The Student Room Group

HELP, best ways to revise for these subjects??

Hey, I've been wondering what are the best revision techniques are for these subjects at A level - Maths (stats) , Biology, Chemistry and Computer science. Please share some of the best techniques that have worked for you , for these particular subjects , thanks. :smile:
Original post by Phantomx60
Hey, I've been wondering what are the best revision techniques are for these subjects at A level - Maths (stats) , Biology, Chemistry and Computer science. Please share some of the best techniques that have worked for you , for these particular subjects , thanks. :smile:

Try to do as many pastyear papers as possible, definitely. It's a known technique for A-Level as they tend to repeat their questions, unless they;ve changed the syllabus recently.
I did Math, Bio, Chem and Econs.
Reply 2
Thanks , anyone else have good ways of revising for these subjects?
Thanks , anyone else have good ways of revising for these subjects?

Im making notes, i go through the syllabus and tick the things i know, once my notes are done i dive into past papers and do as many of them.

Good luck with revision!
Reply 4
Original post by IComputerScience
Im making notes, i go through the syllabus and tick the things i know, once my notes are done i dive into past papers and do as many of them.

Good luck with revision!

Thanks for sharing , but to be honest I've always thought of note making to be tedious, how do I get into it? do I make long/short notes? how does it actually help? How long does it take on average?
Thanks for sharing , but to be honest I've always thought of note making to be tedious, how do I get into it? do I make long/short notes? how does it actually help? How long does it take on average?

They don't take too long, just make sure you have short sentences explaining something, write formulas down, just go thorugh the syllabus, once you cover most of it its pretty easy to get good grades if you do many past papers
Reply 6
They don't take too long, just make sure you have short sentences explaining something, write formulas down, just go thorugh the syllabus, once you cover most of it its pretty easy to get good grades if you do many past papers

Are you doing maths, biology or chemistry ?? if so , I would like to know how you make notes for them :smile:
Are you doing maths, biology or chemistry ?? if so , I would like to know how you make notes for them :smile:

I do maths, further maths, physics, computer science and spanish :/. For maths I don't make to many notes, mainly the notes are formulas and tips and tricks on how to approach different questions and then do a ton of past papers.

For computer Science, I make notes for the theory part and past papers.

For Physics, pretty similar notes to ensure I know the content and then past papers.

I think if I took Chemistry and Biology I would most probably approach it like I approach physics, make notes to ensure I know the content (using the syllabus) and then dive into past papers.

**** Also a really good website for Mathematics is www.examsolutions.co.uk
Reply 8
I do maths, further maths, physics, computer science and spanish :/. For maths I don't make to many notes, mainly the notes are formulas and tips and tricks on how to approach different questions and then do a ton of past papers.

For computer Science, I make notes for the theory part and past papers.

For Physics, pretty similar notes to ensure I know the content and then past papers.

I think if I took Chemistry and Biology I would most probably approach it like I approach physics, make notes to ensure I know the content (using the syllabus) and then dive into past papers.

**** Also a really good website for Mathematics is www.examsolutions.co.uk

Thanks for the help, do you make your computer science theory notes long or short notes ?
For subjects with a lot of content like chemistry i find detailed notes to be very useful (since if you know all the content you can answer any question basically). What I essentially did was get a ring binder and fir each sub section of the ciurse i would print out the list of things i needed to know from the spec (eg topic 1.7 acid/base you must know ...). I then made notes primarily from chemguide but also a bit from the textbook and chemrevise for more spec specific content and ensured that my notes for that section covered everything. It takes a long time to do but if you do it right yiu essentially have a personalised revision guide to revise from
Thanks for the help, do you make your computer science theory notes long or short notes ?

It depends on the topic, but mainly I try to keep them short, but making sure it covers the syllabus, meaning that I don't have any knowledge gaps going into exams :smile:
It depends on the topic, but mainly I try to keep them short, but making sure it covers the syllabus, meaning that I don't have any knowledge gaps going into exams :smile:

Which examboard do you do for computer science?
Original post by Someboady
Which examboard do you do for computer science?

All my examination boards are CIE :smile: What about you? (Also are you AS or A2) :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
All my examination boards are CIE :smile: What about you? (Also are you AS or A2) :biggrin:

OCR Computer Science... i guess they must be pretty similar? I'm AS. Not a lot of resources for the new specifications unfortunately. Plus my teacher sucks... I'm pretty much self teaching the subject
Reply 14
doing bio, chem and computing
OCR, OCR B and OCR respectively

bio
- mostly memorisation, some understanding required so what I do is open up the textbook, read the process I need to know, put my finger on the paper and literally follow it through like a story, then write it in my notes like a story, and then remember the story and the reason why each thing happens

chem
- don't really know because i'm getting Cs atm ;_; remember the methods for all the experiments (that's just memory work) because there's always an exam question on a method and it's stupid things that always cost you the marks. With the calculations and stuff it's just remembering the equations and substituting the numbers in. And some more memory work with which reaction does what and the conditions for it are, what the mechanism is, any colour changes, which is a little hard to do.

computing
- I just follow this in logical steps as well, just imagine you're the processor and you gotta execute a piece of data, how would you go about it? you gotta get the address, find the item, send the item back to the processor, hold the item to decode it, save it's address and execute it.

that's how i revise anyway :3

Spoiler

OCR Computer Science... i guess they must be pretty similar? I'm AS. Not a lot of resources for the new specifications unfortunately. Plus my teacher sucks... I'm pretty much self teaching the subject

Ye, they must be pretty similar, do you have skype or smthing, I may be able to help you out if your have doubts :smile:
Ye, they must be pretty similar, do you have skype or smthing, I may be able to help you out if your have doubts :smile:

I don't have Skype but if you can send me your email that would be great! Currently trying to fit all the information into my head... Not many resources to prepare with for this specification :frown:
Reply 17
I don't have Skype but if you can send me your email that would be great! Currently trying to fit all the information into my head... Not many resources to prepare with for this specification :frown:

I'm in the same boat , my board is WJEC , doing AS Computer science the new specification, and my teacher just can't teach theory, it's painful.

Quick Reply

Latest