The Student Room Group

Mock Exam Results

My mock exam results were really shocking and I got extremely bad grades; although I hardly revised and didn't take it as seriously as I should have. Can someone tell me what I can do leading up to the time of the exams to improve my grades?

These are the results I got: These are the results I aspire to get:
English Language : D - A*
Maths: C -A
Geography:A* -A*
RE: B -A*
Additional Science: B -A
Textiles: B -A
History: A* -A*
English Literature: B -A*
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MeerabBieber
My mock exam results were really shocking and I got extremely bad grades; although I hardly revised and didn't take it as seriously as I should have. Can someone tell me what I can do leading up to the time of the exams to improve my grades?

Mainly effort is key to attaining the grades you aspire to get, if you believe you can achieve. Make sure you have all the revision notes done for all the subjects and just slowly get yourself into the process of revision of each subject so you are better prepared nearer to exam period. Your teachers are great sources of advice so make sure you go to them to clear out any issues you find in the subject you take they are there to help. Just stay motivated when revising and I'm sure you'll ace your exams, good luck.
Reply 2
Thank you for your advice!! However I honestly don't know how to get better at maths. My target Grade is an A but I'm still a borderline C/B. Is there anything I can do to improve this?
Thank you for your advice!! However I honestly don't know how to get better at maths. My target Grade is an A but I'm still a borderline C/B. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Use your brain? Stop messing about? Do some work?
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Use your brain? Stop messing about? Do some work?

Shut up.

What exam board are you doing? AQA/Edexcel or..?
Reply 5
Original post by ckfeister
Shut up.

What exam board are you doing? AQA/Edexcel or..?

For maths the exam board I'm doing Edexcel which is known to be particularly hard..
For maths the exam board I'm doing Edexcel which is known to be particularly hard..

Mk.. AQA would of been easier as they give checklist...

Have you tried CPGBook Maths revision CD? Mathsbust.Or you could find the GCSE specification by searching on google " GCSE Maths Edexcel ", and finding the specification from there.
Write the topics down in word and print off with tix boxes, then write it on google to see the youtube videos/sites to find examples of it to see if you know or not. Than work on what you don't know (do all so you go full ability) as you could get an A* instead of A.
What I do for AQA currently, (homeschool)

Edexcel is not known as hard for Maths.

Look for past papers and mark schemes:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/mathematics-a-2010.html

Specification will give you a list of topics and see the other tabs for past papers etc.
Reply 8
Mk.. AQA would of been easier as they give checklist...

Have you tried CPGBook Maths revision CD? Mathsbust.Or you could find the GCSE specification by searching on google " GCSE Maths Edexcel ", and finding the specification from there.
Write the topics down in word and print off with tix boxes, then write it on google to see the youtube videos/sites to find examples of it to see if you know or not. Than work on what you don't know (do all so you go full ability) as you could get an A* instead of A.
What I do for AQA currently, (homeschool)

Thanks for your help! I normally use maths watch which is reasonably ok and I do understand most of the content but I always seem to do not so good in the exams. I'll try doing what you said as I do need more practice.
Reply 9
Thanks for your help! I normally use maths watch which is reasonably ok and I do understand most of the content but I always seem to do not so good in the exams. I'll try doing what you said as I do need more practice.

CGP guide for maths was so so useful I can't recommend it enough, especially as someone who was in set 3 :tongue:

Exam papers then finding the disadvantages. Fill the easier gasp before the harder.
Exam papers then finding the disadvantages. Fill the easier gasp before the harder.

I'll see my weaknesses in the previous mock and work my way through them. I was thinking of doing an A/A* booklet that my teacher gave me. Will that help?
Original post by Azula
CGP guide for maths was so so useful I can't recommend it enough, especially as someone who was in set 3 :tongue:

Ummm can I access them online?
Reply 13

What is the exam board is your science?

Congrats on the geography a* is all I can really say.... I'm predicted an a* and my class work is alright but the exam was awful (I only got a d+). Also, for the language, I was barely passing at all before asking my teacher for help on question 4,.... Jumped straight up to the a. Those results could be a LOT worse.
I'll see my weaknesses in the previous mock and work my way through them. I was thinking of doing an A/A* booklet that my teacher gave me. Will that help?

Ask for G-A* as doing A/A*s on its own will leave the blackholes of the basic maths that could boost your grade more than you expect.
Original post by Pluto1
What is the exam board is your science?

OCR. I didn't revise for the science exam so I was kinda shocked to have gotten a B.
Ask for G-A* as doing A/A*s on its own will leave the blackholes of the basic maths that could boost your grade more than you expect.

Most of my weakest topics are these ones . Although I'll still go through all the content to make sure I secure myself an A
Original post by DystopiaisReal
Congrats on the geography a* is all I can really say.... I'm predicted an a* and my class work is alright but the exam was awful (I only got a d+). Also, for the language, I was barely passing at all before asking my teacher for help on question 4,.... Jumped straight up to the a. Those results could be a LOT worse.

Thanks but there is still room for improvement. Anyway geography isn't so hard and I'm sure you can get that A*. Just consistently revise all the content and case studies and do exam questions. It helps alot. Btw what exam board is it?

I think your grades are fine! Remember, it's only a mock and we have time to improve! I got my results last week and I'm actually okay with them...

These are the mock results I got: These are the results I aspire to get:
Eng Lang: A - A
Eng Lit: B - A
Maths: B - B
Biology: A* - A*
Chemistry: A - A
Physics: A - B (not fussed about getting A for the real thing)
Geography: A - A
French: A* - A (not fussed about getting A* for real thing, bit hit and miss tbh)
Media Studies: B - A
RE: A* - A*
IT: C - B

What I'm gonna be doing to improve my mock grades is just making revision resources now and starting earlier for revision lmao. Do you know what the best way for you, personally, to revise is? Do you like flashcards, posters, notes...? If you don't know yet, maybe you should start experimenting with different revision techniques, see what works best for you, and then start creating resources for the Summer.

I've already done flashcards for 4 out of 9 of the units in all three AQA Sciences and I'm aiming to get all my flashcards done by the end of March possibly (they take a while to make for me..)

There's nothing worse than panicking over a test the night before and I really want to try my best to avoid that. I'm already extremely anxious as it is so I can't afford any additional last minute stress. Just no :/

Btw, do you get study leave at your school? I'm not sure if we are or not here...
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest