The Student Room Group

Girl taking off her headscarf

What do you think of girls that stop wearing a headscarf?
As someone that is not themselves Muslim what would you think? Would you say anything to her, like ask why she stopped? And would you find it weird if she wore it sometimes and didn't sometimes or would you not even notice?

Scroll to see replies

What is it with this absurd obsession with Muslims. It's like a fetish? Are you not bored, is your life really that plain?
Is it truly any of your business
Are you mentally ill? Jheeze
Reply 2
Original post by NutellaLuv
What is it with this absurd obsession with Muslims. It's like a fetish? Are you not bored, is your life really that plain?
Is it truly any of your business
Are you mentally ill? Jheeze

What's up your crack, Nutella?
Regular Muslims would leave her be. Islamists Muslims would attack her for her decision, whether verbally or physically. Non-muslims wouldn't care.
Reply 4
I would warmly congratulate her.

Girls who stop wearing the veil are brave.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think it would affect or bother me, I wouldn't even bother asking about it.
Reply 6
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Regular Muslims would leave her be. Islamists Muslims would attack her for her decision, whether verbally or physically. Non-muslims wouldn't care.

What is a 'regular muslim' and also that is not true. I don't think 'regular' muslims would leave her be. Some might, but not all. People would definitely bitch about the girl for a while and make accusations like oh look at her she's not religious anymore blah blah. This happened to one of my friends who decided to take off her scarf, eventually people got over it but they still bitched about it for ages and it was mainly the Muslims who carried on going on about it!
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think of girls that stop wearing a headscarf?
As someone that is not themselves Muslim what would you think? Would you say anything to her, like ask why she stopped? And would you find it weird if she wore it sometimes and didn't sometimes or would you not even notice?

I assume most non-Muslims wouldn't care. Some Muslims on the other hand - well, the judging, hypocritical and "I know all about Islam, you don't know anything" types - will fuss and bitch about it. It's your decision and only you should be able to decide.
Original post by Josb

The same way girls who choose to wear a veil are brave, confident and proud.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fire_and_ice
The same way girls who chose to wear veil are brave, confident and proud.

and conform.
It's just an extra piece of clothing

Like wearing a hat :s-smilie:
Original post by TunaTunnel
and conform.

The same way any believer would conform to their religion.
Reply 12
I'm Muslim but

I had a girl in my Geography class back in year 11 who'd been wearing it since the first day in year 8 and took it off right at the end of year 11 before we all broke off

She told me before she did it and I was like "oh... okay i don't really care I mean it's between you and God" and she took it off so no one said anything to her at school really, the teachers were obv like :O and really wanted to ask you can tell but they didn't X'D
it was awkward for the first week then everything carried on as normal

There's some girls in my school who only wear the scarf during Ramadan and again no one says anything.

But if you take it off why would you keep wearing it and taking it off just take it off or leave it on? I mean I'm just saying because THAT's when people start judging you, if you can't make your mind up. And obv people will notice if you'd been wearing it for a long time :tongue:
Reply 13
The same way any believer would conform to their religion.

There's no bravery in following a religion. Leaving it after having been brainwashed since birth is another matter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol, regular Muslims made me laugh.

Very brave to conform to the norms of your extremely judgemental and insular community
Reply 16
As a Muslim girl myself. (I don't wear the hijab.) I think it's unfair that others would judge you if you stopped wearing a scarf. It's just unnecessary. Personally I don't judge people for what they decide to wear. I hope things work out for you. X :smile:
Original post by Josb
There's no bravery in following a religion. Leaving it after having been brainwashed since birth is another matter.

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Very brave to conform to the norms of your extremely judgemental and insular community

That's beside the point. The point is that women who choose to wear a hijaab on the basis of their own free will are just as brave as women who chose to take it off.

You're right. Surely there can't be a sense of bravery in those who choose to follow a religion with absolute faith - and since we're speaking of Islam - at a time where they're placed in the limelight of media that constantly beats, degrades and dehumanises them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb

Neither group of women is necessarily brave.

A girl could take off the veil due to fear of discrimination. Is that 'brave'?

A girl could wear the veil due to pressure from her community. Is that 'brave'?
Don't really care. It's like if a Jewish woman stopped wearing the wig/headscarf the very religious wear after marriage. Literally wouldn't care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending