The Student Room Group

700,000 men a year are victims of domestic abuse.

Scroll to see replies

Anger issues/violence is not gender specific. Females have much more to gain by making their abuse public knowledge. It's a serious issue with either gender, I also suffered at the hands of a psychotic girl. Lucky for me I was not stupid or angry enough to hit her back. Got to the point she threatened to hurt herself after threatening me, biting me, scratching my face. None of this effected me and it annoyed the hell out of her. I knew I could not nor even wanted to do anything back to her. She had issues.

After she went through my emails and sent a bunch of insane stuff to people. I packed up and left, and got £5k out of her with a defamation suit which her father ended up having to pay due to his public facing career/image in jeopardy. Bottom line is play your cards right, even if you are a big guy you can't win all your battles with your strength.
Reply 61
Original post by jamestg
Nope. Only around 37% of types of domestic abuse are actually physical - the rest being emotional, financial, neglect and discriminatory abuse. So really the implications are just stereotypes.

I know the data is from a small part of the country, but I doubt overall in the country (and even the world) the amount of physical abuse will be more than 50%. It's unlikely for data to be out by 13% IMO.

Yes, of course. I know this, you know this and I'm sure OP knows this too.

My point was that by using that specific example I think OP intended to portray a country of 700,000 men being physically abused by female partners. Of course he will now say he did no such thing and merely went on to focus on a specific subsection of those 700,000... :wink:
Reply 62
Original post by offhegoes
We don't like people misusing statistics regurgitated by the media involving the suffering of others purely to push an agenda.

Yes you so often question the statistics don't you, only on this article others you agree with the statistics no matter what.
Reply 63
Original post by joecphillips
Yes you so often question the statistics don't you, only on this article others you agree with the statistics no matter what.

I'm very often sceptical of statistics people use, especially when they are published or quoted by those with an agenda and those who benefit from the figures. I don't stop and question every statistics I see, mostly because I don't have time to. But I'd love to have the time to. Statistics is a strong interest of mine and formed a significant part of my degree.
Original post by Bornblue
Feminism is a women's' movement. It focuses on women's issues. Men's movements should focus on such issues but unfortunately there is no coherent mens issues movement as the current MRA seem to be almost entirely comprised of raidically right wing anti-feminists pretending they care about men's issues.

And the feminist movement isn't just about 'equality' it's about campaigning on and trying to help issues which effect women, whether that is something like Breast Cancer or the reasons women go into prostitution among others.

I don't think feminism makes out women can never be the perpetrators, of course they can. I'm a feminist and of course admit and condemn any abuse by women, like I do any abuse by men.

I don't see any contradiction at all between being a feminist and supporting real issues than effect men. Unfortunately it seems like its the MRA lot who does.

The biggest problem, as I see it, with feminism is that there's no consistent direction. Some feminists say it's a movement for equality and others say it's about women's issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
The biggest problem, as I see it, with feminism is that there's no consistent direction. Some feminists say it's a movement for equality and others say it's about women's issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine. It's a broad movement with different groups within that.
I'm more of a women's issues type feminist rather than mere 'equality'.
Things such as prostitution and female genital mutilation for example are not to do with equality but are very important.
Original post by driftawaay
rofl

you arent good at trolling at all, soz

Don't worry; you've been reported for your disgusting behaviour so at least you've got the attention you were craving.
Original post by balanced
Grow up with your misandry.

She's a lesbian, of course she hates men.
It's just wrong that men that have suffered aren't treated the same way as women that have suffered. And I'm quite surprised by the male audience thinking this is something to laugh at, because this can happen to anyone. Domestic abuse can go for BOTH GENDERS, same goes for rape, molestation, etc.

The ways that female abusers control their victims is more psychological and verbal, rather than physical (although there's always a chance of that happening too). So don't always assume domestic abuse is strictly physical. Not only that, but like females, males will go back to their abuser if they feel that they've changed, as they're so attached and their abuser is the only person they can go to (as they would have cut ties with their other relationships; through the psychological abuse the female would have put on the male, in order to put the female as their main attention).
That's fine. It's a broad movement with different groups within that.
I'm more of a women's issues type feminist rather than mere 'equality'.
Things such as prostitution and female genital mutilation for example are not to do with equality but are very important.

It can't be both

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can't be both

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it can. The overall theme is women's issues, equality is just part of that.
Of course it can. The overall theme is women's issues, equality is just part of that.

They're too different to reasonably be the same group. The real problem is that no one seems to be able to decide what feminism really is

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're too different to reasonably be the same group. The real problem is that no one seems to be able to decide what feminism really is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah. Equality is just one of the issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nadiiiaax
It's just wrong that men that have suffered aren't treated the same way as women that have suffered. And I'm quite surprised by the male audience thinking this is something to laugh at, because this can happen to anyone. Domestic abuse can go for BOTH GENDERS, same goes for rape, molestation, etc.

The ways that female abusers control their victims is more psychological and verbal, rather than physical (although there's always a chance of that happening too). So don't always assume domestic abuse is strictly physical. Not only that, but like females, males will go back to their abuser if they feel that they've changed, as they're so attached and their abuser is the only person they can go to (as they would have cut ties with their other relationships; through the psychological abuse the female would have put on the male, in order to put the female as their main attention).

Absolutely which its why it is pathetic that the OP made it about feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely which its why it is pathetic that the OP made it about feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really, when did he? I didn't notice.
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
I am one of those men. I can sympathise with their plight. I get beaten up very regularly by my violent girlfriend.

:hugs:

hey you are safe here dude :yep:
Original post by the bear
:hugs:

hey you are safe here dude :yep:

Aww thanks buddy :love::flower2:
Original post by Nadiiiaax
Oh really, when did he? I didn't notice.

He said something like 'this is a really bad day for feminists'.
I don't understand why most of the commenters are being so militant towards the OP. They never made any attempt to detract from the fact that women are the main victims of domestic abuse, they simply stated that a large number of men also suffer from it and aren't taken seriously, and judging by the comments in this thread, they've been proven completely right on that count. As for people detracting from this issue acting as if it is purely a women's issue, I truly hope you people don't identify as feminist, because the definition of feminism is based on equality, which yes does often mean women's rights, but is not confined to them, therefore any true feminist would be equally outraged by the flipside of men being afraid to report it out of fear of a counter-accusation.

As for the comments telling men to "man up", they should remember that women are capable of hurting men, and that there is a major stigma which prevents men from defending themselves in these situations, meaning most of the time they just have to take it. Not to mention the fact that mental abuse (such as the type mentioned in the article) is far more common in abuse cases (of both genders) than the physical kind. The OP was simply trying to raise awareness of the fact that male domestic abuse (also) exists and is not a joke. Frankly the people joking about it or claiming men shouldn't be allowed to talk about it are a disgrace.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Evil Genius
If you're a man getting beat up regularly by your women then lol. Maybe these 700,000 females are cagefighting world champions but I doubt it haha.

Grow up and join the 21st century. Whilst female to male physical abuse is certainly not in the levels of male to female it is still a very real thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending