperial predict £11k in living costs the for first 4 years of medical school, and £14k for the last two... £72k in debt not including tuition fees :smile: Sorry Mr Hunt, what was that about a new junior doctor contract?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending