The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MahuduElec
We'll it depends on where you're travelling from, the journeys from the north are exhausting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could only imagine

Im from London, <2hour journey for Southampton.
<1 Hour for Imperial
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Formless
I could only imagine

Im from London, <2hour journey for Southampton.
<1 Hour for Imperial

Oh, yh in that case deffo go for 2nd. I say that cause if I was in your position id rather get them over and done with, instead of dragging them on for a week.

I heard the Southampton 'interviews' are very informal and last about 10 mins. I think its just for you to ask any questions. So not great practice for imperial haha.

GL with imperial, when I went I couldn't get over how nice exhibition road looked during the festive season haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, yh in that case deffo go for 2nd. I say that cause if I was in your position id rather get them over and done with, instead of dragging them on for a week.

I heard the Southampton 'interviews' are very informal and last about 10 mins. I think its just for you to ask any questions. So not great practice for imperial haha.

GL with imperial, when I went I couldn't get over how nice exhibition road looked during the festive season haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly id rather get them over and done with, i would be in school at those hour anyway so its not like i'm wasting any time that could be used to imperial prep. It'd shame not to meet you there though :biggrin:.

Yeah true i guess, but it would be my first interview, so rather screw up in an informal one aha.

Cheers man, the nerves are ever so slowly kicking in. Exhibition road is beautiful, jealous that you were able to see it during festive season. Glad my mocks will be over before i dread the post-interview feels. Be sure to be refreshing religiously at 22:01 man, all the best.
Original post by Formless
Yeah exactly id rather get them over and done with, i would be in school at those hour anyway so its not like i'm wasting any time that could be used to imperial prep. It'd shame not to meet you there though :biggrin:.

Yeah true i guess, but it would be my first interview, so rather screw up in an informal one aha.

Cheers man, the nerves are ever so slowly kicking in. Exhibition road is beautiful, jealous that you were able to see it during festive season. Glad my mocks will be over before i dread the post-interview feels. Be sure to be refreshing religiously at 22:01 man, all the best.

Lmaoo that's literally my life, the 22:01 refresh. Shame we won't meet but all the best to you to.
Original post by scrlk
I was lucky enough to spend a few days at a hedge fund (back office side), pretty much everyone in the front/back office had a 1st class STEM degree from top unis. Certainly a lot of money in finance, although the hours and the pressure is extremely high.

Engineering jobs in the UK are going through a rough time at the moment, manufacturing sector is getting hit by the unease in the global economy at the moment. ("Worldwide economic risks threaten UK manufacturing, with a third of companies considering 'across the board' cuts":wink:.

That article shows that due to the majority of people going into the services sector the manufacturing sector is suffering. It doesn't relate to number of engineering majors getting cut from jobs. On the contrary however if engineering majors actually go into the primary sector it is more likely to sustain that side of the economy in the long run.

Wherever you go, jobs for engineers in engineering firms are never in shortage.
Reply 345
Decided to firm Southampton in the end for Electrical Engineering. Any one else done the same?
Original post by scrlk
Decided to firm Southampton in the end for Electrical Engineering. Any one else done the same?

May I ask what your other offers were? I'm defo firming or insuring Southampton if i get an offer after the visit day
Reply 347
May I ask what your other offers were? I'm defo firming or insuring Southampton if i get an offer after the visit day

No problem, my other offers were Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and Loughborough.
Original post by scrlk
No problem, my other offers were Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and Loughborough.

Yh no offence to those unis, but I'd have also firmed Southampton by now as well, think it's just so good. :biggrin: You get the standard A*AA offer?

I might join you in Southampton, its either that or imperial for me
Reply 349
Yh no offence to those unis, but I'd have also firmed Southampton by now as well, think it's just so good. :biggrin: You get the standard A*AA offer?

I might join you in Southampton, its either that or imperial for me

BEng Electrical Engineering, AAB. :smile:
Original post by scrlk

Oh, nice! I guess MEng isn't for everyone
Can any electrical engineering graduates or students tell me what the workload is like and how hard is it to obtain a 2:1.
Im going to an interview at university of liverpool tomorrow and leeds on the 27th of january so i want to have a feel of what the experience is going to be like
Original post by scrlk

HI GUYS,
I have applied for Cardiff, Bristol, Loughborough, york and Brunel
however only received offers from Loughborogh, york, and Brunel
Which uni is the best out of all 5 or the 3 that i have offers on.
Please any comments would be helpful thanks.
Original post by scrlk

Southampton here too :h: MEng Electronic Engineering... A*AA... ouch
Applied first week dec. Predicted grads of A*AA. No response from Southampton yet. Am i rejected?

Got invite today. Well chuffed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Would the uni automatically reject you if you miss their entry requirements by 1 or 2 grades?
Original post by ChromeBlue7
Would the uni automatically reject you if you miss their entry requirements by 1 or 2 grades?

Not necessarily. That's the 'standard offer' more than the set entry requirements. So there's still a chance :h:
Reply 357
Original post by dream_big
HI GUYS,
I have applied for Cardiff, Bristol, Loughborough, york and Brunel
however only received offers from Loughborogh, york, and Brunel
Which uni is the best out of all 5 or the 3 that i have offers on.
Please any comments would be helpful thanks.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Which ones have you visited & liked? When I visited 3 of the 5 unis I applied to I got a really good 'feel' if I wanted to go there or not.

Oh, nice! I guess MEng isn't for everyone
Hopefully I'll have the flexibility of switching to MEng if I want to. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrlk
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Which ones have you visited & liked? When I visited 3 of the 5 unis I applied to I got a really good 'feel' if I wanted to go there or not.

Hopefully I'll have the flexibility of switching to MEng if I want to. :smile:

hmm I went to York and but yet to go to others
Original post by ChromeBlue7

1 grade, even chance of getting rejected automatically. 2 grades likely so.

Quick Reply

Latest