The Student Room Group

Girl taking off her headscarf

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairychocolate
Neither group of women is necessarily brave.

A girl could take off the veil due to fear of discrimination. Is that 'brave'?

A girl could wear the veil due to pressure from her community. Is that 'brave'?

Good post
Neither group of women is necessarily brave.

A girl could take off the veil due to fear of discrimination. Is that 'brave'?

A girl could wear the veil due to pressure from her community. Is that 'brave'?

Yes, it is brave. A woman choosing to go against her will, pride and perhaps even her personal sense of dignity for the sake of her own protection is brave.
Original post by fire_and_ice
Yes, it is brave. A woman choosing to go against her will, pride and perhaps even her personal sense of dignity for the sake of her own protection is brave.

Conversely, a woman willing to partly sacrifice what she believes so that she is treated a bit better isn't what I'd call 'brave'.
Original post by aarora
What is a 'regular muslim' and also that is not true. I don't think 'regular' muslims would leave her be. Some might, but not all. People would definitely bitch about the girl for a while and make accusations like oh look at her she's not religious anymore blah blah. This happened to one of my friends who decided to take off her scarf, eventually people got over it but they still bitched about it for ages and it was mainly the Muslims who carried on going on about it!

A regular muslim is one who has his/her interpretation of the Qu'ran and follows it, without pushing their particular interpretation of Islam upon anyone else. An islamist forces their views upon others within (and sometimes outside) the religion. The people who were bitching about it were islamist muslims, as they were seeking to force their view of what it means to be a muslim upon someone else

Islamism is a contraction of Islamofascism, fascism means you want everyone to be the same. So if you were to point to a gay muslim and say that he/she cannot be both muslim and gay, that would be an islamist behaviour.

Islamists are against plurality, whether this be in general or just people within what they perceive to be the Islamic community. It's worth noting that there are hundreds of thousands of Islamic communities across the world, Wahhabism is just the most visible at the moment.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm Muslim and it doesn't bother one bit if someone decides to take of their headscarf unless they've been going around preaching Islam and looking down on Muslims who don't wear the hijab and then take it off. That really bothers me.
I don't say anything to them because I don't think I have the right to do so, I keep my thoughts to myself but don't approve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Conversely, a woman willing to partly sacrifice what she believes so that she is treated a bit better isn't what I'd call 'brave'.

One could also argue the same for Sikhs choosing to remove their turbans after the 9/11 for merely wanting to be 'treated a bit better', but we know that wasn't the case.
One could also argue the same for Sikhs choosing to remove their turbans after the 9/11 for merely wanting to be 'treated a bit better', but we know that wasn't the case.

Wearing a headscarf/turban or not wearing one is not inherently brave as there are a multitude of reasons for wearing one or not wearing one, many of which can't be classified as 'brave'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wearing a headscarf or not wearing one is not inherently brave as there are a multitude of reasons for wearing one or not wearing one, many of which can't be classified as 'brave'.

I didn't declare that it is merely classified as brave. Of course, there are a number of other reasons and contributing factors as to why/why not a woman may choose to wear one. What I said about women being brave in choosing to wear one was in response to what the other member implied.
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't declare it as being merely classified as brave. Of course, there are a number of other reasons and contributing factors as to why/why not a woman may chose to wear one. What I said about women being brave in choosing to wear one was in response to what the other member implied.

And what I said is that I think both of your statements are incorrect since they are over-simplified.
And what I said is that I think both of your statements are incorrect since they are over-simplified.

Stating that a woman is brave for choosing to wear a hijaab on her will is not oversimplified.
Stating that a woman is brave for choosing to wear a hijaab on her will is not oversimplified.

'Choose to wear a veil' (or not wear one) can be for any number of reasons, as I said. Not all of those reasons are brave.
'Choose to wear a veil' (or not wear one) can be for any number of reasons, as I said. Not all of those reasons are brave.

I know, and I agree. Like you said, not all of the reasons are brave, but wearing it because one has the will to do so is indeed brave.
I know a girl who is Muslim and doesn't wear a headscarf at all - in her sect, she was given a choice.

Even still - why would I ask? It has nothing to do with me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Regular Muslims would leave her be. Islamists Muslims would attack her for her decision, whether verbally or physically. Non-muslims wouldn't care.

What on Earth is an Islamist muslim? Is Islamist another name for Muslim?
I would at first jokingly look away and thats about it, clearly they are comfortable with doing so or for a reason. It doesn't have anything to do with me either.
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think of girls that stop wearing a headscarf?
As someone that is not themselves Muslim what would you think? Would you say anything to her, like ask why she stopped? And would you find it weird if she wore it sometimes and didn't sometimes or would you not even notice?

If you can, just stop. Just stop wearing a head scarf, not to be mean, but really just stop
Regular Muslims would leave her be. Islamists Muslims would attack her for her decision, whether verbally or physically. Non-muslims wouldn't care.

No such thing as a "regular muslim". you either follow Islam or you don't. A muslim submits their will to Allah, if you don't do that then you aren't a Muslim. End of.

Also, what muslims would attack a "muslim" girl who doesn't wear a hijab - never seen anyone do that.
Lmao. You can't be Muslim and gay.
A regular muslim is one who has his/her interpretation of the Qu'ran and follows it, without pushing their particular interpretation of Islam upon anyone else. An islamist forces their views upon others within (and sometimes outside) the religion. The people who were *****ing about it were islamist muslims, as they were seeking to force their view of what it means to be a muslim upon someone else

Islamism is a contraction of Islamofascism, fascism means you want everyone to be the same. So if you were to point to a gay muslim and say that he/she cannot be both muslim and gay, that would be an islamist behaviour.

Islamists are against plurality, whether this be in general or just people within what they perceive to be the Islamic community. It's worth noting that there are hundreds of thousands of Islamic communities across the world, Wahhabism is just the most visible at the moment.
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think of girls that stop wearing a headscarf?
As someone that is not themselves Muslim what would you think? Would you say anything to her, like ask why she stopped? And would you find it weird if she wore it sometimes and didn't sometimes or would you not even notice?

When people take the headscarves off I just find its better not to get involved its there choice not ours

Quick Reply