The Student Room Group

UCAS deadline day - are you happy with your uni choices?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by djt27
Hey guys, im currently doing an access to engineering course at my local college i was told that there was a UCAS application deadline before Christmas that I missed i spoke to student support because i have never applied to a uni before or completed a ucas application so didnt have a clue of the process and was told they have no knowledge of a deadline apart from june 2016.I went in today to be told that the ucas deadline was today at 6pm. i only found this out off another student that had submitted theirs yesterday and someone else had today. so i rushed and finished mine by 5 today. fewwww or so i thought. i have just finished on the phone with ucas and they have informed me that it now wont be dealt with until next week at the earliest and its now classed as late!!!!! apparently it happens all the time. at no point had anyone been through what happens after you submit the application and how long that takes. im now scared that i wont get in anywhere has anyone been in a similar situation? why do they have a deadline of the 15th when they know that it takes a few days to finish the application? im now left to worry all weekend because everywheres closed.

thanks for reading

Where are you applying and for what course?
Reply 41
Manchester Met University
electrical engineering, engineering design, and also their foundation engineering just in case

also
the university of Manchester foundation engineering as a backup

thanks for your reply
Original post by djt27
Hey guys, im currently doing an access to engineering course at my local college i was told that there was a UCAS application deadline before Christmas that I missed i spoke to student support because i have never applied to a uni before or completed a ucas application so didnt have a clue of the process and was told they have no knowledge of a deadline apart from june 2016.I went in today to be told that the ucas deadline was today at 6pm. i only found this out off another student that had submitted theirs yesterday and someone else had today. so i rushed and finished mine by 5 today. fewwww or so i thought. i have just finished on the phone with ucas and they have informed me that it now wont be dealt with until next week at the earliest and its now classed as late!!!!! apparently it happens all the time. at no point had anyone been through what happens after you submit the application and how long that takes. im now scared that i wont get in anywhere has anyone been in a similar situation? why do they have a deadline of the 15th when they know that it takes a few days to finish the application? im now left to worry all weekend because everywheres closed.

thanks for reading

A late application doesn't necessarily mean you'll get rejected, but it's worth ringing unis to ask what their policies are. If a uni says they won't be lenient or don't have enough spaces left, then you can swap them out and apply to a uni that's more likely to accept you.

Did your college not to a talk with your yeargroup around September (or even the end of last year) to inform you of the process? My sixth form has been constantly reminding us in assemblies and tutorials that the deadline is approaching.

This may sound harsh, but even if your college didn't make sure you knew, you should have made sure that you did. The information is easy to find online, on UCAS's website and elsewhere (for example, here on TSR).

The 30 June deadline is for late applications; applications received later than that date will be entered into Clearing.

The deadline is around this time every year; applications are open from early September. I submitted mine in November. You've had plenty of time - honestly this all could have been avoided if you'd used your initiative and the internet, and stayed on top of things. Take this as a lesson learned, and make sure you're prepared to meet deadlines next time!

Sorry if I sounded harsh - I'm really not saying any of this to be mean.
I'm pretty happy with mine, I received 5 offers to study sociology from Brighton, Exeter, Surrey, Essex and LSE and have firmed LSE and insured Essex :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by rachel x
A late application doesn't necessarily mean you'll get rejected, but it's worth ringing unis to ask what their policies are. If a uni says they won't be lenient or don't have enough spaces left, then you can swap them out and apply to a uni that's more likely to accept you.

Did your college not to a talk with your yeargroup around September (or even the end of last year) to inform you of the process? My sixth form has been constantly reminding us in assemblies and tutorials that the deadline is approaching.

This may sound harsh, but even if your college didn't make sure you knew, you should have made sure that you did. The information is easy to find online, on UCAS's website and elsewhere (for example, here on TSR).

The 30 June deadline is for late applications; applications received later than that date will be entered into Clearing.

The deadline is around this time every year; applications are open from early September. I submitted mine in November. You've had plenty of time - honestly this all could have been avoided if you'd used your initiative and the internet, and stayed on top of things. Take this as a lesson learned, and make sure you're prepared to meet deadlines next time!

Sorry if I sounded harsh - I'm really not saying any of this to be mean.

it wasnt my intention to leave it this late, so yes i am to blame. my father in law passed away just before we broke up for the christmas holiday it was a complete shock and out of the blue i was off for a week and a half before the break and kept in contact with college. it has knocked us all and ive been trying to catching up on assignments and what i've missed.
Original post by djt27
it wasnt my intention to leave it this late, so yes i am to blame. my father in law passed away just before we broke up for the christmas holiday it was a complete shock and out of the blue i was off for a week and a half before the break and kept in contact with college. it has knocked us all and ive been trying to catching up on assignments and what i've missed.

I'm really sorry to hear about your father in law.

That may be something to tell UCAS/your unis as it has obviously affected your studies and you may be eligible for a contextual offer/extenuating circumstances at some/all of your choices. (I'm not 100% sure how this works though, and it's probably different for each of your choices - look on the websites of the unis you're applying to, they may have some information. If not, ring them up.)
Original post by She-Ra
Congratulations :woo:

Do you mind me asking which uni you are unsure about? I'm sure someone in the community will be able to help and give you some info into what it's like :h:

Thanks!!:h: Yes I applied for Northampton University but I wasn't sure until the end because I really liked Northumbria's course.. Good idea if someone has ever attended Northampton's uni please tell me what is it like? :tongue:
Original post by djt27
Manchester Met University
electrical engineering, engineering design, and also their foundation engineering just in case

also
the university of Manchester foundation engineering as a backup

thanks for your reply

Check on UCAS course search to see if they're still open

eg http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/456980/engineering-with-an-integrated-foundation-year?Lat=53.48076&Lng=-2.24263&Feather=7&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2016&Query=engineering&Location=manchester&page=2&providerids=1564&MaxResults=1000&ret=results (engineering with foundation at Manchester)

Look down the left hand side towards the bottom where it says this course is open to applications.

If the university had flagged the course to be set to closed as soon as the deadline passed this wouldn't have a bunch of ticks and so it seems likely they'll accept late applications (but you're best ringing them first thing on Monday to make sure - if they say they're closed you could swap for another course instead).
Original post by PQ
Check on UCAS course search to see if they're still open

eg http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/456980/engineering-with-an-integrated-foundation-year?Lat=53.48076&Lng=-2.24263&Feather=7&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2016&Query=engineering&Location=manchester&page=2&providerids=1564&MaxResults=1000&ret=results (engineering with foundation at Manchester)

Look down the left hand side towards the bottom where it says this course is open to applications.

If the university had flagged the course to be set to closed as soon as the deadline passed this wouldn't have a bunch of ticks and so it seems likely they'll accept late applications (but you're best ringing them first thing on Monday to make sure - if they say they're closed you could swap for another course instead).

PRSOM. Again.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
PRSOM. Again.

It's that time of year. Again. :smile:
Original post by PQ
It's that time of year. Again. :smile:

Shocking how quickly it comes around, isn't it? Much less frantic last minute activity on this forum than previous years, I thought. Perhaps your constant good work and the stickies at the top of the forum have prevented many last minute frenzies.
Reply 51
Are there any international applicants out there, whose first language is not English? :smile:
I submitted my application today, although I already finished up my PS etc. about a month ago...
I'm mostly happy with my original choices - immediately after I submitted, I was considering switching a university as I wasn't sure I'd get an offer. I ended up sticking with the original and it turned out to be the first offer I got, almost as soon as the seven days deadline had passed!

I've received offers from four of my universities (2 AAA, 1 AAB and 1 ABB) and I'm pretty sure I'll end up firming UCL (AAA) and putting Kent (ABB) as insurance, however I'm still going to post offer days - especially Durham and UCL as the choice for firm is between them and I want to be absolutely sure.

I'm still waiting on an offer for Bristol, and this is the only application I'm regretting. I had to submit an extra personal statement of 1000 words, for an offer I most likely won't accept at all! A bit of unnecessary expenditure of effort there... If I could go back, I'd probably switch the course at Bristol from the MArts to the BA, which wouldn't have required the extra PS.
Reply 53
I'm happy
Original post by Shallon
Are there any international applicants out there, whose first language is not English? :smile:
I submitted my application today, although I already finished up my PS etc. about a month ago...

Hey! I'm Italian so yeah:smile: where are you from?
Reply 55
I'm extremely happy with my choices, however I'm not so sure about KCL since they're very selective...
Original post by Shallon

Me! :smile: What is your first language?
I applied for Leicester but I'm not sure whether I'd actually like to go there. Same about Kent, I really love Canterbury (and Whitstable) but I'd prefer to go to uni to a place I've never been before.
Let's not talk about club chem... What school are you going to?
I went to Archies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending