The Student Room Group

Should I take my Cambridge offer?

I understand this has been asked before but I need some more advice...

I've got an offer for Maths, with A*s in Further and Physics/Chemistry, and an A in maths, as well as 1 and S in STEP II and III. I've got no idea what to do because I have the offer I wanted from Bath which is of course much easier, and I'm not sure if I would even prefer going to Cambridge or not. It's been my dream for years but in some aspects Bath just wins it for me. Then again I would be crazy to reject this offer because the class of Cambridge is just so incomparable with any other (especially Oxford)...

No idea what to do - I have all 5 offers but can't make a decision. I was going for Bath up until yesterday and people keep telling me it's silly to reject Cambridge and part of me agrees. It'll be an achievement that would serve me well for my whole career, but it's not like Bath is that much behind - it's 7th and 5th respectively for Maths and physics, and the graduate prospects aren't much different.

Another worry is that the STEP papers can be very challenging... I have always done very well in papers of these styles like the BMOs, except in the most reccent BMO1 I came out of it feeling quite positive that I'd got 20-30 marks based on the answers online, but I only scored 6, suggesting my technique isn't very good.

I've already got an A* for Maths ( which is why they only asked for an A in it I guess) and the Further maths A* should be straightforward, but I only got 88% in Physics and Chemistry at AS so 90% this year will be a challenge.

Anyone care to share any pearls of wisdom???

At this point anything is appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBride
Bath is a good uni, obviously Cambridge is world renowned but remember that it's not just about reputation; for example Bath probably has more of a laid back atmosphere which might help you to enjoy your degree more, and therefore do better in it.

Cambridge have given you a really high offer but if Bath is significantly lower then you could always put it as insurance, you can always have a demanding firm choice with insurance as back up.

I don't think you'd be crazy to reject Cambridge given that Bath is a decent uni, however I also think that you could firm Cambridge and put Bath as insurance.
Sorry if this is really unhelpful but at the end of the day you need to pick the uni that you will thrive most at.

It's reassuring that you've suggested the same thing that I'm starting to consider myself and that lot's of student roomers seem to suggest for people in my situation - Firm Cam and Insurance Bath. This is a very sensible decision but I see 3 problems with it that are holding me back.

1) This is quite shallow/pathetic of me, but there's a high chance I won't get into Cambridge and I would feel gutted if I put in all the hard work for the next 5 months to have it come to nothing. Also, the sense of failure is something I'd rather do without. I'd rather reject me than vice versa.

2) Secondly there's the chance that I don't make the A*AA. This shouldn't happen, but if it does, and my insurance is that offer, then I'll have to wade through a swamp of clearing, where as I could put Bath as the firm and Southampton (AAA) as my insurance - a safer choice.

3) Finally, even if I do make the offer for Cambridge, by August it may be that I'd prefer to go to Bath even with the complete success of my Cam application, and I think it's the case that if I meet my firm's offer, I don't have the choice to go to my insurance.
Original post by Simonium1010

I've got an offer for Maths, with A*s in Further and Physics/Chemistry, and an A in maths, as well as 1 and S in STEP II and III. I've got no idea what to do because I have the offer I wanted from Bath which is of course much easier, and I'm not sure if I would even prefer going to Cambridge or not. It's been my dream for years but in some aspects Bath just wins it for me. Then again I would be crazy to reject this offer because the class of Cambridge is just so incomparable with any other (especially Oxford)...

No idea what to do - I have all 5 offers but can't make a decision. I was going for Bath up until yesterday and people keep telling me it's silly to reject Cambridge and part of me agrees. It'll be an achievement that would serve me well for my whole career, but it's not like Bath is that much behind - it's 7th and 5th respectively for Maths and physics, and the graduate prospects aren't much different.

Another worry is that the STEP papers can be very challenging... I have always done very well in papers of these styles like the BMOs, except in the most reccent BMO1 I came out of it feeling quite positive that I'd got 20-30 marks based on the answers online, but I only scored 6, suggesting my technique isn't very good.

I've already got an A* for Maths ( which is why they only asked for an A in it I guess) and the Further maths A* should be straightforward, but I only got 88% in Physics and Chemistry at AS so 90% this year will be a challenge.

hmmm cambridge seem to be giving out a lot of s 1 offers this year it is not just me then...
same here about bmo... i thought i got like mid 30s in marks but they gave me 26 which was super disappointing. I expected nice marks for all the even numbered questions but question 2 let me down :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by imsoanonymous123
hmmm cambridge seem to be giving out a lot of s 1 offers this year it is not just me then...
same here about bmo... i thought i got like mid 30s in marks but they gave me 26 which was super disappointing. I expected nice marks for all the even numbered questions but question 2 let me down :frown:

So stop with paranoia lol.
Original post by Nununu
So stop with paranoia lol.

yh im very lucky to get an offer in the first place... from my interview performance on the day tbh I shouldnt have been given one so idk why i moaned so much xD
I got an offer from Oxford for chemistry and its never been question if I'll firm it... why did you apply in first place if you're not sure about it? I think you should firm Cambridge; its one of the best unis in the world, you'll only benefit from it, and it could give you a brighter future. Bath is a good uni but quite below Cambridge. If you insure Bath and you get AAA theres a great chance they'll still take you.
I had a Pharmacy offer from Bath for AAB (no A* back then... I'm old) and put it as top choice. I put my lowest offer of BBB as insurance. Ended up with my insurance choice after results day and headed off to Liverpool John Moores University which I really hadn't given much thought at all... I only put it as insurance due to it being the lowest offer.
Fast forward 8 years and I'm still here, proud and happy to be in this city, working, living with my partner who's from down the road. I wouldn't change a thing.
Not necessarily 100% relelvent or even helpful for you but what I'm trying to say is, wherever you end up you'll probably be happy! Especially with those two good unis to choose from. I've got some good friends who went to uni in Bath and loved it (and stayed there after), it's a beautiful place. I also know a guy (engineer) who went to Cambridge and now has a great job and thoroughly enjoyed his time at uni. Might not help in your decision, but it hopefully reassures you!
Original post by TheBride
1) I totally get where you're coming from, and it's not silly because for some people the sense of "failure" could actually hang over them for a while

2) A*AA is still quite a high offer, though you sound very capable, but yeah you probably want to avoid clearing

3) Yes you are correct

Not to be blunt, but if you're finding lots of reasons that you'd rather firm Bath and aren't "in love" with Cambridge like many applicants then maybe you should trust your gut and firm Bath?
:smile:

Original post by lawlieto
I got an offer from Oxford for chemistry and its never been question if I'll firm it... why did you apply in first place if you're not sure about it? I think you should firm Cambridge; its one of the best unis in the world, you'll only benefit from it, and it could give you a brighter future. Bath is a good uni but quite below Cambridge. If you insure Bath and you get AAA theres a great chance they'll still take you.

Yes this is all very true, and I must point out that I am pretty hyped about going to Cambridge - I applied because at the time, i.e. from when I was 16 to when I went for my Cambridge interview, I thought yeah I'll go to Bath that'll be great, but imagine if I could apply for Cambridge and actually get an interview and all that - that would be just insane. And I still think that going there would be a dream come true, but I've gotta realise that even with lots of hard work I've still got around a 50% chance of not getting it.
It's a good point that I could still get taken by Bath if I don't make the offer. With that in mind, would there be any chance of Cambridge taking me if i don't meet their offer? For example, getting the A*A*A* that I need, but getting 1,1 instead of 1,S - any chance I'd still get accepted?
Honestly the whole 'If I put them as my firm I would HAVE to go their' thing isn't really a main concern, because if I'm honest most of my hesitance is towards being able to make the offer so if I did make it there'd be nothing holding me back and then I would be 100% up for it.
Original post by PharmaGiles
I had a Pharmacy offer from Bath for AAB (no A* back then... I'm old) and put it as top choice. I put my lowest offer of BBB as insurance. Ended up with my insurance choice after results day and headed off to Liverpool John Moores University which I really hadn't given much thought at all... I only put it as insurance due to it being the lowest offer.
Fast forward 8 years and I'm still here, proud and happy to be in this city, working, living with my partner who's from down the road. I wouldn't change a thing.
Not necessarily 100% relelvent or even helpful for you but what I'm trying to say is, wherever you end up you'll probably be happy! Especially with those two good unis to choose from. I've got some good friends who went to uni in Bath and loved it (and stayed there after), it's a beautiful place. I also know a guy (engineer) who went to Cambridge and now has a great job and thoroughly enjoyed his time at uni. Might not help in your decision, but it hopefully reassures you!

With your knowledge of people that have come out of both, would you say there's a lot of credence to the statement that going to Cambridge will improve my chances of getting the job I want in the future, especially if it's somewhere abroad like the US - wouldn't they be much more inclined to hire an alumnus of Cambridge, when they might not have heard of the University of Bath?

Stage 1:
Forget what others say.
Forget the public perception of difference in prestiges between the two unis.
Give up on the idea of trying to avoid the sense of failure. In your long life in the future, there bound to be at least once (or more likely more than once) you'll utterly feel you're a failure. You can't keep on avoiding doing things because you're worried you might fail.

These above will put you on a blank sheet, to start with, then......

Stage 2:
Have a look at both universities very carefully and thoroughly and compare the differences; the course contents, style of teaching (like supervisions at Cambridge), atmosphere of uni/town if these are important factors for you to decide, etc. etc.

Firm Cambridge ONLY if you think you want to go to Cambridge as least as much as Bath after these consideration.

If your heart says Bath is the right uni for you than Cambridge after considering these, I think you should decline Cambridge offer and firm Bath and insure Southampton to make sure you won't end up in the clearing.
Cambridge gives out twice as many offers to maths applicants than they actually have places for because half the maths offer holders fail the STEP and miss their condition. If you really think you're more likely to be among the unfortunate half and you genuinely prefer Bath, there's no point choosing Cambridge for something you may not get anyway and your heart is not in it.
Reply 10
Original post by imsoanonymous123
yh im very lucky to get an offer in the first place... from my interview performance on the day tbh I shouldnt have been given one so idk why i moaned so much xD

It's OK to moan. Remember Imperial is just as good for Maths. You will be just as succssful, as it really is down to you.
With your knowledge of people that have come out of both, would you say there's a lot of credence to the statement that going to Cambridge will improve my chances of getting the job I want in the future, especially if it's somewhere abroad like the US - wouldn't they be much more inclined to hire an alumnus of Cambridge, when they might not have heard of the University of Bath?

Difficult to say... I don't know anything about your course or the jobs that would follow. Also the people I know did very different things. In Bath, one is now a professional musician living and working in Bath after a music degree... obviously individual talent is important there and they'd be self employed. The other person I know did biochem and is now on a masters course there. So I guess that means that they enjoyed it and did well enough to be accepted onto a scientific masters course which I gather can be very competitive! As for the guy who went to Cambridge, he did engineering which I suppose is (or was) a very "up and coming" area. He went and worked for an oil company in the middle east for very good money. No doubt helped by the fact that he went to an internationally renowned university. That said, he's one of the most intelligent people I've ever met.

Internationally I suppose there may be bias towards the famous universities... so if you really want to work abroad in your field then maybe Cambridge is the better option. I could be totally wrong though.
I hope you realise that Cambridge maths is known for being pretty much one of the most difficult maths courses in the world. Only the most intelligent and committed people can come,the a degree in maths at Cambridge. My guess is that the course at bath will be easier and you are likely to come out of it with a first class degree while this is harder to get at Cambridge. If you doubt your ability to get A*A*A at a level then maybe Cambridge isn't for you. But don't take my word for it, I have never been to Cambridge although I know a lot pf people who have and have said that its maths course is extremely challenging.
Original post by vincrows
Stage 1:
Forget what others say.
Give up on the idea of trying to avoid the sense of failure. In your long life in the future, there bound to be at least once (or more likely more than once) you'll utterly feel you're a failure. You can't keep on avoiding doing things because you're worried you might fail.

Stage 2:
Have a look at both universities very carefully and thoroughly and compare the differences; the course contents, style of teaching (like supervisions at Cambridge), atmosphere of uni/town if these are important factors for you to decide, etc. etc.

Firm Cambridge ONLY if you think you want to go to Cambridge as least as much as Bath after these consideration.

If your heart says Bath is the right uni for you than Cambridge after considering these, I think you should decline Cambridge offer and firm Bath and insure Southampton to make sure you won't end up in the clearing.
Cambridge gives out twice as many offers to maths applicants than they actually have places for because half the maths offer holders fail the STEP and miss their condition. If you really think you're more likely to be among the unfortunate half and you genuinely prefer Bath, there's no point choosing Cambridge for something you may not get anyway and your heart is not in it.

Stage 1 is smart and understandable, that I can manage. I don't think I can say that Cambridge is a stronger favourite, but rather that they are on par - they each have aspects that make them seem the better choice and I'd say they are about even for me.
That's the thing - so many people fail the 1,1 STEP offer, S,1 seems near impossible!
Original post by hoping4Astars
I hope you realise that Cambridge maths is known for being pretty much one of the most difficult maths courses in the world. Only the most intelligent and committed people can come,the a degree in maths at Cambridge. My guess is that the course at bath will be easier and you are likely to come out of it with a first class degree while this is harder to get at Cambridge. If you doubt your ability to get A*A*A at a level then maybe Cambridge isn't for you. But don't take my word for it, I have never been to Cambridge although I know a lot pf people who have and have said that its maths course is extremely challenging.

Well that's the point of the offer. If I get S,1 then I'm sure I'll thrive at Cambridge. If not, then I won't get in so no need to worry about it being too hard.
Reply 15
Original post by vincrows
Stage 1:
Forget what others say.

Stage 2:

Is it true the number of offers is twice the number of places? What happens if, for argument sake, this year's students turn out to b super bright and all meet the offer, or is that not possible because Cambridge mark the papers and can fiddle the grade boundaries?

Original post by hoping4Astars

It's not true only the best can come out with a degree because part 3 is even more demanding, yet there are students whose 1st was not from Cambridge, passing.

My maths teacher just told me today that there was a girl in my college a couple of years ago who got an offer from Cambridge for maths, but in the end she missed her STEP offer. However, she was still taken by Cambridge, but by a different college from which she got the offer originally. So there IS a chance, that even if you miss your STEP offer, they'll take you. However, I wouldn't rely on this, because Cambridge give more offers for maths than Oxford, knowing that students will miss their STEP offer. I was also told this girl didn't like Cambridge in the end because of workload issues etc.. (I think my teacher just wants to warn me with these stories that university will be harder than college.... I was also warned to get ready for a rejection from Oxford lol. never mind)

If you think about your future, Oxbridge graduates have higher salaries than graduates from other unis in the country. I know everyone says "university is supposed to be the best 4 years of your life" but there is also a life after university and you have to think about that, too.

Last year one of my friends applied to Bath (and got an offer), and wanted to apply to Oxford but changed his mind because "Oxbridge students don't have a life". I really don't agree with this, just because there's more workload, it doesn't mean you don't/can't have a life. Oxbridge students look just as normal as everyone else. I'm not sure how crazy you are about maths, (I even integrate in my dreams haha) but if you really are, Cambridge is the best place for you.
Vincrows gives good advice. Go with your heart after re-visiting the unis.

I would add that you should only go to Cam if you feel sure that you want the absolute maximum challenge to yourself. The work load is very very heavy, the talent of your fellow students will be phenomenal. If you feel you want those things, if that is where you could thrive best, you should go for it. Getting in is only the beginning.
Original post by lotsofq
Is it true the number of offers is twice the number of places? What happens if, for argument sake, this year's students turn out to b super bright and all meet the offer, or is that not possible because Cambridge mark the papers and can fiddle the grade boundaries?

It's not true only the best can come out with a degree because part 3 is even more demanding, yet there are students whose 1st was not from Cambridge, passing.

Probably more than half of students fail their offer but a reasonable proportion of these still get accepted through the summer pool. A 1,1 (failed S,1) will get accepted over somebody who missed a 1,1 offer. However if you look here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
you can see that of about 500 offers about 250 get accepted. Some of the difference will be people who go to universities abroad or Imperial or even Bath.

It is true that if you get S,1 you probably have it in you to do well but if you feel ambivalent it may be hard to put the work in. I think STEP distinguishes those who are both clever and the committed.
A 1st from Bath will open as many doors as a 2:2 from Cambridge a 2:1 may not.
Having said that Maths degrees are incredibly marketable and you are unlikely to struggle to get a good job if you are Cambridge offer standard.

I get the impression that a true Cambridge mathematician loves maths and enjoys engaging with STEP but perhaps others will tell me that's wrong.
Reply 19

At the end of the day you are the one that is going to be studying maths for at least 3 years. It's got to be somewhere you feel comfortable and in your gut know that it's the right place for you. Congratulations on achieving an offer from Cambridge! It's a hell of a lot of hard work, one of best friends found out she'd also received an offer on Tuesday ironically also for maths :smile: I visited Bath on their open day last June and loved it (very biased as Bath is one of my favourite places) but having changed courses etc.. for what I was applying to study, Bath don't offer my course so I haven't unfortunately applied. :frown:

People say because Cambridge is world renowned that obviously it should be easy to put them as your first choice but Cambridge isn't the only uni in the world and plenty of employers do actually look beyond Oxbridge (I don't think some people seem to realise that - not in a harsh way and. I 'me not pointing a finger at anyone!!). Bath has an excellent reputation worldwide particularly in physics, maths and business so it's not as if you were rejecting Cambridge for a university ranked in 78th position. At the end of the day it's your life! Do what makes you happy - Oxbridge isn't everything for everyone :smile: Good luck xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending