The Student Room Group

Is a teacher allowed to search through my phone?

Is a teacher allowed to search through my phone because someone said I had posted a picture of a student?

They had no evidence other than someone saying it and went through both my private photos and messages

Obviously nothing was found

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not without your permission or a warrant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
So would it be right to make a complaint?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So would it be right to make a complaint?

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98
Not without your permission or a warrant

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had no choice but to let her because I was being threatened with a criminal record, is that counted as my "permission"?
Reply 5
I had no choice but to let her because I was being threatened with a criminal record, is that counted as my "permission"?

Yes, that counts as permission. Should have called the bluff.
Reply 6

No I'm pretty sure that's blackmail...

EDIT: okay maybe not ^^
Reply 7

Blackmail. Should've had a voice recorder and called the bluff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not password protected, no?
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
Yes, that counts as permission. Should have called the bluff.

Original post by z33
No I'm pretty sure that's blackmail...

EDIT: okay maybe not ^^

Original post by Andy98
Blackmail. Should've had a voice recorder and called the bluffPosted from TSR Mobile

Well the whole thing has been huge and all my friends know exactly what happened and can confirm it because then one of my best friends phone was also searched. I was shouted at and told that there was "evidence" and I need to show my phone or else I'll get a criminal record. I couldn't even see what she was scrolling through as she sat opposite me and didn't let me see

My mom was called in but she's furious as they still have no evidence and yet want to punish me despite having completely breached my privacy
Original post by frankieboy
Not password protected, no?

She snatched it off me as I was texting at break and I managed to lock it. Then she put it on the table and said unlock it NOW
oh, don't be so weak, you'll get over it
Original post by kieran12321LFC
oh, don't be so weak, you'll get over it

It's not just the fact she went through my phone

There were many different private things she refused to let me hide
Reply 12
Well the whole thing has been huge and all my friends know exactly what happened and can confirm it because then one of my best friends phone was also searched. I was shouted at and told that there was "evidence" and I need to show my phone or else I'll get a criminal record. I couldn't even see what she was scrolling through as she sat opposite me and didn't let me see

My mom was called in but she's furious as they still have no evidence and yet want to punish me despite having completely breached my privacy

She snatched it off me as I was texting at break and I managed to lock it. Then she put it on the table and said unlock it NOW

So what do you want done about it?
Original post by Reue
So what do you want done about it?

I'm trying to see if the whole thing was even legal to do or if I can get a complaint in
Reply 14
I'm trying to see if the whole thing was even legal to do or if I can get a complaint in

I can't imagine you securing a prosecution. By all means write a complaint to the head teacher or LEA.

Seems pretty serious, what did you do?
Reply 16

How could you get a criminal record if you hadn't done anything? What did you think the police might arrest you for? They certainly weren't going to arrest you for not showing a teacher your phone.
What did you do that they had to go to that extent? It does not make any sense, they should not go by what 'people saw or heard'.
I think only the police would be
Hi dude. As far as I can see the teacher has overextended her authority and violated your rights . With a calm, cool, calculated and sharp response, you could nail this teacher to the floor if you want. Thing is, do you really want to spend all your money consultig a lawyer? My best advice to you would be research some legislation- human rights, privacy laws and acts that have been breached by the teacher at your expense; list these in a formal complaint submitted to the board of governors, headteacher, ofsted, local council, and the department for Education (.gov.uk) and really blow this thing sky high if you feel that strongly about it. I wouldn't recommend contacting all of the aforementioned- yet in my experience some teachers have some superiority complex and need to be put in their place, and this is your chance to do just that my friend- and take back your rights and dignity.

*EDIT* gov website recommends information commissioners office regarding data protection or police for criminal behaviour, assuming your school does not handle your complaint appropriately
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending